Misty - The Female 2000AD

Discuss all the girls comics that have appeared over the years. Excellent titles like Bunty, Misty, Spellbound, Tammy and June, amongst many others, can all be remembered here.

Moderator: AndyB

helsbels

Misty - The Female 2000AD

Post by helsbels »

No doubt some of you have seen this, but I thought I'd share this link by Pat Mills: https://patmills.wordpress.com/2012/10/ ... le-2000ad/
Last edited by helsbels on 19 Oct 2012, 21:37, edited 1 time in total.

philcom55

Re: Misty - The Female 200AD

Post by philcom55 »

Thanks so much for flagging up that fascinating link Helen - I'd no idea that Pat had started his own blog. Somebody ought to let him know that - thanks to Ruth - we can now identify the 'beautifully drawn' art for 'Roots' as the work of Maria Barrera (I'd post a comment to that effect myself but I don't think my computer is up to it).

On the subject of reprinting the best of Misty to tie in with the current popularity of Twilight, etc. I'd personally like to see it produced in a hefty digest format so that it could be marketed as a kind of home-grown manga. If that proved to be a success the sky would be the limit when it came to presenting material from other girls' comics like Tammy, June and Jinty. In fact if I were in charge of Egmont I'd immediately appoint Mr Mills as the group editor for such a venture - maybe with a view to commissioning some new material if the first titles proved to be successful!

- Phil Rushton

RuthB

Post by RuthB »

Philcom, I just posted the info in Pat's blog. It is a very beautiful and informative post. I hope he does more articles about girls comics!!

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I think you should correct the title as 200AD made me think it was set in Roman times (or whoever was knocking about back then).

helsbels

Post by helsbels »

Blast! Damn that sticky 0 key! Changed it now! :oops: :roll:

RuthB

Re: Misty - The Female 2000AD

Post by RuthB »

I was thinking somthing around the 300... I mean, scantly clothed athletic-six-pack-chested men!!!

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

My work keyboard is the same, when I press the same character twice, quickly, it misses one. Mind you the future is now the past. 2000AD was eleven years ago but in the comic it is the future. The Gerry Anderson show UFO made in 1969/70 flashed up "1980" during the credits as if it was a long way off. But its now 2012 and we're still not walking around in cat suits and foil mini dresses - (but only because my girth burst the seams) :) At least Thunderbirds etc. were set in the 2060s by which time TV21 will be contemporary - I'll be 110 then so even if cat suits are all the rage I'll stick to my black jeans and dark shirts - spaghetti western style - my favourite look. (I stopped wearing the poncho after it got stuck in the tube train doors and I broke the four minute mile running along the platform).

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

I'd personally like to see it produced in a hefty digest format so that it could be marketed as a kind of home-grown manga.
If most British manga fans saw that in a book labelled "manga" they'd pass it by without a second thought. If they even picked it up anyway, once they saw the credits were not Japanese-sounding names. You ought to hear some of the bigoted muck they spout!

A format more like the Judge Dredd Case Files, sold as a nostalgia collection, would probably have better luck.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Of course, about ten years ago the Irish Publisher Imagineire did produce a series of digest-size 'graphic novels', using almost the same name as Misty itself. While these 'Euro-manga' books also employed fantasy elements the art and storylines were, in my opinion, much too anaemic compared to the earlier title.

Sadly I only ever saw a handful of issues so Mysti can't have been all that successful (though it may well have been popular in other countries).

- Phil Rushton

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

I thought you'd like to see my remake of Misty and Moonchild.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Very nice Tammyfan!

Why not show it to Pat Mills via his blog address?

- Phil R.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

philcom55 wrote:Very nice Tammyfan!

Why not show it to Pat Mills via his blog address?

- Phil R.
I sent it to Pat by email a while back. But thanks for the compliment!

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

I remember seeing those Mysti books! But I just thought it was a girl's fashion / gossip magazine. I wish I'd got some more now.

Even further back, A&C Black produced a series of books that were advertised as "part book, part comic", though this actually meant they had big captions like Commando. This stuff needs to be promoted more! I wonder if there's anything like them on sale now that we don't know about? XD

Buut that's for another topic

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

felneymike wrote:I remember seeing those Mysti books! But I just thought it was a girl's fashion / gossip magazine. I wish I'd got some more now.

Even further back, A&C Black produced a series of books that were advertised as "part book, part comic", though this actually meant they had big captions like Commando. This stuff needs to be promoted more! I wonder if there's anything like them on sale now that we don't know about? XD

Buut that's for another topic
Well, the cover does look more like a fashion/gossip magazine than a spooky magazine.