Sandie

Discuss all the girls comics that have appeared over the years. Excellent titles like Bunty, Misty, Spellbound, Tammy and June, amongst many others, can all be remembered here.

Moderator: AndyB

Digifiend

Re: Sandie

Post by Digifiend »

She ate some cheese and that got her sent back in time? Weird.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Digifiend wrote:She ate some cheese and that got her sent back in time? Weird.
Come off it, Digi. As a time portal into the past, cheese is no more weird than an oddly patterned patch in the seat of a pair of short pants, and you seem perfectly happy with that concept.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Jimmy's Magic Patch was apparently enchanted by a gypsy's magic. Eating something to time travel is rather more off the wall than that, I reckon.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Digifiend wrote:Jimmy's Magic Patch was apparently enchanted by a gypsy's magic. Eating something to time travel is rather more off the wall than that, I reckon.
How so? Since time travel is currently impossible, any hook a writer comes up with on which to hang his or her version of the concept must inevitably be an invention, a fictional device. I would then argue that all methods are equally valid, no one approach could possibly be more, or less, off the wall than any other. Far more interesting developments of the theme can be found in Robert Heinlein's novel The Door Into Summer, for example, and I can particularly recommend the three made-for-TV series Primeval, in which the time travelling goes into the future as well as into the past, with the resulting timelines causing all sorts of anomalies. The latest rerun of series two finished tonight on the Watch channel but episode one (of ten) of series three starts tomorrow evening at 8 o'clock on the same channel. Unfortunately you do need Sky or Virgin to access it.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Thanks for putting up the BOBBY DAZZLER covers, Phoenix: this is the first time I have seen this imagery in 40 years at least...sure brings back the memories!

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

On the Great Cheese Debate, I reckon if you factor in the concept of past life regression this form of time travel is no more absurd than Marcel Proust's use of petite madelaine biscuits dunked in tea in his famous novel A la Recherche du Temps Perdu. :P

- Phil Rushton

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

philcom55 wrote:On the Great Cheese Debate, I reckon if you factor in the concept of past life regression this form of time travel is no more absurd than Marcel Proust's use of petite madelaine biscuits dunked in tea in his famous novel A la Recherche du Temps Perdu. :P

- Phil Rushton

I reckon our corner shop must have Time Travel Cheese because the slice I almost bought yesterday was out of date!

I'll get me coat. :coat:

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Lew Stringer wrote:I reckon our corner shop must have Time Travel Cheese because the slice I almost bought yesterday was out of date!
That could be a great idea for one of your future cartoons, Lew, unless you've already used it, of course. :D

Shaqui

Post by Shaqui »

I would have thought the cheese was a very big giveaway that this was a dream, no matter how historically educational, if anyone has read 'Dreams of the Rarebit Fiend'...

:lol:

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Shaqui wrote:I would have thought the cheese was a very big giveaway that this was a dream, no matter how historically educational, if anyone has read 'Dreams of the Rarebit Fiend'...
...Ah! But Winsor McCay was clearly misled by the common superstitions of his day. Modern Science has since discovered that the fumes from any strong cheese have the very real ability to curdle the fabric of space and time. It is for this reason that the Time Lords made their home on Galifrey, which is a planet made entirely of cheese; what's more the heart of Doctor Who's TARDIS is a piece of Gorgonzola so offensively pungent that it is capable of driving lesser beings completely insane. (...I recently submitted a long article on this exciting new branch of physics to The New Scientist - though for some inexplicable reason they have yet to actually print it! :roll: )

- Phil Rushton

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Phoenix wrote:
Digifiend wrote:Jimmy's Magic Patch was apparently enchanted by a gypsy's magic. Eating something to time travel is rather more off the wall than that, I reckon.
How so? Since time travel is currently impossible, any hook a writer comes up with on which to hang his or her version of the concept must inevitably be an invention, a fictional device. I would then argue that all methods are equally valid, no one approach could possibly be more, or less, off the wall than any other. Far more interesting developments of the theme can be found in Robert Heinlein's novel The Door Into Summer, for example, and I can particularly recommend the three made-for-TV series Primeval, in which the time travelling goes into the future as well as into the past, with the resulting timelines causing all sorts of anomalies. The latest rerun of series two finished tonight on the Watch channel but episode one (of ten) of series three starts tomorrow evening at 8 o'clock on the same channel. Unfortunately you do need Sky or Virgin to access it.
Already seen Primeval when it first aired anyway. Annoying that by the time the new series is on in January, we'll have been waiting nearly two years for it!

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Digifiend wrote:Annoying that by the time the new series is on in January, we'll have been waiting nearly two years for it!
Yes, but to offset that you will be getting series 4 and series 5 in 2011. Series 4 will be on ITV but series 5 goes straight to Watch. Viewers without Sky or Virgin will have to wait until 2012 for that one.

Shaqui

Post by Shaqui »

philcom55 wrote:
Shaqui wrote:I would have thought the cheese was a very big giveaway that this was a dream, no matter how historically educational, if anyone has read 'Dreams of the Rarebit Fiend'...
...Ah! But Winsor McCay was clearly misled by the common superstitions of his day. Modern Science has since discovered that the fumes from any strong cheese have the very real ability to curdle the fabric of space and time. It is for this reason that the Time Lords made their home on Galifrey, which is a planet made entirely of cheese; what's more the heart of Doctor Who's TARDIS is a piece of Gorgonzola so offensively pungent that it is capable of driving lesser beings completely insane. (...I recently submitted a long article on this exciting new branch of physics to The New Scientist - though for some inexplicable reason they have yet to actually print it! :roll: )

- Phil Rushton
:headbash:

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

My main problem with Jimmy is that his gimmick was reliant on his always wearing the same trousers. Didn't he ever wash them?

RuthB

Post by RuthB »

Same with Heidi: a few years up in the mountains with granpa, Peter and the sheeps and all the time wearing the same clothes, in the Alps and short-sleeved!! Sumer or winter...