Not renewing my subscription.

Pocket-sized war 'comic' that has been around since 1961 and is still going strong.

Moderator: AndyB

Commando CO

Re: Not renewing my subscription.

Post by Commando CO »

stevezodiac wrote: i have always had a huge affection for DC Thomson and hate to cancel my sub so expect a renewal soon.
Cheers for that, Steve. You might also like to know that we're working on a sort of binder/slipcase which will at least keep the copies overcrowding your bedroom in some semblance of order.
colcool007 wrote:After picking up a couple last year and getting a few freebies from Dep CO (Hi, Scott!), I am pleased to see that they are as good as ever and I would enjoy having a mag that I can read from cover to cover and not miss out articles.

Scott is now on a charge for handing out freebies without a fully-endorsed requisition form! I'll check when the new offer goes live, CoolCol, and post a message here with full details.
Commando — home of heroes since 1961

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Have just renewed my sub. Must admit I was beginning to get the shakes anyway. If I could read all four Commandos as soon as they arrive it wouldn't be so bad, now I have hundreds and can't remember which ones I've read. Sometimes I get to about page ten and it all starts to seem familiar. Just a bit of advice to all Commando fans, for years now I have read Alexander Kent's Richard Bolitho books as well as Dudley Pope's Ramage books. Both are set in Nelson's Navy and are exactly what you would get from Commando minus the pictures. A great hero, loved by his crew, who gets out of scrapes both from the French and from superiors who dislike him. I convinced a mate to read the Ramage books and he then went and read all 20 or so of them - said they were brilliant. Ramage finished a few years ago but Bolitho is still going - now over 20 novels published. i suppose they are a seafaring version of Sharpe but I could never get into those books. Plug over.

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

I keep my Commando's at uni in a corner of a shelf (to stop the pile slipping over). Unread ones are turned spine-outwards and are on top. Read ones spine-inwards.

At home i have "a few", so the read ones are kept in a gigantic stack to the rear of the cupboard space theyare in, and new ones in a smaller pile in front.

Of course if you have hundreds all around the place 'setting up' such a system might be a bit of a task in the first place!

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Got my subscription reminder yesterday and posted off the cheque today. Can't remember the price but it was an odd sum like £96.24. Why so? I'm still not happy about paying half my sub for reprints but I feel I have a duty to support DC Thomson who are at least keeping the world of comics ongoing. The trouble is I never actually read my Commandos so have probably close to a 1000 issues still to read. What do other subscribers do? Do you read them as soon as they arrive? I toyed with the idea of reading them on the tube but usually have a good paperback so that's no good. I'm more of an art fan than the writing so just go through them page by page looking at the art. Its always nice when one of Denis McLoughlin's old stories crops up though.

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

I find it extremely encouraging to hear that so many of Commando's readers are in the under 15 age bracket. I guess kids do still read comics, if the comics in question are good enough!

brisey

Post by brisey »

"If we were reprinting original stories from the 60s and 70s would that make them more acceptable as a product to people who already have sizeable collections from the 80s onwards?"

Speaking personally,more from the 60's and 70's would go a long way to filling gaps in my collection.

WHS do a hold service,but they do not pick out the reprints either