Looking for a story from School Friend? annual c1950s

Discuss all the girls comics that have appeared over the years. Excellent titles like Bunty, Misty, Spellbound, Tammy and June, amongst many others, can all be remembered here.

Moderator: AndyB

Tonibunny

Looking for a story from School Friend? annual c1950s

Post by Tonibunny »

Hi everyone,

I'm new here so I hope I don't spam you all at once with my enthusiasm :D

I have a collection of my mother's old School Friend annuals from the 1950s, but as a child I can clearly remember reading a picture strip story in a girls annual and I can't find the actual annual that it contains. This is bugging me as I can't imagine where it went!

All I remember of the story is that it's about a matron at a children's home. She has some sort of birthday (or it could be Christmas or a her leaving do or something), and at the end of the strip she is presented with a brooch by a little boy who says "To you Mummy Matron, with all our love".

If anyone knows the School Friend annuals vaguely well, does this sound at all familiar?

Thanks tons!
Toni :)

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Re: Looking for a story from School Friend? annual c1950s

Post by felneymike »

It isn't the 1950 (which has no picture stories), 1957 or 1958 annuals, if that helps narrow it down :lol:

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

felneymike wrote:It isn't the 1950 (which has no picture stories), 1957 or 1958 annuals, if that helps narrow it down
To narrow the search further I can confirm that there are no picture stories in 1951 either. There are ten picture stories in 1952 but none of them remotely match your plot outline, Tonibunny.

Tonibunny

Post by Tonibunny »

Thank you both! How strange. I'm wondering if it appeared in some sort of one-off girls' annual instead, my mum had several of those too (with names like "Deans' Golden Book for Girls").

It's not the 1953 annual as I have that here, and I'm sure it's not 1958-1962 either (I have those at my mum's house). The cover of 1955 looks vaguely familiar for some reason but it's so long ago! I'm just going to have to buy the annuals I don't have, aren't I? Damn :lol:

I didn't realise that the pre-1952 annuals only had text stories. That's good to know, it will save me from buying them for now :)

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

It's worth remembering that AP also published Girls' Crystal Annuals throughout the 1950s in an almost identical format to the School Friend ones (though unfortunately I've checked the copies I have and can't find anything like the story you describe).

- Phil Rushton

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

I've got all the School Friend and Girl's Crystal Annuals for the 1950's and, apart from the 1955 School Friend which I can't find at the moment, the story isn't in any of the rest. So if it is to be a AP girls annual from the 1950's that your story appeared in Toni it looks like the 1955 School Friend is favourite. As already pointed out the School Friend annual didn't include picture strips until 1952, to bring it in line with the AP weekly girls' picture paper 'School Friend' that had been launched in 1950 and the Girl's Crystal annual didn't include picture adventure strips until the 1954 edition, again to bring it in line with the Girl's Crystal weekly that had went from story paper to picture paper in early 1953 after 900+ issues.

Tonibunny

Post by Tonibunny »

Thanks Kashgar! How confusing, I was convinced it was a School Friend. I'm sure it wasn't Girls' Crystal or Girl because I think I'd have remembered it, so I'm at a loss. Unless it was a later annual and I'm remembering it completely wrong!!!

Oh well, hopefully I'll come across it at some point :D Thanks for your help everyone!

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Just checked the 1955 SF annual and its not in there either. Verily art thou leading us in pursuit of an untamed Goose!