The Tammy difference

Discuss all the girls comics that have appeared over the years. Excellent titles like Bunty, Misty, Spellbound, Tammy and June, amongst many others, can all be remembered here.

Moderator: AndyB

Tammyfan

Re: The Tammy difference

Post by Tammyfan »

Marionette wrote:Call me cynical, but I always assumed that a reprint, even brought back "by popular demand" was a lazy, money saving move by the editors.
No doubt there is some laziness, cheapness, stop gap measures or cost-cutting in reprints, yes. At times this has led to disappointments. Case in point are the last two annuals from Jinty. They are Jinty in name only; they are nothing more than a collection of reprints and there is nothing in them to say 'Jinty' at all. I also hear that some people, including Pat Mills, were disappointed with the 2009 Misty souvenir special because they felt it did not reprint the stuff from Misty that people would sink their teeth into.

Still, when it comes to popular demand, the editor is always out to please the readers. So if there is popular demand to bring back a story or character, the editor is likely to concede. Olympia Jones and Bella Barlow are two cases in point.

You can't always read the original, especially if it was printed a long time ago and you have to spend time and money tracking down issues. Or you may not know about it at all but are missing out on something great. For example, most post-1976 Tammy readers were unlikely to know about Olympia Jones, but once they read the reprint in 1981 they must have blessed the older readers who had asked for it to return. I myself had only seen two episodes of the original and I was most pleased to read it in full with the reprint. In some cases you may have missed some episodes of the original or lost it, so you welcome a reprint to catch up on what you missed or have it all over again. Also, reprints can be easier to find than originals. This happened with a contact I met once, who was trying to find a print of Sheilah's Shadow from June. I directed her to the reprint in one of the Jinty annuals. Much easier to find than the original, and far more convenient as the whole thing was in an annual. It sure beat tracking down individual June issues for the original!

peace355

Post by peace355 »

With Bunty, it wasn't just the 90s that stories were reprinted. Reprints were a common thing, for example in the 70s there was a run of Four Marys that originally appeared in the 60s. I don't think it was necessarily by demand either, I think there could have been an assumption that there would be a lot more new readers by that stage and majority of previous readers would have out grown the comic by then.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

I guess with a long-standing comic like Bunty or Buster, reprints would be pretty common. After all, it can get hard to keep coming up with new and fresh after so many years and newer readers would enjoy a taste of older stuff. M&J used to have a Mandy/Judy classic section, which I really enjoyed.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

A couple of years back Pat Mills did a straw poll with some 8-12 year old girls with some old serials from Misty and one or two from Tammy. Although they preferred colour to the old black and white, "the respondents thought Moonchild, Four Faces of Eve and Glenda's Glossy Pages were cool, and they wanted more exciting adventure, mystery and cliffhangers."

I and a couple of other people gave Pat some scans of serials from Tammy, Misty and Jinty for him to take around various publishers to see if he can get interest in a new girls' comic. Doesn't look like he has had much success so far with publishers, but the straw poll gave him confidence that there was still a readership. The Phoenix seems to be doing well, too. So is there still a market out there that will buy a girls' comic? If so, what will it take for them to buy the comic? What do you think?
Last edited by Tammyfan on 27 Jun 2013, 02:04, edited 1 time in total.

Raven

Post by Raven »

Tammyfan wrote:I guess with a long-standing comic like Bunty or Buster, reprints would be pretty common. After all, it can get hard to keep coming up with new and fresh after so many years and newer readers would enjoy a taste of older stuff.
I think the reason for reprints has always been the same: simply to cut costs; I find it very difficult to believe that there have ever been any genuine cases where multitudes of readers have actually requested or demanded a reprint of a serial! (Reminds me of that disingenuous strapline which so often appeared on Marvel comic covers:"Because YOU demanded it!")

There will have been cases like, for example, Leo Baxendale's Clever Dick for Buster, a strip so very much in his own personal humour style, and which might not have been so inventive in another's hands, where it just made more sense, when Baxendale left comics, to simply start reprinting his just-over-five-year's-worth of the strip. But recycling will ultimately always have been about saving money.
Tammyfan wrote:So is there still a market out there that will buy a girls' comic? If so, what will it take for them to buy the comic? What do you think?
It might be worth having a look at manga, which seemed to be the thing that finally drew young females into comic shops: what they like and why they like it.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

Whatever the reasons for reprints, I don't think readers would complain. I remember one Tammy reader who had been reading Tammy from number 1 writing in suggesting they just have reprints for nostalgia's sake. She said that she was pretty sure older readers would not mind the repeats.
It might be worth having a look at manga, which seemed to be the thing that finally drew young females into comic shops: what they like and why they like it.
Pat's straw poll may give some indication as well. It was a small group, yes, but he felt he got all he needed to know and didn't need to test with a larger group. The Phoenix would be another example to look at. Why do readers like it and what adjustments do the Phoenix team make to keep it appealing? And don't forget 2000AD. Why is it the only comic from the 1970s that is still standing, and what lessons could a girls' comic team learn from it?

Marionette

Post by Marionette »

Tammyfan wrote:Whatever the reasons for reprints, I don't think readers would complain. I remember one Tammy reader who had been reading Tammy from number 1 writing in suggesting they just have reprints for nostalgia's sake. She said that she was pretty sure older readers would not mind the repeats.
I suppose when you have around 12 strips per issue, devoting one of those slots to a reprint isn't going to bother anyone much, even if they've seen it before.
The Tammy Project: Documenting the classic British girls' comic, one serial at a time.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

I don't think Tammy readers minded the reprint of Glenda's Glossy Pages in 1983. It was just repeated, with no indication that it was by popular demand or that it was a reprint at all. But I could tell it was a reprint because the inking made it look like an older Mario Capaldi story, and it had no credits (Tammy was running credits by that stage). I was pleased to see a Tammy story from the past (yep, nostalgia).

Jinty readers probably didn't mind the repeat of Angela's Angels in 1981. Newer readers must have been pleased to read one of Jinty's very first stories (Jinty said it was). The repeat was in response to Pam's Poll, where many girls asked for a nursing story. Maybe a repeat instead of a new nursing story was a more convenient response. But then, Jinty had always been short on nursing stories and the only other one I saw was Willa on Wheels. The same went for Tammy. This was probably a deliberate break from more traditional comics which had nursing stories galore.

Come to think of it, I wonder why Jinty didn't have more nursing stories with Mavis on board? She used to be editor of June, which had Nursing is My Life. And why nothing that was inspired by Lucky's Living Doll? Mind you, Jinty did run one story about Liliputians and a descendant of Gulliver, and it appeared to be popular. Ah yes - A Girl Called Gulliver - yes, that was the title. It may be stretching a point, but is it possible LLD was an influence on this story as well as Jonathon Swift?

DavidKW

Post by DavidKW »

Out of curiosity how long was Mavis Miller in charge of "June"? I'm putting together a thread on June's rapid decline (containing many bad decisions).

Speaking of usage on the "Lucky's Living Doll" concept, sci-fi stories like "Beryl In A Bottle" by Rob MacGillivray would've fitted in with Jinty, only Rob MacG had now almost totally defected to DCT.

DavidKW

Post by DavidKW »

And on the subject of savagery, if you look at whats been written about the bahviour of some girls today they'd be more than capable of being like the boys in Lord Of The Flies.

At my schools in the late 1970s/1980s, there were many scenes like Lord Of The Flies/Kids Rule OK? in the playground, and in some cases the girls were just as savage as the boys.

In 1980 at primary school my wishy washy headteacher banished football in the yard for 2 days a week, instead to have old games like hoops, hopscoth, noughts and crosses using skittles for props & draughts using tin cans. It soon gor dropped following many injuries and acts of savagery.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

DavidKW wrote:Out of curiosity how long was Mavis Miller in charge of "June"? I'm putting together a thread on June's rapid decline (containing many bad decisions).

Speaking of usage on the "Lucky's Living Doll" concept, sci-fi stories like "Beryl In A Bottle" by Rob MacGillivray would've fitted in with Jinty, only Rob MacG had now almost totally defected to DCT.
Sorry, I have no idea how long Mavis was on June. I hope someone has an interview with her before it's too late. Can you post a link to your June thread, please?

Yes, I also think MacGilivrary would have blended right in with Jinty. I wonder how Gaye's Gloomy Ghost or Sue's Fantastic Fun-bag would have looked if MacGilivray had drawn them instead of Hugh Thornton-Jones? As it was, the only MacGilivray to appear in Jinty was a Strange Story recycled as a Gypsy Rose.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

Another Pat Mills link on the subject:

http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/20 ... new-comic/

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

I did go to London last Thursday for the weekend. Apart from going to the excellent Lowry exhibition at the Tate Britain, I spent most of my time with Andrew's acquired family, principally my 21-month-old granddaughter, Aurora. At such a time, comics seem quite unimportant when set against crayoning, reading, building with bricks, CBeebies and Lego. I don't know how advanced this is, but she built a giraffe exactly as per the small plan on the Lego box lid. As for vocabulary, well, as she wasn't saying any recognisable words a month ago, I took a box of 50 flashcards (one picture and one word per card) with me to get her started. Well, apart from a handful of items she had never seen such as king, and queen, she knew, and could say, all of them. On Thursday, jam was strawberry because there was a strawberry in the middle of the jar, and zebra was horse. By Saturday she had got them right. I was so surprised that I needed quite a few scoops, although I did blame the heat. This also led to a few meals out in such watering holes as The Old Garage in Southfields, and The Telegraph and The Green Man somewhere in Putney.

Do excuse my meandering, please. The point I started out to make was that, as promised on this thread, I gave Whitney, the 15-year-old daughter of Andrew's partner Maria, a substantial run of Misty to read. It turns out that she had heard of the comic but had never read one. She has promised to let me know in due course what she thinks of them, especially the serials. I will then report her findings and opinions on this thread.

Do feel free to skip my opening paragraph.

Marionette

Post by Marionette »

Phoenix wrote: Do feel free to skip my opening paragraph.
You say that now. :P
The Tammy Project: Documenting the classic British girls' comic, one serial at a time.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Marionette wrote:You say that now. :P
Yes, I have a sense of humour.