Help with strip from Andrew Wilson

Discuss all the girls comics that have appeared over the years. Excellent titles like Bunty, Misty, Spellbound, Tammy and June, amongst many others, can all be remembered here.

Moderator: AndyB

RuthB

Help with strip from Andrew Wilson

Post by RuthB »

Anyone could give me some information about this strip? I think it is from Mandy. Was it weekly? Was it a one-off? I do not have any more info than this page alone.

Is it call as the title says? Or is it The Wilsons?

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Re: Help with strip from Andrew Wilson

Post by colcool007 »

I would say that it is out of an annual as you do not have the usual date and comic serial code that you find on most D C Thomson pages. The code is usually on the bottom of the last frames on the page.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

RuthB

Post by RuthB »

Yes, I found out through a friend it was from a Mandy Annual from 1988. Do you know if this is a one-off for the annual or if it was a series from weekly Mandy and then reprinted in the annual?

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

RuthB wrote:Do you know if this is a one-off for the annual or if it was a series from weekly Mandy and then reprinted in the annual?
The title suggests to me that it is a one-off. It just feels like a filler. I have checked my story listing for Mandy, which is incomplete anyway, but I can't see any title that could be a match. If I find one I'll get back to you. Helsbels might be better able to help, though.

RuthB

Post by RuthB »

Cheers! Excellent

matrix

Post by matrix »

Can anyone else see a resemblance between the two mothers , in this strip from the early 70s , and the one posted by Ruth B?

It would have to be one of the longest running hairstyles , as they look nearly identical to me?

Anyone?
Attachments
Sue Day 1..jpg

RuthB

Post by RuthB »

I think it is even more similar (identical, actually) in later drawings of the family:

http://candela123.blogspot.com/2009/08/ ... feliz.html

matrix

Post by matrix »

RuthB wrote:I think it is even more similar (identical, actually) in later drawings of the family:

http://candela123.blogspot.com/2009/08/ ... feliz.html
Thanks for the link , not sure how i can convert that to English as i would like to read it.

So do you think the Days evolved into the Wilsons , later in Mandy? When did the Days strip finish?

As we are on the subject ,i thought you might like to see this scan ,i wonder who the artist was?
Attachments
Sue.Day.colour.jpg

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

I must admit if you look at the title characters (Tina Wilson and Sue Day) from the picture uploaded by Ruth and the link to the Spanish blog, the resemblance is striking.

But here is the show-stopper, Princess and Sue Day were both published by IPC/Fleetway and Mandy is a DCT publication, so it is not some form of cross-over. However, if the artist for both is Andrew Wilson, then the resemblance is not that surprising after all.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

According to Ruth's article, the artist was Andrew Wilson, the subject of this thread, and the strip ran for 600 episodes between 1960 and 1973, appearing in a widish range of girls' comics during this time, largely due to the strip proving more popular than the comics, which were constantly getting amalgamated.

RuthB

Post by RuthB »

Thanks Guru. Just up now, feeling really lazy...

That spanish blog is mine, I think you can translate it straight away if you open it with Google Chrome, though I wouldn't think the translation would be 100% accurate. I have no problem translating it, though.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

RuthB wrote:I have no problem translating it, though.
Nor have I. In fact, I often read articles in the Foro Esther magazine, which I bookmarked as one of my favourite sites several months ago. Indeed I constantly wonder how it is financially viable to produce it monthly in full-colour when 72 pages is roughly the norm, and occasionally it has 96.

RuthB

Post by RuthB »

Financially? It doesn't cost a dime, issuu is free to use to a limit (I suppose once I pass that giga limit it will cease to work but then I only have to open a different account. So the only thing that cost is time, which thankfully at the moment I have and friends to write on it (you're very wellcome if you wish to do so) and thankfully sometone that reads it!

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

RuthB wrote:It doesn't cost a dime, issuu is free to use to a limit (I suppose once I pass that giga limit it will cease to work but then I only have to open a different account.
So does this mean that it only ever appears on line? Is there no physical magazine that you can buy from shops or kioskos?

RuthB

Post by RuthB »

It is only an online magazine, yes. I do it from home. Sorry to dissapoint you!