Lucky's Living Doll

Discuss all the girls comics that have appeared over the years. Excellent titles like Bunty, Misty, Spellbound, Tammy and June, amongst many others, can all be remembered here.

Moderator: AndyB

Tammyfan

Re: Lucky's Living Doll

Post by Tammyfan »

We've had discussion of the Tammy Cover Girls on this thread, and I mentioned that they had a story all to themselves at one point. I found the issue in my collection, so here is the complete story of the Tammy Cover Girls.

ImageImageImage
Last edited by Tammyfan on 29 Dec 2013, 07:23, edited 3 times in total.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Interesting that the junior sister is called June, even though her name doesn't appear on the cover anymore - or maybe she was one of those unfortunate kids saddled with multiple Christian names, including Jinty, Misty, Sandie, and Sally. :)

Assuming this was the only Cover Girls story I guess readers can't have responded with the level of enthusiasm that the editor was hoping for.

- Phil R.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

philcom55 wrote:Interesting that the junior sister is called June, even though her name doesn't appear on the cover anymore - or maybe she was one of those unfortunate kids saddled with multiple Christian names, including Jinty, Misty, Sandie, and Sally. :)

Assuming this was the only Cover Girls story I guess readers can't have responded with the level of enthusiasm that the editor was hoping for.

- Phil R.
Yes, the younger girl was showing on the cover well before June merged with Tammy, wasn't she? But I suppose it's possible that Tammy looked on June as her sister comic when they were both running, and maybe more of a sister than Sally or Sandie. Later, Tammy called Jinty her sister comic when they announced the Tammy and Jinty merger.

I have no idea if this was the only Cover Girls story or not. Tammy sometimes invited readers to bring this character or that character back if they wished. Witch Hazel and My 'Brother' George are two examples, but neither of them returned. There were probably others, but to the best of my knowledge, the only Tammy strip to be brought back this way was Molly Mills. Other strips, such as Bella, My Terrible Twin and Olympia Jones, did come back by popular demand, but that was through their own popularity and no instigation by the editor.

DavidKW

Post by DavidKW »

I'm not being funny - but isn't the bit about Tammy Cover girls on another thread?

It's just that this thread's about Lucky's Living Doll, which was cancelled & the biggest casualty of June's merger into the depressing Tammy. (and Robert MacGillivray's Jeanie & Her Uncle Meanie sank at Tammy shorly after; bet Rob MacG was fed up with IPC by then).

Besides I'm putting together another LLD query at this moment, re picture libraries.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

DavidKW wrote:I'm not being funny - but isn't the bit about Tammy Cover girls on another thread?
It is another thread, but we did go on a Cover Girls tangent about page 9 of this thread.

DavidKW

Post by DavidKW »

We did albeit briefly thanks to John Richardson coming into LLD equation (along with my efforts to but JUnes off Tammyfan - the latter day ones very handy to research on June's decline so thanks Tammyfan article is being further modified & researched).

Was also going to mention how a while back I bought a June picture library book called "Tina Takes Charge" of which the cover suggests an LLD story but in fact is reprint of old strip featuring another girl called Tina.

LLD just features in ad for June comics & on back advertsing June Summer Special 1969 of which LLD got honour of a beautiful front cover (oh to have that in my collection for a small fortune! Just shows how LLD was at peak of popularity back then).

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

Having just bought June & School Friend #460 - Bessie Goes Camping, I was pleased to find that there is a second story included - Tina The Stowaway, An Adventure with Lucky's Living Doll. Yes, I know there is a small cover blurb but I hadn't noticed it before opening the comic.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

paw broon wrote:Having just bought June & School Friend #460 - Bessie Goes Camping, I was pleased to find that there is a second story included - Tina The Stowaway, An Adventure with Lucky's Living Doll. Yes, I know there is a small cover blurb but I hadn't noticed it before opening the comic.
Bessie Goes Camping? Is that Bessie Bunter?

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

Yes it is. As a Bunter fan, I could not resist a Bessie story.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

paw broon wrote:Yes it is. As a Bunter fan, I could not resist a Bessie story.
I'm a fan of Bessie Bunter too.

DavidKW

Post by DavidKW »

Hmm I think that Tina The Stowaway story I was reprinted in the 1975 Schoolfriend annual. It appears under that title anyway.

Interestingly this was not drawn by Rob MacGillivray, but it's very likely (as mentioned earlier) by Valda artist Dudley Wynne. Does a great job too (Lucky Smith looking very Emma Peel esque).

I've never understood the appeal of Bessie Bunter - just a one joke idea (might've been better if it wasn't new episode every week but some episodic stories like Billy had, with Bessie uncovering skullduggery about).

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

DavidKW wrote:Hmm I think that Tina The Stowaway story I was reprinted in the 1975 Schoolfriend annual. It appears under that title anyway.

Interestingly this was not drawn by Rob MacGillivray, but it's very likely (as mentioned earlier) by Valda artist Dudley Wynne. Does a great job too (Lucky Smith looking very Emma Peel esque).
I do recall that LLD story.

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

Going back to Bessie Bunter. As we know, Billy Bunter strips were reprinted in the Netherlands as Billy Turf. What I don't know is if Bessie Bunter was reprinted there, or anywhere else for that matter. If so, did she have a name change also?

DavidKW

Post by DavidKW »

A while back I wrote & asked:

The final "mistaken identity" story iin the final June (& Pixie) in 1974 (reprinted in the 1980 annual). Was it all played out in the final June or left unfinished or concluded in the depressing Tammy?

I can now confirm, as I finally had time to read the last few editions of June & Pixie I'd bought this year.

The final 2-parter story (over 4 pages ) is played out in its entirety in the final edition. It's possible this was done as the excellent The Haunting Of Harriet finished the previous week with a caption at the bottom that all the other stories in June will conclude next week. The Ghosts Of St Gilda's also has caption at bottom about great news next week. So reader will think uh-oh.

However the penultimate LLD is a pointless one giving out sewing tips from Tina as she & Lucky prepare for holiday. Would've been better if the final episode was spread out over 2 comics, and instread 2 pages are given over to a Goodbye Lucky's Living Doll, looking back at the adventures over the years & pictures of how appearances evolved over the years.

In fact would've been a good idea to also have 2 pages looking back at June's unlucky 13th glorious years with a brief mention to the Tammy merger.

Instead there's a great big 2 page ad telling reader about all Tammy's strips and saying efectively by the way in a corner with a picture of Bessie Bunter that she'll be in Tammy (in reprints) & in smallprint that The Strangest Stories will be there too.

Not much of a send off. Effectively saying you can like Tammy & new girl Jinty depressing stories (with all respect to their fans!) or lump it! (Jinty was very similar to Tammy to start with).

DavidKW

Post by DavidKW »

Must say I was reading those last Junes with a 1974 CD compilation playing in the back ground.

When I started reading last edition Mott The Hoople's Golden Age of Rock & Roll was fittingly playing. Even more fittingly that edition had a picture Of Terry Jacks in it right before final LLD.

I quickly re set CD track to play his Seasons In The Sun. Felt very fitting to reprent the end of an era (record was going down chart from Number 1 spot, but still in top ten at time; Ray Steven's comedy record The Streak was top at time). As I closed comic it felt just right hearing & thinking June had joy fn & seasons in the sun.

And that's just given me an idea for great blog topic. ..

"Right Tina -You and me together - Always!" a great final line.