Sci-Fi strips in girls comics

Discuss all the girls comics that have appeared over the years. Excellent titles like Bunty, Misty, Spellbound, Tammy and June, amongst many others, can all be remembered here.

Moderator: AndyB

Tammyfan

Re: Sci-Fi strips in girls comics

Post by Tammyfan »

philcom55 wrote:...It's the strip 'Lost on the Planet of Fear' that was mentioned by Peace 355 near the beginning of this thread. I could be wrong but the art looks like the work of Eduardo Feito.

- Phil R.
Yes, it is Eduardo Feito. Thank you for the other information.

Actually, it was pretty unusual to have Feito draw SF stories because his style is not an SF style. You see Feito's art more in horse stories, sports stories and school stories. But here is another SF story from Feito. It appeared in Tammy in 1977 and was reprinted (with some cuts) in Girl 1983 annual. This story deals with another common SF theme: alien possession.

And here is the final episode of that story (the title is missing because this is from the reprint). I have put it up to see what you think of the issues that come up here and the origin of Stonehenge. Incidentally, the atmospheric change that Srewana refers probably has something to do with fluorocarbons as she reacts badly to air fresheners.

Last edited by Tammyfan on 01 Dec 2012, 09:43, edited 2 times in total.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

Here is an environmental SF from Jinty 1979. Humanity has poisoned the earth to the point that no plants can grow. People have survived (somehow) but live in a dystopian world where water and food are strictly rationed. Art is by Jim Baikie.

Anyone want to see the final episode of this story?

Shaqui

Post by Shaqui »

philcom55 wrote:...whereas in 'Diana and the Dawn People' benevolent space-travellers land on Salisbury Plain where they help the locals to construct a giant astro-computer: the great stone circle we now call Stonehenge!

- Phil Rushton
Love the cribbing of the Therons from Dan Dare! :lol:

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Shaqui wrote:...Love the cribbing of the Therons from Dan Dare! :lol:
Heh! I wondered if anyone would notice that! :)

Tammyfan wrote:Anyone want to see the final episode of this story?
...Well I would! :)

On the subject of Stonehenge, here's the full 'Serena from Space' episode from the issue of June & Schoolfriend I recently posted on the 'Artists & Writers' thread:

...So the 'Lord of Darkness' was an alien too - Whoever would have guessed! I wonder if anyone has thought about making a Twilight-type story about vampires from Mars? :?

- Phil R.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

Thought somebody would want to see the end of "The Forbidden Garden". Here it is:

matrix

Post by matrix »

I have already posted an example of 'The day of the Triffids on the 'Girl' comic thread, but thought I would mention it again on here. It was drawn by Leo Davy and ran in 'Girl' comic in 1964.

After the triffids had finished it was followed by another sci-fi strip called 'The Pendragon stranger' this story was about two girls who brought a strange plant back from a hiking trip, they put it in the Pendragon tin mine where it started looking for electricity which helped it grow etc etc! Great stuff! It was written by Peter Hamilton and again drawn by Leo Davy.

I'm sure I have seen a movie like this, or was it Dr Who?
Attachments
Triffids.2.jpg
pendragon.1.jpg
pendragon.2.jpg

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

matrix wrote:I have already posted an example of 'The day of the Triffids on the 'Girl' comic thread, but thought I would mention it again on here. It was drawn by Leo Davy and ran in 'Girl' comic in 1964.

After the triffids had finished it was followed by another sci-fi strip called 'The Pendragon stranger' this story was about two girls who brought a strange plant back from a hiking trip, they put it in the Pendragon tin mine where it started looking for electricity which helped it grow etc etc! Great stuff! It was written by Peter Hamilton and again drawn by Leo Davy.

I'm sure I have seen a movie like this, or was it Dr Who?
There has been a movie and a TV series, and plenty of radio adaptations of Day of the Triffids.

matrix

Post by matrix »

Thanks Tammyfan, I have seen a few of those, it was the Pendragon strip I was referring to I'm sure i've seen a movie or tv where an alien uses electricity to become stronger can't for the life of me remember it!

NP

Post by NP »

Forbidden Planet?

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Of course there was also 'The Steel Claw', where Louis Crandall had to stick his finger in a power socket whenever he began to run low on juice. I can't help feeling that this set a rather dangerous example for impressionable young children! :shock:

Those later strips by Leo Davy show a real talent for Wyndhamesque Science Fiction - it's a real shame they weren't printed in full colour. A pity also that so many of Hulton's and Odhams' highly-paid artists (Davy, Pout, Bailey, Hampson, etc.) seemed to call it a day as IPC began to extend their influence over most of the old British publishing houses.

- Phil R.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

philcom55 wrote:Of course there was also 'The Steel Claw', where Louis Crandall had to stick his finger in a power socket whenever he began to run low on juice. I can't help feeling that this set a rather dangerous example for impressionable young children! :shock:

Those later strips by Leo Davy show a real talent for Wyndhamesque Science Fiction - it's a real shame they weren't printed in full colour. A pity also that so many of Hulton's and Odhams' highly-paid artists (Davy, Pout, Bailey, Hampson, etc.) seemed to call it a day as IPC began to extend their influence over most of the old British publishing houses.

- Phil R.
Pity they don't reprint these adaptations in a volume and give them colour.

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

philcom55 wrote:Of course, there were also The Supercats in Spellbound whose adventures were so popular that they had their own club and club-page in that comic. What's more, they also appeared in full colour in several Diana Annuals throughout the 1970s - albeit rather oddly renamed the 'Fabulous Four'. The artwork by Jorge B. Galvez (possibly helped, on occasion, by his better-known cousin Enrique Romero) was stylish and attractive - though, in my humble opinion, his frequent use of rather sexual poses could seem a little inappropriate in a comic aimed at a mainly female audience.

- Phil Rushton
There's no "possibly" about it-I have quite a few issues of Spellbound featuring this strip, and the artwork is unmistakeably Romero's. The character Hercula is basically Axa. She doesn't just look vaguely like Axa, she's a dead ringer for her!

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

As Ruth B. pointed out Jorge B. Galvez is the pseudonym of Jorge Badia Romero - the brother, not cousin, of Enrique B. Romero (aka Enrique Romero or Enric Badia Romero). As with a lot of brothers who drew comics (eg the Embletons, the Kuberts and the Blascos) it can sometimes be difficult to tell them apart, though Ruth suggests that "Jorge's women are thinner and their eyes kind of bigger".

Either way, it's clear that the Supercats were indeed drawn by 'Romero' after all (though I'm still not sure which one!).

- Phil R.

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

philcom55 wrote:As Ruth B. pointed out Jorge B. Galvez is the pseudonym of Jorge Badia Romero - the brother, not cousin, of Enrique B. Romero (aka Enrique Romero or Enric Badia Romero). As with a lot of brothers who drew comics (eg the Embletons, the Kuberts and the Blascos) it can sometimes be difficult to tell them apart, though Ruth suggests that "Jorge's women are thinner and their eyes kind of bigger".

Either way, it's clear that the Supercats were indeed drawn by 'Romero' after all (though I'm still not sure which one!).

- Phil R.
Having managed to collect (I believe) every English language title to feature Axa, I'm convinced it was Enrique who drew Supercats. It's not just that the physical appearance of the two characters is identical (even down to Hercula wearing bracelets identical to Axa's, though in her case with rather more clothing), even some of the poses they're put in are the same.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

I'm no expert on either Romero so I'm certainly not saying you're wrong. On the other hand they could have worked together like the three Blasco brothers. Wasn't Enrique supposed to be drawing Modesty Blaise round about the same time? That's an awful lot of work for one artist!

Can anyone point to a strip that was definitely drawn by Jorge on his own so we can compare their styles side by side?

- Phil R.