Moonchild

Discuss all the girls comics that have appeared over the years. Excellent titles like Bunty, Misty, Spellbound, Tammy and June, amongst many others, can all be remembered here.

Moderator: AndyB

fústar

Moonchild

Post by fústar »

Does anyone have any scans of the final episode of Misty's "Moonchild" they'd be willing to share? Don't care about the quality, just interested in the story.

Rosemary is teased mercilessly. Falls over the banisters. Then floats back up majestically and menacingly to kick some bully ass.

Where does it go from there? She burns down the house, no? Can't for the life of me remember the exact details of the denouement.

Tonibunny

Re: Moonchild

Post by Tonibunny »

My pleasure Fústar - the entire story was reprinted in the 1983 Misty annual, which is the one I've been lucky enough to pick up at an affordable price! Follow the link to my Flickr pages and you'll be able to read the rest of the story (click on the magnifying glass at the top right and then click on "All sizes" to see the scans full-size). Let me know if you need any more pages doing :)

Moonchild, Misty annual 1983 p100

ETA Just realised that Fustar requested this a year ago - still I hope it's useful anyway!

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

lol, it pays to check when things were posted before replying. Luckily, we don't frown on bumping up old threads here, but I know some forums which do.

Tonibunny

Post by Tonibunny »

Luckily this is the sort of forum where you can still post relevant stuff to a thread months afterwards! I'm sure there will always be people interested in Moonchild :D

peace355

Post by peace355 »

This was a great story, I know Pat Mills wrote this, just wondering who was the artist though?

RuthB

Post by RuthB »

I think it is John Armstrong, he was responsible for the drawing of Bella of the Bar too

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Definitely John Armstrong. You can see his distinctive 'JA' signature in the fourth panel.

Here it is again in the bottom left-hand corner of the splash panel from Misty no.1:

It's a great story, but was clearly influenced by the film 'Carrie'.

- Phil R.

Marionette

Post by Marionette »

philcom55 wrote:
It's a great story, but was clearly influenced by the film 'Carrie'.

- Phil R.
It was an unashamed steal from Carrie, including many of the original's story beats, but this wasn't rare for the period. Even 2000ad was full of cheap copies of popular sciffy movies in the 70's. Skizz started out as an E.T. Clone.

Moonchild was followed by a rather less successful rewrite of another Stephen King story, Christine.
The Tammy Project: Documenting the classic British girls' comic, one serial at a time.

peace355

Post by peace355 »

Yes Pat Mills has openly said it was based on Carrie. John Armstrong of course! I actually knew he drew "Bella of the Bar" but didn't make the connection straight away, it was annoying me because it looked so familiar!

Thanks for the quick replies :)

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

peace355 wrote:"Bella of the Bar"
Presumably about a gymnast, not a solicitor? :lol:

-MikeD-

Post by -MikeD- »

Marionette wrote:Even 2000ad was full of cheap copies of popular sciffy movies in the 70's. Skizz started out as an E.T. Clone.
'Sciffy'..? Jesus, thats the most stupid, twee and irritating word I've ever seen on a forum - congratulations!

Just to be a little more accurate, and apologies to everyone who already knows this, but Moore claims he hadn't seen ET when he wrote Skizz. His brief boiled down to 'write about an alien stranded on Earth'...
My new art blog...beta version... http://mikedcuk.blogspot.co.uk

Marionette

Post by Marionette »

-MikeD- wrote:
Marionette wrote:Even 2000ad was full of cheap copies of popular sciffy movies in the 70's. Skizz started out as an E.T. Clone.
'Sciffy'..? Jesus, thats the most stupid, twee and irritating word I've ever seen on a forum - congratulations!
And yet still not as bad as Syfy. :P
The Tammy Project: Documenting the classic British girls' comic, one serial at a time.

Marionette

Post by Marionette »

felneymike wrote:
peace355 wrote:"Bella of the Bar"
Presumably about a gymnast, not a solicitor? :lol:
Now I want to read that; Bella Barlow, solicitor for the defence.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Marionette wrote:popular sciffy movies
Marionette wrote:And yet still not as bad as Syfy.
Marionette wrote:Now I want to read that; Bella Barlow, solicitor for the defence.
MikeD is quite correct in his judgement because the word sciffy does not exist, and, as a consequence, people seeing it would automatically pronounce it like jiffy or squiffy. It is considerably worse than syfy for the simple reason that syfy demands to be pronounced as it is spelt, thus making it a reasonable alternative to sci fi. In your third pronouncement, it seems to me that you are trying too hard, and consequently failing, to be funny. You are new to the forum, apparently intelligent, and quite articulate. Why do you not confine yourself, for your first few hundred posts at least, to making sensible points, whenever you feel that your knowledge and experience can be relied on to add something useful to a thread, rather than offering the undistinguished, and somewhat childish, humour that I referred to above, and the unreasonably aggressive attitude that you recently displayed towards Lew Stringer, one of our most respected members.

chrisb

Post by chrisb »

Alternatively, you could come across as pompous and arrogant with no sense of humour :wink: