Judy covers by Sean Phillips

Discuss all the girls comics that have appeared over the years. Excellent titles like Bunty, Misty, Spellbound, Tammy and June, amongst many others, can all be remembered here.

Moderator: AndyB

peace355

Judy covers by Sean Phillips

Post by peace355 »

The talented Sean Phillips is looking for covers that he drew for Judy in the 80s

Quote:
"Hi, I was wondering if anybody could help.
Back in the 80s I drew a few covers and Judy & Co stories for Judy comic. I’ve got copies of a couple of them, but I’m still looking for the rest.
http://surebeatsworking.blogspot.co.uk/search?q=judy
I did the covers and Judy & Co stories for #1471 and #1472, and about five or six more. I’ve got the first two comics, but I haven’t seen the rest since I drew them in 1987. I’m missing the Judy comics from #1542- 1550 and upwards of #1631. If any of my covers appeared in these issues and if anybody has these for sale or could even just let me borrow them to make scans I would be very grateful. I’ve got a book coming out about my career in the summer and although it does contain a few examples of my girls comics, I’d like to include more if possible.

Thanks,
Sean"

I only own #1471 which he already has, but thought someone else might be able to help.

stevezodiac

Re: Judy covers by Sean Phillips

Post by stevezodiac »

The usual response is to try 30th Century Comics vis their website. Just had a look and they have loads of Judys. The only problem is the artist doesn't know which issue numbers he wants? He can see all the comics in person by visiting their shop in Putney SW London. They are around £1.50 - £1.75 each.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

peace355 wrote:I did the covers and Judy & Co stories for #1471 and #1472, and about five or six more. I’ve got the first two comics, but I haven’t seen the rest since I drew them in 1987.
If necessary, I would be prepared to lend Sean issues 1473 to 1480. I also have most of the rest from 1988. I do have later issues of Judy as well but not the ones he quotes.

peace355

Post by peace355 »

Nice offer but I have issues from 1473-1476 myself but I believe the artist is Norman Lee on those. Phillips did 1471 and 1472, the other covers he's not sure of the dates but gaps in collection are:
I’m missing the Judy comics from #1542- 1550 and upwards of #1631.
If you click on link to his blog his artwork should be recognisable, no worries if you haven't got any. I'll suggest 30th century comics to him.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

peace355 wrote:Phillips did 1471 and 1472, the other covers he's not sure of the dates but gaps in collection are:
Were you intending to add some issue numbers at this point?
peace355 wrote:If you click on link to his blog his artwork should be recognisable
I really wouldn't rely on my recognising anybody's artwork, apart from Allan Morley's, of course. I'm genuinely not that interested in the artwork, but the stories are very much a different matter.

Under the circumstances, I think Sean should accept Steve's suggestion and go to 30th Century to look at the covers. If he recognises any in 1988, but doesn't feel willing to pay their prices, do get back to me because I have most of that year's issues.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

The issue numbers are in the quote. :)

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Digifiend wrote:The issue numbers are in the quote. :)
Yes, I take your point, Digi, but it's certainly a cack-handed way for peace to re-present that information. It would have been far quicker for her just to type it in.

seanphillips

Post by seanphillips »

Yes, I'm looking for copies of Judy 1542-1547, 1549-1550 and 1631 upwards. Apart from the two issues mentioned at the beginning of this thread, I did about another five or six Judy covers and their corresponding Judy & Co story pages. Back when I drew them in the 80s, I'd have no idea when they'd appear and just had to keep a look out in the local newsagents.
I remember drawing one cover with Judy and her friends as cheerleaders and another with Judy skateboarding if that jogs anyone's memory.
Ideally, I'd like to buy the issues if anyone has them going spare, but if I could borrow them to scan that would be great too.

Sean
www.seanphillips.co.uk

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

According to their online catalogue tonight, 30th Century have 1545, and 1631-1634 at £1.75 each, and 1635 at £12, a premium price as it's the final issue.

seanphillips

Post by seanphillips »

Thanks, Phoenix.

seanphillips

Post by seanphillips »

Actually, I enquired after those a couple of weeks ago and #1545 is the only one they have left, and I didn't draw that cover either.
They were kind enough to send me a photo of it to make sure!

seanphillips

Post by seanphillips »

So I should amend the issues I need...

#1542-1544, 1546-1547, 1549-1550 and 1631 upwards.

I've either already got the other issues or seen them to confirm I didn't draw the covers.
I've got most issues of Judy from #1408 upwards if anyone is interested. I'll get round to putting them up on eBay in batches in the next couple of weeks...

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

seanphillips wrote:I enquired after those a couple of weeks ago and #1545 is the only one they have left
They aren't the quickest at amending their online catalogue, but they do do it eventually. I've just checked their listed Spellbound holdings. A couple of weeks or so ago I bought from them all bar one of the ones I needed for a complete set. I can confirm that they have since definitely amended that list.

seanphillips

Post by seanphillips »

It's been a while, but I've managed to buy or see most of those missing issues of Judy now.
Just two I haven't been able to confirm as having my covers...

I'm still trying to find #1631 and #1634 if anyone can help?

Even just a cover scan or photo online somewhere to discount them would be enough, but I've had no luck so far.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

seanphillips wrote:I'm still trying to find #1631 and #1634 if anyone can help?
Your best plan, Sean, might be to contact Thomsons. Seeing as you only want scans of two front covers, and given that you did quite a few covers for Judy in 1991, they surely wouldn't turn down such a reasonable request. Unfortunately I can't help because I don't think I've added more than a couple of issues to my nineties collection of Judy for two or three years. A possible alternative source would be the British Library in St Pancras. You would need to join first but you could then go up to Humanities 1 or 2 and ask an assistant how to order the bound volume. I know that Bunty and Mandy are stored at St Pancras but I think Judy is in storage at Boston Spa. You would therefore just have to wait two or three days for them to transport the volume from Boston Spa to St Pancras. It sounds a bit complicated but it really isn't. They are doing it every day so it is an extremely efficient system, which is just as well as I'll be needing to use it myself sooner rather than later.