Egmont Misty Special

Discuss all the girls comics that have appeared over the years. Excellent titles like Bunty, Misty, Spellbound, Tammy and June, amongst many others, can all be remembered here.

Moderator: AndyB

helsbels

Egmont Misty Special

Post by helsbels »

So, what does everyone think of the Misty special? I'm obviously pleased, it was good seeing Misty on sale again (albeit reprinted material, in Smiths only and for a short time!!). The mix of stories and features was good, I'd like to have seen one of John Armstong's stories featured ("The Evil Djinn" or "Dead Man's Eyes" spring to mind), but on the whole I enjoyed the range of stories chosen. I now look forward to the Mistycomic website's special and the "Best of Misty" book from Titan.

Muffy

Re: Egmont Misty Special

Post by Muffy »

It was ok, but not as good as I hoped.

The IPC stories I enjoyed in the late 70s/80s were the 4 or 5 issue ones, rather than the complete 4 or 5 page story's. Interesting that Egmont produced a 'Misty' special rather than their longer-lived Tammy comic (which had more established characters like Pam of Pond Hill). Hopefully Halloween at the end of October will help generate some sales and Egmont will do another special in 2010. :)

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Muffy wrote:It was ok, but not as good as I hoped. The IPC stories I enjoyed in the late 70s/80s were the 4 or 5 issue ones, rather than the complete 4 or 5 page story's.
I agree. One Misty serial that really impressed me was 'A Leap in Time' in which a modern-day schoolgirl lived a double life as a bull-dancer in ancient Crete. Personally I would have preferred a single issue facsimile to the Special, like the copy of Tammy no.1 given away with The Guardian recently. Hopefully Misty will be chosen next time if they make their 'comic week' an annual event.

- Phil Rushton

Earl

Post by Earl »

Thanks for the reminder on this. The Misty one is the main one I wanted as I have no copies of the original series and have never read any of the strips before. Will try and grab a copy from Smith's when I go for my haircut tomorrow.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Gosh! I didn't know WH Smith's did haircuts! :shock:

...though come to think of it I'm not too sure I'd want a 'Smiffy' anyway. :wink:

- Phil Rushton

Earl

Post by Earl »

I may end up looking like that anyway. I just go the place in the Potteries shopping centre.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Amused to find that one entrepreneur has already listed their copy on Ebay and is not shy about making a quick buck. They have listed the starting price at £14.99!
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

:lol: That'll go unsold then! Anything you can still buy in the shops isn't worth more than the RRP.

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

Digifiend wrote::lol: That'll go unsold then! Anything you can still buy in the shops isn't worth more than the RRP.
That's why I waited until three months after the Roy and Battle specials went off sale before selling my extra copies for a nice mark-up. The Misty ones will go in January. :D

I actually thought this was a great improvement on the last two-actual complete stories for a change, that made much more sense!

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

helsbels wrote:I now look forward to the Mistycomic website's special...
I saw this for sale today but couldn't afford it as I'd spent my cash on a load of old comics at the weekend (including half a dozen original Mistys oddly enough). Does anyone know if it's worth getting?

- Phil Rushton