Favourite characters/stories in girl's comics

Discuss all the girls comics that have appeared over the years. Excellent titles like Bunty, Misty, Spellbound, Tammy and June, amongst many others, can all be remembered here.

Moderator: AndyB

Tammyfan

Re: Favourite characters/stories in girl's comics

Post by Tammyfan »

philcom55 wrote:
Tammyfan wrote:Looks like we are getting close to the ending with this episode, dated 24 June 1972. Assuming Hantz is right, where's your money on who The Cat is?
Curiouser and curiouser! It sounds as though the Cat has to be a transvestite, an old woman or Janine herself...or maybe Hantz himself suffered from multiple personality syndrome, with a cross-dressing alter-ego that even he didn't know about! :shock:

On the subject of all-black costumes, Diana's Black Nightingale was another early-70s heroine who wore similar attire to fight the nazis in occupied Europe - and while she didn't model herself on any kind of cat she didn't look much like her namesake either:

- Phil Rushton
Or The Cat has stowed away on board. Or more likely, Hantz is wrong. Perhaps someone passed him the information to stop the transport and then attack. It does say there is going to be a double attack in the next episode.

Thanks for the info about The Black Nightingale!
Last edited by Tammyfan on 25 Sep 2013, 21:57, edited 1 time in total.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

Marionette wrote:
Tammyfan wrote:Grappling Gertie is not listed in the Bunty or Mandy indiceshttp://girlscomicsofyesterday.com/2011/ ... ries-a-h/. But there are still gaps in the lists, so she still could have appeared in either Mandy or Bunty.
Well she's in the 1992 Bunty annual, so she should be listed for that, at least. Or don't the indeces include annuals? It just feels odd that these should be the only appearances. They (particularly Gertie's Schooldays) feel like spin offs to some lost serial.
They say an index for the annuals is in progress.

matrix

Post by matrix »

This strip 'The Cat girl' is from a 'June picture library', about a girl Cathy, who has a cat suit that when on allows her to act like a cat!

Is it a reprint? Has this one already been discussed?
Attachments
Cat girl 1.jpg
Cat girl 2.jpg

helsbels

Post by helsbels »

matrix wrote:This strip 'The Cat girl' is from a 'June picture library', about a girl Cathy, who has a cat suit that when on allows her to act like a cat!

Is it a reprint? Has this one already been discussed?
This is a story about the very same Cat Girl from Sally/Tammy, but just a one off for the picture library by the looks of it (I'm not sure if it would've appeared anywhere else prior to this -definitely not in the weekly comic). Looks like the art is by Thewenetti.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

Yes, I have come across that one. I may even still have it in my collection.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

I would like to have scans of a Catch the Cat story from a Bunty annual where The Cat tries to stop the Nazis erecting a statue of Hitler. The statue ends up in the river. I don't know which annual, but it was drawn by Hugh Thornton-Jones. Can anyone help, please? Thank you.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

That five-page story was in the 1981 Bunty annual. Here are the first three pages.
Attachments
CTCHitler1.jpg
CTCHitler2.jpg
CTCHitler3.jpg

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Now the other two.
Attachments
CTCHitler4.jpg
CTCHitler5.jpg

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

Thank you, Phoenix.

Now I've refreshed myself on the story I see the statue is not Hitler. A bit disappointing - though I enjoyed the story I reckon the it would have been even stronger and more satisfying if the statue had been Hitler.

I do have to wonder, along with the Commandant - how did The Cat get the sign on the statue's arm before it sank?

It's sad that The Cat's annual appearances always end with her so miserable and lonely at facing the bullying next morning after a hard but successful night of fighting Nazis.
Last edited by Tammyfan on 16 Oct 2016, 09:38, edited 1 time in total.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

The Commandant must have been turning into one fat Nazi over time. In the original story he was a leaner man, but later he looked fatter and more hefty. Perhaps it was all those eggs Marie kept giving him.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Tammyfan wrote:I do have to wonder, along with the Commandant - how did The Cat get the sign on the statue's arm before it sank?
So do I. Perhaps because the story just about hangs together, and is a one-off for an annual, it did not receive the required editorial scrutiny. A mistake of that magnitude could hardly have occurred in the weekly.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

Phoenix wrote:
Tammyfan wrote:I do have to wonder, along with the Commandant - how did The Cat get the sign on the statue's arm before it sank?
So do I. Perhaps because the story just about hangs together, and is a one-off for an annual, it did not receive the required editorial scrutiny. A mistake of that magnitude could hardly have occurred in the weekly.
Along with where did Marie get the crowbar, knife and sign?

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Tammyfan wrote:Along with where did Marie get the crowbar, knife and sign?
And where does she put her hand pads when she takes them off?

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

Does anyone have Catch the Cat #1161, the last page of the episode in #1159 and middle page to the episode in #1163? Thank you for any help.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Tammyfan wrote:Does anyone have Catch the Cat #1161, the last page of the episode in #1159 and middle page to the episode in #1163?
Yes, I do, Briony. However I will have to ask you to wait until next week for any scans as my London grandchildren, Aurora (5) and Kelsey (2), are currently staying with me until Saturday, and they take a deal of looking after. ''Grandad, can we go/will you please take us to/ the park/ some play zones/ the swimming baths/ Southport''. Mind you, to be totally honest, I would actually much rather be taking them places than rooting through back issues of Bunty. They get me out of the house, and we have a lot of fun. It's simply a question of priorities. I'm sure you can understand this.