Tammy's last issue

Discuss all the girls comics that have appeared over the years. Excellent titles like Bunty, Misty, Spellbound, Tammy and June, amongst many others, can all be remembered here.

Moderator: AndyB

Tammyfan

Re: Tammy's last issue

Post by Tammyfan »

Does anyone know how to contact Juliana Buch? She may be the only hope of finding out about the Cora ending as she was the artist.

RuthB

Post by RuthB »

She's completely retired from the comic world, but I will try

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

RuthB wrote:She's completely retired from the comic world, but I will try
Thanks!

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

stephenjarcher73 wrote:I bought the final Tammy Annual last year in the hope they might’ve published unseen material from the post-cancellation days. It’s not so farfetched. The 1986 Scream Holiday Special printed the cover of the unpublished issue 18, along with revealing the face of Ghastly McNasty which readers had been previously encouraged to draw. (The prize was eventually won in Eagle).
Alas it was chock-a-block with reprints, most or all from 1981. Looking at that year in the now sadly now closed Colindale Newspaper Library I spotted: The Black and White World of Shirley Grey (7th Feb – 30th May), Molly Mills and the Sporting Life (8th – 29th Aug) and three Wee Sue stories (10th and 31st Jan, 7th Mar), and no doubt there were others that I missed. What a wasted opportunity.
I'm glad to hear the prize was won after all and the tickets to Madam Tussauds were not wasted.

Maybe the Tammy holiday specials are worth trying? Mind you, I'm not optimistic. The print of Ghastly's face in the special may have been a one-off. Holiday specials are more likely to have reprint material.

Muffy

Post by Muffy »

I remember those last Tammy story's from 1984!
Thanks Phil, Tammyfan and everyone for posting pages from 'Cora Can't Lose' and more – it's bought many old memories back. I stopped getting Tammy in 1983, though my younger sister carried on getting it until the end. I would read her issues instead.

As I recall Cora does win the race and a big trophy and her father is very happy, though he say's he would love her win-or-lose. I'm pretty sure Cora and Sheila become best friends and Cora is less competitive afterwards and Sheila has a chance to win some races.

My sister was disappointed that Tammy ended and instead got Whizzer and Chips (we were big into the IPC titles, our family) for another year. As a teenager though she stopped and one day I cam home from school to find she had put the whole lot into the council recycling [giant bins in the '80s]!! I would have had those I thought (I'd given her all mine in 1983) :cry:
I salvaged a few of my issues from 1982 and 1983 which I have still.

RuthB

Post by RuthB »

I am still trying to get in touch with J. Buch but she seems to have dissappeared!! So far I know she had two daughters and at least one of them did illustration too, painting, I believe, nothing to do with comic.
I'll keep asking people!!

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

Muffy wrote:I remember those last Tammy story's from 1984!
Thanks Phil, Tammyfan and everyone for posting pages from 'Cora Can't Lose' and more – it's bought many old memories back. I stopped getting Tammy in 1983, though my younger sister carried on getting it until the end. I would read her issues instead.

As I recall Cora does win the race and a big trophy and her father is very happy, though he say's he would love her win-or-lose. I'm pretty sure Cora and Sheila become best friends and Cora is less competitive afterwards and Sheila has a chance to win some races.

My sister was disappointed that Tammy ended and instead got Whizzer and Chips (we were big into the IPC titles, our family) for another year. As a teenager though she stopped and one day I cam home from school to find she had put the whole lot into the council recycling [giant bins in the '80s]!! I would have had those I thought (I'd given her all mine in 1983) :cry:
I salvaged a few of my issues from 1982 and 1983 which I have still.
I guessed some things that had to happen in the final episode were the parents learning their lessons, and Cora getting treatment, reconcile with Sheila and be less win-driven.
So you did see the last episode of Cora? How did you come across it when the last issue stopped at the penultimate episode? And do you remember how Cora gets treatment? Anyway, thanks for the info. If the last episode was published, I sure would like to see it.
Last edited by Tammyfan on 06 Jul 2014, 09:20, edited 1 time in total.

Muffy

Post by Muffy »

Thanks Tammyfan.
I think the last 3 or 4 pages were printed soon after it merged with Girl comic in 1984 - though after 30-years, I cannot remember if it was the first merged issue or another later one with a by-the-way this is the final part. Sadly my sister recycled these as well, along with 'Princess', 'Mickey Mouse Weekly' and lots of early 1980's Beano's.

The only other continued storyline ending I remember reading (and this may have been in Tammy itself in 1984 or 1983, rather than 'Girl') was Pam of Pond Hill. As I recall her friend 'Goof' a boy had been left a doll's house by his Gran. He hated the present and was teased by everyone at Pond Hill. There was another pupil there who was desperate to get their hands on the Doll's house for their Dad, who was a crook. What happened was Pam and Goof discovered that the wallpaper in the doll's house was actually share certificates/ or bond's, something like that and the other pupil was shamed. Goof was very happy after this as it turned out they were worth a lot of money. Apologies if this issue was in a Tammy comic rather than a Girl issue.

I also vaguely recall that poor Bella was left unfinished and did NOT continue, she was working as a window cleaner I think and the younger ballerina's teased her for being so old and past-it (at 16!)

http://marabese.com/girl.jpg

1984 was a bad year for closures, as in IPC's humour comic range Wow merged with Whoopee, Scream merged with Eagle, School Fun merged with Buster and in 1985 Whoopee merged with Whizzer and Chips.
Also there is a Girl Annual 1985 on ebay for £5+post on ebay, printed in 1984 and another for £2 (with 2 other annuals).

Final edit: According to 'Wikipedia' Girl was published by IPC/Fleetway from 1981 until 1990. (Though have no second source to verify).

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

Muffy wrote:Thanks Tammyfan.
I think the last 3 or 4 pages were printed soon after it merged with Girl comic in 1984 - though after 30-years, I cannot remember if it was the first merged issue or another later one with a by-the-way this is the final part. Sadly my sister recycled these as well, along with 'Princess', 'Mickey Mouse Weekly' and lots of early 1980's Beano's.

The only other continued storyline ending I remember reading (and this may have been in Tammy itself in 1984 or 1983, rather than 'Girl') was Pam of Pond Hill. As I recall her friend 'Goof' a boy had been left a doll's house by his Gran. He hated the present and was teased by everyone at Pond Hill. There was another pupil there who was desperate to get their hands on the Doll's house for their Dad, who was a crook. What happened was Pam and Goof discovered that the wallpaper in the doll's house was actually share certificates/ or bond's, something like that and the other pupil was shamed. Goof was very happy after this as it turned out they were worth a lot of money. Apologies if this issue was in a Tammy comic rather than a Girl issue.

I also vaguely recall that poor Bella was left unfinished and did NOT continue, she was working as a window cleaner I think and the younger ballerina's teased her for being so old and past-it (at 16!)

http://marabese.com/girl.jpg

1984 was a bad year for closures, as in IPC's humour comic range Wow merged with Whoopee, Scream merged with Eagle, School Fun merged with Buster and in 1985 Whoopee merged with Whizzer and Chips.
Also there is a Girl Annual 1985 on ebay for £5+post on ebay, printed in 1984 and another for £2 (with 2 other annuals).

Final edit: According to 'Wikipedia' Girl was published by IPC/Fleetway from 1981 until 1990. (Though have no second source to verify).
The doll house Pond Hill story was in Tammy. The Pam of Pond Hill story that was left unfinished was Pam's computer story. Dad has been left a legacy. He uses it to buy Pam a computer and holidays for himself and his wife, forgetting Gran will not be around as she also has a holiday booking, so who will look after Pam? Pam finds her friends eager for her to stay with them and at her gran's advice stays with each of them in turn. Pam soon realises the reason they want her so badly as a guest is because they all want to have a go on her computer. The last published episode had Pam heading off to her third host, Tess Bradshaw - but for some reason Tess says she cannot have Pam - despite the computer - and even slams the door in her face. The blurb promises we will hear about Tess's sad story next time, but of course we never did. :(

Muffy

Post by Muffy »

Thanks for the Pam of Pond Hill details. Maybe the end of this story arc is in one of the Girl issues too Tammyfan - we can but hope.

Or perhaps the Tammy Annual 1985 (printed late summer 1984??)
Sometimes with IPC, you find a few story's that didn't make the merger(s) are in Annuals or Summer Specials [Did you know the last Richie Wragg's Jackpot story's appeared in the Jackpot Summer Special 1982, rather than the final Issue 141!]

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

Muffy wrote:Thanks for the Pam of Pond Hill details. Maybe the end of this story arc is in one of the Girl issues too Tammyfan - we can but hope.

Sometimes with IPC, you find a few story's that didn't make the merger(s) are in Annuals or Summer Specials [Did you know the last Richie Wragg's Jackpot story's appeared in the Jackpot Summer Special 1982, rather than the final Issue 141!]
Nope, the 1985 annual can be excluded. Ditto the 1986 annual. Holiday specials I do not know.

Wow, it would be great to see scans of the final episode of Cora Can't Lose if it is available. :D

By the way, does anyone realise that this year marks the 30th anniversary of all those 1984 IPC cancellations?
Last edited by Tammyfan on 07 Jul 2014, 02:48, edited 1 time in total.

Marionette

Post by Marionette »

Tammyfan wrote: Nope, the 1985 annual can be excluded. Ditto the 1986 annual. Holiday specials I do not know.

Wow, it would be great to see scans of the final episode of Cora Can't Lose if they are available. :D

By the way, does anyone realise that this year marks the 30th anniversary of all those 1984 IPC cancellations?
We should hold a candlelight vigil or something. :?

I never bothered looking up those Girl issues, since every source I've found has agreed that nothing from Tammy was carried over to Girl, with only the title appearing very small, for a handful of issues. Now I may have to try to track them down.
The Tammy Project: Documenting the classic British girls' comic, one serial at a time.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

Marionette wrote:
Tammyfan wrote: Nope, the 1985 annual can be excluded. Ditto the 1986 annual. Holiday specials I do not know.

Wow, it would be great to see scans of the final episode of Cora Can't Lose if they are available. :D

We should hold a candlelight vigil or something. :?

I never bothered looking up those Girl issues, since every source I've found has agreed that nothing from Tammy was carried over to Girl, with only the title appearing very small, for a handful of issues. Now I may have to try to track them down.
I do have one. Nothing Tammy in it, but I can put up the cover later.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

Muffy wrote:Thanks for the Pam of Pond Hill details. Maybe the end of this story arc is in one of the Girl issues too Tammyfan - we can but hope.

One story had only just started, "Secret Sisters". The protagonist was adopted as a baby and would love to have siblings. Then she overhears a conversation and learns she was one of a set of four babies who could not be adopted together. She realises she has three sisters and sets out to find them. But her search never got beyond the first episode, unless it carried over into Girl as well. And there was "No Use to Anyone!" where Kirsty is not fitting in at her relatives' farm. Everything and everyone must be useful on that farm and she is not finding herself much use. Then she finds a puppy which she names Clumsy. But Clumsy is blind, so how can he fit on the farm if he is not much use either? The latest Bella story stopped where Bella had to make a difficult decision, but we never found out what it was. Tammy was also running a repeat of "The Forbidden Garden" from Jinty.

Marionette

Post by Marionette »

I've been in communication with someone who owns the relevant issues of Girl. He informs me that the only comics running in Girl while it had Tammy's masthead are Tracy's Magic Birthday and Patty's World as well as a couple of photostrips. He's now checking the issues between the last issue of Tammy in June and the appearance of the Tammy masthead in August.

It does occur to me that with the rise of photostrips in that period, at least the cancellation saved us from that horror.
The Tammy Project: Documenting the classic British girls' comic, one serial at a time.