tracy comic

Discuss all the girls comics that have appeared over the years. Excellent titles like Bunty, Misty, Spellbound, Tammy and June, amongst many others, can all be remembered here.

Moderator: AndyB

Phoenix
Guru

Re: tracy comic

Post by Phoenix »

That's more like it! Can you please give us the issue numbers and dates, Tammyfan. I do have quite a lot of issues of Tracy that I haven't yet checked, so I just might have that serial.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

Phoenix wrote:That's more like it! Can you please give us the issue numbers and dates, Tammyfan. I do have quite a lot of issues of Tracy that I haven't yet checked, so I just might have that serial.
It turns out I have two episodes of the serial, parts 1 and 2. It began with #69. It looks like Haxby (that's his name) is still out to buy the elephant and is trying to force the owner's hand. But I wouldn't be surprised if he turned to something nastier.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

I have issues 1 to 51, apart from 26, 40 and 41, but unfortunately the next issue in my collection is 81. In fact, I only have 12 issues in 1981, and just 10 in 1982. In 1983 I have 18, but these do include the beginning of an almost unbroken run from 203 (Aug. 20 1983) through to the last issue 277 (Jan. 19 1985) before it was amalgamated with Judy. I still need to find the time to catalogue the story content of that run.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

Phoenix wrote:I have issues 1 to 51, apart from 26, 40 and 41, but unfortunately the next issue in my collection is 81. In fact, I only have 12 issues in 1981, and just 10 in 1982. In 1983 I have 18, but these do include the beginning of an almost unbroken run from 203 (Aug. 20 1983) through to the last issue 277 (Jan. 19 1985) before it was amalgamated with Judy. I still need to find the time to catalogue the story content of that run.
Sounds like it's time for the ol' scanner again, then, and send the Jumbo & Jet scans to you. Mine are 69-70, 117, 150, 163. Any lists of stories from those issues you could use?

By the way, if you have the last issue of Tracy, can you tell me if it has a blurb for a serial called "Hard Times for Helen" in the merger? I am trying to complete that serial and have the episodes from Judy & Tracy 1306-1312, but I need to find the earlier ones.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Thank you for the kind offer. I don't have any of them, but I do have numbers either side of all of them, so I would only need information about any serials starting or ending in those issues. I would certainly like to know about those, though, when you have time.

Regarding the question about Hard Times For Helen, the title is definitely mentioned in the box at the bottom right-hand corner of the advert, as you can see from the attachment below, but the serial would appear to start in the first issue of Judy And Tracy. Apart from Little Amy, which starts in the last issue of Tracy, and the continuing one-pager Harvey - Go Home!, all the other serials come to an end in issue 277. As there are no instalments of Junior Nanny, Twin Trouble, Sandra Of The Secret Ballet or Debbie At The School For Horses in 277, the panel must simply be indicating that these characters, familiar to readers of Tracy, will be transferring at some point to the combined title, as an incentive to readers of Tracy to transfer their allegiance to Judy And Tracy.
Attachments
judtracyad.jpg

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

@Phoenix. Okay, thanks. By the way, I have the Judy & Tracy #1306 merger issue, dated 19 January 1985 - the same day that Tracy ended. Now, I've never heard of a final issue and a merger on the same day before. It's also very odd to start to start a new serial in a final issue, even if it was meant to continue in a merger. What was going on here?

And here's Jumbo and Jet. I can't see a way to post the scans to you using this setup, so it shall have to be here. Enjoy!

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Thank you, Tammyfan, for the story details from Tracy that you emailed to me this morning. I've printed them off and put them with my Tracy collection. Also for Jumbo And Jet. I'll read it later today.

I have dug out my issues of Judy round about the merger, and I have looked again at the advert I posted. I am now certain that I misread that small panel. I did realise that the titles in the large boxes were going to appear in the first combined issue, but I then interpreted the expression These TRACY favourites in the small panel as referring to the titles that followed, which it clearly wasn't. I should have realised that because I am well aware that Sandra, the ballet dancer, and Junior Nanny had been Judy favourites for many a long year.

Now I don't have issue 1305 of Judy, but I do have 1304. This issue does contain an instalment of Hard Times For Helen. It doesn't appear to start in that issue either, and a further episode is advertised for the following week. It would appear therefore that you need to get issues of Judy, not Tracy, in order to get the early episodes of a serial that is retained by Judy in the combined title.
Tammyfan wrote:By the way, I have the Judy & Tracy #1306 merger issue, dated 19 January 1985 - the same day that Tracy ended. Now, I've never heard of a final issue and a merger on the same day before. It's also very odd to start to start a new serial in a final issue, even if it was meant to continue in a merger. What was going on here?
I'm not sure how to answer your first question, unless it is that Thomsons were thinking of a week as Saturday to Friday. Tracy came out on Saturdays, and Judy came out on Thursdays, but it is clearly stated in that last issue of Tracy that readers would not have to wait as long for the combined title as they would have had to if they were waiting for Tracy. Incidentally, although the advert says that the new title is out on Wednesday, I assume that that is when the newsagents received it. It will surely have EVERY THURSDAY printed on the cover.

The second question is easier to answer. Little Amy will be providing more continuity, along with further adventures of Harvey - Go Home!, and the return of well-known friends Georgie And The Dragon and Microgirl in order to persuade disappointed Tracy readers to buy the new title.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Darn! There were quite a few Tracys going cheap at Memorabilia today - but I didn't have time to sort through them. :(

- Phil R.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

@Phoenix: Glad you find the Tracy info useful. Yes, I have now realised that Helen did not begin with the merger now that I understand that 1306 is the merger issue. I have already fixed the start to Judy #1301 or thereabouts. Any chance of scans for #1304, by the way? Thanks.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

philcom55 wrote:There were quite a few Tracys going cheap at Memorabilia today
Surely it was all of them, Phil. That will have been Elton the budgie in full flow.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

What's Memorabilia?

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

@Digifiend: thank you.

I guess it wouldn't be complete without the issue where Tracy merged with Judy. Looks like Judy's celebrating her 25th too. A new friend, new blood and a budgie for your birthday eh, Judy? :wink:
Cover artist is Norman Lee.

Last edited by Tammyfan on 24 Mar 2013, 20:51, edited 1 time in total.

NP

Post by NP »

philcom55 wrote:The artwork in particular seems rather substandard
I know, I'm sorry. I'm a bit better nowadays.

Marionette

Post by Marionette »

Tammyfan wrote:@Phoenix. Okay, thanks. By the way, I have the Judy & Tracy #1306 merger issue, dated 19 January 1985 - the same day that Tracy ended. Now, I've never heard of a final issue and a merger on the same day before. It's also very odd to start to start a new serial in a final issue, even if it was meant to continue in a merger. What was going on here?
Spellbound also had a story that started in its final issue and was one of only two that carried over to Debbie. It always struck me as a bit of a cheat.
The Tammy Project: Documenting the classic British girls' comic, one serial at a time.