Lucky's Living Doll

Discuss all the girls comics that have appeared over the years. Excellent titles like Bunty, Misty, Spellbound, Tammy and June, amongst many others, can all be remembered here.

Moderator: AndyB

marckie73

Re: Lucky's Living Doll

Post by marckie73 »

RE: Bessie Bunter:

In France Bessie was renamed Betsy Boule (Billy Bunter was renamed Billy Boule over there).

In the Netherlands Bessie was renamed Bessie Turf. A first series of six anthologies was published between 1966 and 1972. A second series of 11 was published between 1982 and 1986. And then there were a few more in de mid 90's.

I would have to check the exact dates, but I think it was in 1973, 74 and 75 that Bessie appeared in the Dutch edition of Tina. In the beginning almost weekly, later only when they had a spot left in the comic.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

Bessie Turf? :lol:

marckie73

Post by marckie73 »

Yeah. :) Turf is a nickname for a fat person. Not a name that could be used nowadays in the political correct world we live in.

DavidKW

Post by DavidKW »

Back on the subject track of LLD:

I recently bought a late 1978 edition of Debbie and Spellbound. In it was a strip drawn by Robert MacGillivray called Mollie's Dolly.

It's a very sililar idea to LLD: only this doll called "Maidey" has a switch at the back where she can be turned on and off. Maidey is a bossy doll who is dressed as a Victorian maid.

I don't recall any maid dolls on sale at that time - though I get the felling the thinking might have been a reference to Molly Mills from Tammy - it could have beem Rob MacG having a pop at Tammy over LLD's cancellation in 1974.

Either way Molly's Dolly didn;t catch on and in 1979 Rob MacG debut the more successful Trixie's Treasure Chest which ran until Debbie closed in 1983.

Bet Rob MacG hated mergers - both Trixie's TC and LLD were cancalled as a result of them, plus Maisie's Magic Eye from Sally - only Jeanie and Her Uncle Meanie from Sandie would survive (thoguh LLD did first time with Schoolfriend and June's merger).