Another strike?

Discuss all the girls comics that have appeared over the years. Excellent titles like Bunty, Misty, Spellbound, Tammy and June, amongst many others, can all be remembered here.

Moderator: AndyB

Marionette

Another strike?

Post by Marionette »

I just received a bunch of Tammys and I noticed that one is dated 21st/28th June 1981, but there's nothing inside to indicate why it's suddenly bi-weekly. My first guess is that it was maybe another strike, since that seemed to be the primary cause of problems for Tammy.
The Tammy Project: Documenting the classic British girls' comic, one serial at a time.

Tammyfan

Re: Another strike?

Post by Tammyfan »

Marionette wrote:I just received a bunch of Tammys and I noticed that one is dated 21st/28th June 1981, but there's nothing inside to indicate why it's suddenly bi-weekly. My first guess is that it was maybe another strike, since that seemed to be the primary cause of problems for Tammy.
Not least of which was Tammy's downfall. I read about this on a Tammy blog. By 1984 Tammy was due for cancellation in August, but never got beyond 23 June 1984 because of yet another strike. By the time the strike was settled it would have taken them longer to finish the stories before the merge into Girl and left everything unfinished. So Tammy readers were left dangling with all the unfinished stories left in the 23rd June issue. Decades later I would still love to read the final episode of Cora Can't Lose.