Where was this printed?

Discuss all the girls comics that have appeared over the years. Excellent titles like Bunty, Misty, Spellbound, Tammy and June, amongst many others, can all be remembered here.

Moderator: AndyB

RuthB

Where was this printed?

Post by RuthB »

This was printed in Spain under the name "Dorita". It is from IPC but I can;t find it in any of the british comics I have. Anybody knows where it was originaly printed and what was the original name? I don;t know the author either but I don't think that will be easy to find.

davidandrewsimpson

Re: Where was this printed?

Post by davidandrewsimpson »

The style reminds me of Franquin, who drew the belgian strip Spirou. He also drew Modeste Et Pompom, which seems to have been pubnlished in Spain as Teo Y Dorita.

If you Google the words Spirou Dorita then you'll get a bunch of links to Spanish websites, which might help you.

I'm not saying I'm right, but at least it's a start, and you'll get to see some great comics.

RuthB

Post by RuthB »

I know that author (actually, there was an excellent exhibition in Mardrid last year about Spirou (the character, not the magazine of smae name), but they would not have licensed under IPC.
Spanish comics for girls included in later years French and Belgian comics (Lombard and Dupuis, Hachette) and many from Holand (Oberon) and so it was always indicated under the heading.
So this must be British.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

I did wonder whether Dorita could be a British character called 'Minx' who appeared in Princess for several years during the 1960s, but while there are some similarities I'm inclined to think that the differences are too great for her to be a suitable candidate. Here's an example from 1964:

While Minx might not be Dorita, however, I'd be surprised if her strip wasn't translated for the Spanish market under some name or other.

- Phil Rushton

RuthB

Post by RuthB »

I cna;t see the strip right now (capped at work) but I will look at it later at home. Yes, i guess the name was translated to Spanish, I guess in here it might have a different name.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Oddly enough there was another character in Princess who was called Dorita.

Viewing the two examples side by side I must confess that Dorita and Minx seem very different. Having said that it's noticeable that Minx herself changed quite a lot over time, appearing considerably younger and squatter when the following strip ran in 1966:

- Phil Rushton
Last edited by philcom55 on 25 Sep 2012, 10:48, edited 2 times in total.

RuthB

Post by RuthB »

All this you are telling me is so interesting I now can't wait to go home and have a look at the images!!

RuthB

Post by RuthB »

Now i'm home!!

It looks certainly very much like the last one, but I think they are drawn by different artists. Mmmm...