judy comic needed!

Discuss all the girls comics that have appeared over the years. Excellent titles like Bunty, Misty, Spellbound, Tammy and June, amongst many others, can all be remembered here.

Moderator: AndyB

emmie

judy comic needed!

Post by emmie »

Hiya!
I am in search of a particular Judy comic from 1962, issue no.134. I have no idea where to start with finding it so does anyone have any suggestions? Or even better does someone actually have it?! The issue is extremely important to me and my family as there is a strip in it based on my late gran and we are hoping to have a copy of it at her funeral in a few weeks time. I know im unlikely to find one that quickly but i thought i'd give i a try!
Thanks to any one who can help :)

Tammyfan

Re: judy comic needed!

Post by Tammyfan »

Ebay is the first place to start looking. Another place is 30th century comics http://www.30thcenturycomics.co.uk. They don't have it right now but you could keep checking their catalogue for updates. You could also google the web for other comics shops and collectibles and see if they can help. Another site that could help is http://www.girlscomicsofyesterday.com, a site dedicated to Bunty, Mandy and Judy. Their Contact section often gets requests for help with particular stories and issues.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Unfortunately I don't have a copy of that issue. It occurs to me that it might be worth contacting the publisher DC Thomson however. While it's highly unlikely they'd be able to supply the comic itself they might be able to provide you with a scan of the strip in question.

- Phil R.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

philcom55 wrote:Unfortunately I don't have a copy of that issue. It occurs to me that it might be worth contacting the publisher DC Thomson however. While it's highly unlikely they'd be able to supply the comic itself they might be able to provide you with a scan of the strip in question.

- Phil R.
Contact the publisher - now that is a good idea! The website for DC Thomson is http://www.dcthomson.co.uk.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

In view of the nature of your request, emmie, you can have my copy of Judy 134 if it suits you. It is browned at the edges, and has been trimmed at some point, but every page is present. A previous owner has cut out a panel from the Club Members page Let's Get Together, probably a recipe, which impacts on three panels of the strip on the reverse, which is called Forbidden To Dance. If its condition is good enough for you, just send me your address using the PM (Private Message) system, and I can post it to you tomorrow or Monday. No charge, obviously.

David McDonald

Post by David McDonald »

Thats very decent Phoenix, world isint such a bad place :P Sorry about your Gran emmie.

David

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Regrettably, emmie has not so far replied either to my post or to the PM I sent her, which contained my email address. Never mind, hope springs eternal, as they say!

emmie

Post by emmie »

Hi everyone, thank you so much for all your replies, i've only just seen them and didn't realise I had so many! thanks to the lovely phoenix we now have a copy of the issue we were after, for which we are all so happy and grateful! :D Thank you to everyone else for all your really helpful suggestions!
Emmie

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

It's wonderful to hear that, thanks to Phoenix's kind offer, this cry for help has reached such a satisfactory conclusion.

However I can't help wondering which was the strip that was inspired by Emmie's Gran. It seems to me that there must be a truly fascinating story behind this: the sort of thing that would make a heartwarming item in DC Thomson's Weekly News - or any national newspaper for that matter!

- Phil Rushton

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

philcom55 wrote:It's wonderful to hear that, thanks to Phoenix's kind offer, this cry for help has reached such a satisfactory conclusion.

However I can't help wondering which was the strip that was inspired by Emmie's Gran. It seems to me that there must be a truly fascinating story behind this: the sort of thing that would make a heartwarming item in DC Thomson's Weekly News - or any national newspaper for that matter!

- Phil Rushton
Yes, I'd like to know more about that strip too. Any chance of a scan up here?

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

philcom55 wrote:I can't help wondering which was the strip that was inspired by Emmie's Gran. It seems to me that there must be a truly fascinating story behind this
I did know the answer yesterday, Phil, in fact I was 99% certain before Emma confirmed it, but I wasn't prepared to post the details without receiving her permission as she had communicated them in a PM. I asked last night and got the all clear this morning.

Her grandmother was a top ballet dancer called Diane Waterman. The strip Emma wanted was a double-page spread entitled The Story Of A Ballet Star - Diane Waterman Growing Up.
Tammyfan wrote:Yes, I'd like to know more about that strip too. Any chance of a scan up here?
I didn't take a scan before posting the issue. Sorry.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

My mate Steve probably has that issue so I'll ask if I can borrow it to scan. He gave me a bundle of Judy's from around that number which were doubles - he buys in bulk off ebay and gives me his doubles. Although that may now be a thing of the past as he has discovered his nephew has an ebay account and has started selling stuff for him.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Tammyfan wrote:Yes, I'd like to know more about that strip too. Any chance of a scan up here?
It's taken a year and a quarter but I have now managed to replace Judy 134. I now notice that the dancer was called Diane Westerman, not Waterman, but at the time I wrote that, I had already parted with my original copy. Here is the scan that Tammyfan requested then. I think it is just about readable.
Attachments
DianeWesterman1.jpg
DianeWesterman2.jpg