Favourite characters/stories in girl's comics

Discuss all the girls comics that have appeared over the years. Excellent titles like Bunty, Misty, Spellbound, Tammy and June, amongst many others, can all be remembered here.

Moderator: AndyB

Phoenix
Guru

Re: Favourite characters/stories in girl's comics

Post by Phoenix »

stevezodiac wrote:On that Catch the Cat cover the Germans are saying "It starts off Achtung and then some dumkopf has written the rest in English, shweinhund! Ve vill nezzer know what eet says"
Exactly!! Given that the Cat was active in occupied France the announcement should have been in German, or at least in French so that any collaborators in the town anxious to join the search party would have been able to understand it. I suppose, though, that in this kind of pictorial suggestion, realism reluctantly has to take a back seat. :roll: :D

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

They could've put it in French or German and used a caption to translate it into English?
ISPYSHHHGUY wrote:I love that illustration above for CATCH the CAT: it's very similar in concept to a recent test drawing I done for my own strip: 'catch the cat' came first by a long chalk, obviously....it just goes to show how nothing is truly original out there.

Spider-Man is even earlier (not sure about Spider-Woman)! :lol:

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Tonibunny wrote:The story was The Taming of the Tearaway :D When I saw it in 1987 it must have been a reprint because the Lucky Charm edition is from 1983.
Did you win The Taming Of Teresa, Tonibunny? The winning bid was in the region of £6.50 including p&p, and that has to be a very fair price indeed.

Tonibunny

Post by Tonibunny »

It's The Taming Of The Tearaway that I'm hoping to get, and the auction for that one finishes tomorrow. It would be totally fab to get that, my best friend who used to borrow my Buntys (still my best friend, I'm her son's godmum) would love to read it too :D

Tonibunny

Post by Tonibunny »

No Taming of the Tearaway for me :( It went for a stupid amount, I'm a medical student at the moment and am completely broke. Ah never mind!

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Tonibunny wrote:No Taming of the Tearaway for me :( It went for a stupid amount
The winning bidder, 2***2, as well as paying £28.89 for issue 26 The Taming Of The Tearaway, paid £11 for issue 28 Janet The Janitor. These prices are interesting because when I made the point several months ago that issues of Lucky Charm were worth quite a lot of money, I got the impression that some members didn't believe me. Better luck next time, Tonibunny.

Tonibunny

Post by Tonibunny »

Thanks Phoenix. Never mind, there are still plenty of cheapish annuals that I can stretch to. I have just treated myself to Jinty 1983 for a quid from Abebooks :) I've never read Jinty before so I'm looking forward to that.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Miss T bunny. I have a bag full of girl's annuals over at my Mum's flat. Its dark blue with ladybirds on it, no the bag not my mum's flat you dunderhead! I am gradually moving stuff over here so may make that my next job but they are bleedin' heavy. They have all had an outing on ebay without success so maybe I can offload some on you? Probably 70s vintage. I know there is a Judy annual among them from around 1971. I just want to make space and annuals (because of their bulk) are the first to go.

Tonibunny

Post by Tonibunny »

That would be wonderful Steve, I'm a bit broke but if you have anything I don't have then I'm happy to pay a reasonable amount :) Plus having a few sent from the same place would prob cut down on postage costs! Fab, thank you so much :D

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I'll have a look on Saturday but I wouldn't dream of asking for payment. My mate Steve gives me loads of his comic doubles which I sell on ebay (if I don't want them myself) so now its my turn to be charitable. He also picks up Alter Ego magazine for me and never asks payment for it - we comic fans are good people and its nice to encourage a younger fan.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

If you simply want to read The Taming Of The Tearaway, Tonibunny, as opposed to owning the Lucky Charm or the relevant run of Bunty, I would be prepared to photocopy the issue of Lucky Charm for you - free of charge obviously, as I may just need some hospital treatment in your area one of these days. :lol: If so, give me a fortnight as I still have some research to do for Raven first!! :oops: :roll:

Tonibunny

Post by Tonibunny »

Oh my gosh you are all so kind!!!! Thank you SO much!! I really do appreciate it :D Let me know what you are looking out for, both of you, and I'll keep my eyes peeled. And of course I'll pay whatever postage costs there are.

I'm very touched at your generosity, thank you :D

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Phoenix wrote:
Tonibunny wrote:No Taming of the Tearaway for me :( It went for a stupid amount
The winning bidder, 2***2, as well as paying £28.89 for issue 26 The Taming Of The Tearaway, paid £11 for issue 28 Janet The Janitor. These prices are interesting because when I made the point several months ago that issues of Lucky Charm were worth quite a lot of money, I got the impression that some members didn't believe me. Better luck next time, Tonibunny.
That means he, or she, paid as much for one issue as I did for 26 of the 30 issues a few months ago i.e £30. It was certainly a bargain then and seems even more so now.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

While you're waiting here's an intriguing page from what I take to be 'Tearaway's' original run in 1976, featuring some suprisingly good - if unappreciated - advice on eating:

...As a matter of interest I wonder if anyone can identify this 'Mystery Artist'?

- Phil Rushton

Tonibunny

Post by Tonibunny »

This is another artist I was hoping to identify! I've got more examples of their work from other stories, including one from the Bunty annual 2009 (although that's going to have been a reprint). I'll start a thread in the Artists forum :)