The Girls From Noodle

Discuss all the girls comics that have appeared over the years. Excellent titles like Bunty, Misty, Spellbound, Tammy and June, amongst many others, can all be remembered here.

Moderator: AndyB

DavidKW

The Girls From Noodle

Post by DavidKW »

Does anyone remeber this 60s strip? I've tried to find further information, but without success.

All I remember reading about it was when flicking through an A-Z of British comic strips a few years ago. I can't remember which comic it was in, but there were 2 girls called Nicola & Gail who got given missions & had lots of action.

The accompaning picture had them diving and avaoiding a shark.

A right pair of action girls - what comics & TV needs today!

philcom55

Re: The Girls From Noodle

Post by philcom55 »

The strip you're thinking of ran in DC Thomson's Diana during the mid 1960s.

- Phil R.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Incidentally I've just looked at an episode from 1966 which reveals that the girls in question were agents of a secret organization called the National Organization for Order, Discipline and Law Enforcement in Schools. Presumably this junior version of U.N.C.L.E. was introduced to make up for the loss of Diana's excellent but short-lived 'Avengers' strip.

- Phil Rushton

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

I may have to look into Diana! It sounded interesting during my research for when I was writing my big article on the history of British adventure comics.
If you want more action girls, look for the "Miss Adventure Series" of Schoolgirl's Picture Library (one is called "Jacey's Date with Danger!"). She's seen jumping ot of crashing cars, clambering aboard speeding powerboats and all sorts.

DavidKW

Post by DavidKW »

Thanks for that, I'll have to try & seek out those Miss Adventures & look into some Dianas.

I think I recently flicked through a 60s Diana annual, but didn't find this strip in it - it's one I'd like to look into & research more.

I did recently read a "Jane Bond" strip in a Princess Tina annual - lots of action from a cool-headed female (annual also had the great Chairman Cherry plus Patti's World & The Happy Days/Sue Day - quite a line-up).

Action women - they're great.

Shaqui

Post by Shaqui »

I have a load of 1960s Diana comics somewhere... bought a job lot to get 'The Avengers' and am still sorting through them but they start from 1963, as early as issue 5 IIRC, and go up to about 1969.

There's some intriguing SF and fantasy stuff, as well as spy-orientated material when such things were highly vogue. One character in a 1967 strip (might be the one that replaced 'The Avengers') is clear based on David McCallum!

standby4action

Post by standby4action »

I only have one example. I didn't scan these but here's an example for your pleasure from Diana #213, 18 March 1967 pages 22-23

Diana213-22 by standby4action, on Flickr

Diana213-23 by standby4action, on Flickr

Shaqui

Post by Shaqui »

Anyone know who the artist is on that example?

DavidKW

Post by DavidKW »

Thanks standby4action for that scan.

Looks a fantastic strip, with both artwork & storytelling at the top level. Just awesome!

Should be a petition to whoever owns the rights to these at DC Thompson to get these strips reprinted.

DavidKW

Post by DavidKW »

Forgot to say I recently bought a 1968 Diana annual - got a Noodles strip inside.

Also got two actual Diana comcis from 66 - got a complete adventure from those. Good reads all & fantastic artwork.

Were some more Dianas, but they were £6 each and I have budgets!