Moonchild

Discuss all the girls comics that have appeared over the years. Excellent titles like Bunty, Misty, Spellbound, Tammy and June, amongst many others, can all be remembered here.

Moderator: AndyB

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Re: Moonchild

Post by colcool007 »

Play nice people.

If any user wants to use a shortened version of a phrase instead of phrase itself, it is down to the individual to put their version in. All we ask is that you grit your teeth and present your reason why you may dislike it and NOT your opinion as to why you dislike it.

Jumping in with size nines is not conducive to reasoned debate.

My preference for shortening Science Fiction is Sci-Fi (pronounced Sigh fie) but people play with words and letters and common usage changes according to their family and their experiences. For example no one in our family says High Wycombe as it should be said (High Wick om) instead we say Hig-ee Whi com bee as it is a family joke and that is how my wife used to say it as a kid.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

I used to collect films full of zombies, disembowelment and eye-gouging. Can't remember anything like this level of nasty sniping on the forums about those, though. It does make you wonder...

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

Yes, Moonchild was, well based on Carrie. 'Hush, Hush, Sweet Rachel' was based on Aubrey Rose. They also planned to do 'Flowers in the Attic' but never got around to it. (Just as well, judging from what I've read about that book.) 'Planet of the Apes' was a strong influence - in 'Madhouse' and 'The Pet Shop' we meet aliens who look like they've come from that planet. Star Wars made little impact (apart from one reference) on Misty despite her being launched during the Star Wars craze. I wonder if 'Welcome Home' was influenced by Firestarter although the girl in that story was just a firebug.

Borrowing from books, TV and films, and sometimes printing adaptations of them, was always in girls' comics. 'The Moon Stallion', 'Queen Rider', 'A Horse Called September', a few of the Trebizon books, 'The Good Life', 'Portrait of Dorian Grey' 'All Creatures Great and Small', 'Catweazle' and 'Grange Hill' were some of them.

Marionette

Post by Marionette »

There's a story in Jinty called Worlds Apart, which is about a group of girls who travel through a series of worlds, each one being based on aspects of one member of the group. It's a complete steal from Philip K. Dick's novel Eye in the Sky, but that's a more esoteric source than most.
The Tammy Project: Documenting the classic British girls' comic, one serial at a time.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

Marionette wrote:There's a story in Jinty called Worlds Apart, which is about a group of girls who travel through a series of worlds, each one being based on aspects of one member of the group. It's a complete steal from Philip K. Dick's novel Eye in the Sky, but that's a more esoteric source than most.
I feel Worlds Apart would have been even better if Jinty hadn't been under pressure to wind it up and make her final seven issues the 'countdown' to her merge with Tammy. The last world got short shrift (1 1/2 episodes in contrast to the 4-5 the others received), was not developed as much as it could have been, and the girl concerned didn't learn any lessons from her world as the others did. Yes, you can tell that Jinty was under pressure to wind up Worlds Apart quickly because the last two episodes changed to a four-page spread. When you get that or double episodes, it's the sure sign they're trying to clear that serial out fast because they've got big changes coming up.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Yeah, still happens now... the Dandy burned off several strips recently by using multiple stories in the same issue. The reason is that otherwise, they had enough material to last into January, but it's closing in December.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Tammyfan wrote:Borrowing from books, TV and films, and sometimes printing adaptations of them, was always in girls' comics.
I think Pat Mills and the people behind IPC's 'new trend' titles began to swipe ever more blatantly from current films and TV in a deliberate attempt to capture the 'zeitgeist' or a reasonable facsimile thereof (as opposed to their predecessors' dogged reliance on the tried and tested formulae of decades). Thus, even as Misty turned 'Carrie' into 'Moonchild', Action turned 'Jaws' into 'Hookjaw' and 'Rollerball' into 'Death Game', while 2000AD turned 'The Six Million Dollar Man' into 'MACH One' and 'ET' into 'Skizz'.

- Phil Rushton