Tammy's last issue

Discuss all the girls comics that have appeared over the years. Excellent titles like Bunty, Misty, Spellbound, Tammy and June, amongst many others, can all be remembered here.

Moderator: AndyB

Tammyfan

Re: Tammy's last issue

Post by Tammyfan »

Marionette wrote:I've been in communication with someone who owns the relevant issues of Girl. He informs me that the only comics running in Girl while it had Tammy's masthead are Tracy's Magic Birthday and Patty's World as well as a couple of photostrips. He's now checking the issues between the last issue of Tammy in June and the appearance of the Tammy masthead in August.

It does occur to me that with the rise of photostrips in that period, at least the cancellation saved us from that horror.
Yes, I think Girl and Tammy would have been arguably the worst merger in girls comics because one was picture story and the other photostory. Incompatible! Girl would have to sacrifice some of her photo stories to
make way for Tammy stories, but I think it more likely Tammy would have been rapidly reduced in Girl. Girl is for mergers with other photostory comics like Dreamer.

Anyway, I thank your friend for checking the Girls. I wonder if Girl readers were puzzled as to why the Tammy logo was there or if they understood it was a merger but not going the way mergers usually do?

Marionette

Post by Marionette »

Ok, I now have confirmation from someone who has looked through the actual comics that no Tammy strips appeared in any issue of Girl between June and September 1984, and in fact there was no mention of Tammy at all. I think that puts that one to bed.
The Tammy Project: Documenting the classic British girls' comic, one serial at a time.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

Marionette wrote:Ok, I now have confirmation from someone who has looked through the actual comics that no Tammy strips appeared in any issue of Girl between June and September 1984, and in fact there was no mention of Tammy at all. I think that puts that one to bed.
So our only chance is to track down Juliana Buch and see if she can remember.

Hmm, if nothing from Tammy except the logo came to Girl, then Girl readers must have been puzzled as to what the Tammy logo was doing on the cover.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

...Especially as it wasn't added until a full month after Tammy was discontinued! :?

- Phil Rushton

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Maybe standing orders at newsagents were transferred over when a merger like this happened? So Tammy readers would've had Girl reserved instead (though I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of readers quickly dropped it in favour of something like Bunty).

Nowadays, that's what would probably happen with subscriptions, they move you over to another title (for example, after the demise of the Dandy was announced, they still offered subscriptions, the adverts specifically saying that it would switch to Beano after the Dandy closed).

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

Digifiend wrote:Maybe standing orders at newsagents were transferred over when a merger like this happened? So Tammy readers would've had Girl reserved instead (though I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of readers quickly dropped it in favour of something like Bunty).

Nowadays, that's what would probably happen with subscriptions, they move you over to another title (for example, after the demise of the Dandy was announced, they still offered subscriptions, the adverts specifically saying that it would switch to Beano after the Dandy closed).
I myself just dropped it.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

stephenjarcher73 wrote:I bought the final Tammy Annual last year in the hope they might’ve published unseen material from the post-cancellation days. It’s not so farfetched. The 1986 Scream Holiday Special printed the cover of the unpublished issue 18, along with revealing the face of Ghastly McNasty which readers had been previously encouraged to draw. (The prize was eventually won in Eagle).
Alas it was chock-a-block with reprints, most or all from 1981. Looking at that year in the now sadly now closed Colindale Newspaper Library I spotted: The Black and White World of Shirley Grey (7th Feb – 30th May), Molly Mills and the Sporting Life (8th – 29th Aug) and three Wee Sue stories (10th and 31st Jan, 7th Mar), and no doubt there were others that I missed. What a wasted opportunity.
I wonder if Tammy holiday specials of the time might have some of the unpublished material from the cancellation? Ok, it may just be more reprint material, but we don't know until we check or check with someone who does have them. If nothing else, they might have the unpublished tennis story they had promised for the next issue. Personally, I would rather see the Cora story in its entirety.

topeka

Post by topeka »

Hi, I joined this forum a few months ago in the hope of tracking down a Tammy serial I vaguely remembered, and since then have bought it (and a lot more Tammys :lol: ), so many thanks.

I don't know if its relevant to this discussion but I have a Tammy Holiday Special c)IPC Magazines 1985, and there doesn't seem to be any continuation from the last Tammy comic whatsoever. It's just an awful comic for the animal obsessed.

It comprises Mowser The Priceless Puss (?), The White Zebra (about a game warden's daughter in Africa), Gigi of the Circus and her horse GoGo x 2 (I wish they would gogo), No Tears for Molly, Two in the Wilds (dogs in Australia), A Surprise for Susie (she wins a donkey), Freda's Fortune (she wins a pony), Pam of Pond Hill (hurrah! - on holiday - everyone meets at Shoddytat Holiday Centre), Milly the Merry Mermaid (Twinklesque, 'funny'), The Crayzees on the back page.

A text story called Pet's Day.

Also some party food and crafts to make, joke cartoons, Tammy's Treasure Game and other puzzles, and features on pocket money and pet care.

Alas no Bella. Hope to goodness she never hooked up with ghastly Benjie...

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

topeka wrote:Hi, I joined this forum a few months ago in the hope of tracking down a Tammy serial I vaguely remembered, and since then have bought it (and a lot more Tammys :lol: ), so many thanks.

I don't know if its relevant to this discussion but I have a Tammy Holiday Special c)IPC Magazines 1985, and there doesn't seem to be any continuation from the last Tammy comic whatsoever. It's just an awful comic for the animal obsessed.

It comprises Mowser The Priceless Puss (?), The White Zebra (about a game warden's daughter in Africa), Gigi of the Circus and her horse GoGo x 2 (I wish they would gogo), No Tears for Molly, Two in the Wilds (dogs in Australia), A Surprise for Susie (she wins a donkey), Freda's Fortune (she wins a pony), Pam of Pond Hill (hurrah! - on holiday - everyone meets at Shoddytat Holiday Centre), Milly the Merry Mermaid (Twinklesque, 'funny'), The Crayzees on the back page.

A text story called Pet's Day.

Also some party food and crafts to make, joke cartoons, Tammy's Treasure Game and other puzzles, and features on pocket money and pet care.

Alas no Bella. Hope to goodness she never hooked up with ghastly Benjie...

Thank you. Freda's Fortune first ran in Jinty and was one of her last stories. Glad to help you with tracking down the Tammy story. I wondered how you got on with finding it, and thanks for telling me!

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

I have a Girl issue that has the Tammy logo on it. The issue is dated 25 August 1984. We know Tammy was originally set to be cancelled in late August. Now, as Tammy came out on Monday and Girl Thursday, I wonder if Tammy was set to be cancelled on 22 August and her readers instructed to pick up Girl on Thursday 25 August. A bit like how the Judy and Tracy merger went - the cancellation of Tracy and the merge with Judy in the same week.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

There is now a discussion of "Cora Can't Lose" at https://jintycomic.wordpress.com/2017/0 ... lose-1984/