Postal strike no-show.

Pocket-sized war 'comic' that has been around since 1961 and is still going strong.

Moderator: AndyB

Phoenix
Guru

Re: Postal strike no-show.

Post by Phoenix »

tony ingram wrote:They could, but a few quid saved isn't really worth the potential damage to the seller's ratings now that ebay have introduced more draconian methods of enforcing 'standards'.
I'm sure I read somewhere, Tony, that eBay were planning to prevent buyers from leaving negative feedback during the postal dispute. If you are a seller, I think it would be worth your while checking this out.

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

I missed a copy of the Beano a couple of weeks ago, probably due to industrial action already taking place in Scotland, which the lovely people in DCT subscriptions replaced very quickly.

I understand that anything due to be sorted or delivered as appropriate on a strike day has been stockpiled to be dealt with when time allows, while sorting and delivery continues as normal for letters posted between strikes.

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

Somewhere out there, I have £360 worth of stock, purchased for a couple of specific buyers. It's already overdue, but I've been informed by my postman that it won't be worth even worrying about it until the weekend as it's likely been held up in London. It appears that RM are working to rule in London, Leeds, Glasgow and Manchester. Delays of up to two weeks are likely for parcels being routed through any of them.
Last edited by tony ingram on 03 Nov 2009, 19:25, edited 1 time in total.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

AndyB wrote: I understand that anything due to be sorted or delivered as appropriate on a strike day has been stockpiled to be dealt with when time allows, while sorting and delivery continues as normal for letters posted between strikes.
Ah, that explains why I received a book from Amazon today that was only posted yesterday.

Thankfully most publishers pay via BACS now, otherwise most of us freelancers would be in a mess. I do sympathize with other self-employed people who have been inconvenienced by this strike though.

Lew
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Just for information purposes, I got a Special Delivery parcel this morning that was posted in London yesterday afternoon.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

That's because special deliveries are a specific priority. They won't be delayed like normal post. So if you're selling on ebay or sending anything else important, use special delivery.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Digifiend wrote:So if you're selling on ebay, use special delivery.
That's all well and good, Digi, but how do you persuade a buyer to pay you the extra for Special Delivery when you are not even allowed to charge for any postage?

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

I don't think things are as bad as they are making out. This morning I got a letter posted last night Second Class, franked at 6.50 pm in Bolton.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Phoenix wrote:
That's all well and good, Digi, but how do you persuade a buyer to pay you the extra for Special Delivery when you are not even allowed to charge for any postage?
Some sellers are still charging postage. They ask buyers to wait for an invoice and add it on then. The amount is mentioned in the comic's description.

Lew

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

Lew Stringer wrote:
Phoenix wrote:
Some sellers are still charging postage. They ask buyers to wait for an invoice and add it on then. The amount is mentioned in the comic's description.

Lew
I suspect these sellers will find themselves being weeded out in time. ebay won't stand for that for long...
Last edited by tony ingram on 10 Nov 2009, 01:14, edited 1 time in total.

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

I haven't received my item yet from a ebay seller after 3 weeks, so I opened a dispute, saying I haven't recieved it which was in the 45 days time limit, 2 hours later I got a email

This email confirms that your dispute with ? is now closed.

Either you have reached a resolution with the seller or the dispute has
been open for more than 20 days.

What on earth is going on the seller hasn't contacted me the dispute was only opened for a couple of hours.

I've emailed them at paypal but I don't expect anything to happen.

How they they just close the dispute?
GGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR I'm gonna close my account sick of ebay and paypal.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

steelclaw wrote:I haven't received my item yet from a ebay seller after 3 weeks, so I opened a dispute, saying I haven't recieved it which was in the 45 days time limit, 2 hours later I got a email

What on earth is going on the seller hasn't contacted me the dispute was only opened for a couple of hours.

I thought eBay were not accepting complaints about lateness during the strikes? Maybe that's it? The backlog still hasn't been cleared.

I'm waiting for a parcel that was posted last Monday.

Lew

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

steelclaw wrote:I haven't received my item yet from a ebay seller after 3 weeks, so I opened a dispute, saying I haven't recieved it which was in the 45 days time limit, 2 hours later I got a email

What's happened is that they've changed the rules of dispute process in the meantime. This is, of course, 'to make it easier to use'.

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

Lew Stringer wrote:

I thought eBay were not accepting complaints about lateness during the strikes? Maybe that's it? The backlog still hasn't been cleared.

I'm waiting for a parcel that was posted last Monday.

Lew
I'm waiting for a parcel that was posted the Saturday before last. Today I received an apologetic email from the seller, explaining that he'd just come back from a weekend away to find that Royal Mail had delivered it back to him, apparently having mistaken the sender's address for the recipient's.

Raven

Post by Raven »

Lew Stringer wrote:

Lew

Most I've checked lately still seem to be doing this - for comics, magazines or books.

One seller has quite a lot of comics up there now and lists them as 'postage free: pick up only.'

Down below he writes 'I will post this item if required, but it will cost £2.75 for UK.' (That's for a single comic.)

A few are pulling that one. Of course, it's that kind of rip-off postage pricing that made Ebay insist on stopping charging for postage (not that people are).

Just noticed another seller trying to sell a 1985 Buster for £29.99! Don't all crowd at once. Says 'free postage' in the official bit, but down below 'postage is £1.95 to UK buyers.'