Refugees from Sally

Discuss all the girls comics that have appeared over the years. Excellent titles like Bunty, Misty, Spellbound, Tammy and June, amongst many others, can all be remembered here.

Moderator: AndyB

DavidKW

Re: Refugees from Sally

Post by DavidKW »

Great comic.

I read other bits on Sally by chance when I did some research on comics & it gave me an appetite for it & want to find out more.

Thanks for all this info on this site.

I too have only so far been able to find & buy one edition of the comic (no.3) and a few of the ace annuals.

Must say I think a merger with "June" would've been a better fit rather than "Tammy". The Cat Girl is lost amongst Tammy's gritty gloomy stories.
The Sally strips would've fitted better with Une's more variety orinentation & given June a bit boost - sadly another one of the many poor decisions & wasted opportnities which hastened June's demise.

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

I'm just catching up at the moment.. I think Twangy Pearl is by Mike Lacey.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

DavidKW wrote:Great comic.

I read other bits on Sally by chance when I did some research on comics & it gave me an appetite for it & want to find out more.

Thanks for all this info on this site.

I too have only so far been able to find & buy one edition of the comic (no.3) and a few of the ace annuals.

Must say I think a merger with "June" would've been a better fit rather than "Tammy". The Cat Girl is lost amongst Tammy's gritty gloomy stories.
The Sally strips would've fitted better with June's more variety orientation & given June a bit boost - sadly another one of the many poor decisions & wasted opportunities which hastened June's demise.
Maybe June was still working through another merger at the time?

Sally would also have been a good fit for Jinty if Jinty had been around at the time. Cat Girl would have been right at home with strips like the Jinx from St Jonah's. I notice that a lot of the artists from June came to work on the early Jinty (such as Phil Gascoigne, Phil Townsend, Robert MacGillivray, Carlos Freixas, Jim Baikie). And June's editor, Mavis Miller, ended up on Jinty and gave it the distinct feel that was all Jinty by 1977, but it started fading a bit by 1980 when Miller left to get married.

DavidKW

Post by DavidKW »

June couldn't have been in 1971 - it still was under the June & Schoolfriend banner come MArch - though it would re-brand as Just June come November. Its next and last merger was with Pixie in 1973 - a disastrous & unbalanced merger too.

June had already carried some great sci-fi strips before Sally came along so it would've been a better fit than be lost amongst Tammy's grittier hard-hitting stories.

Agree Jinty would've been a good fit when it took more sport & sci fi themes & moved away from being a Tammy copy.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

Yes, some mergers were awful because the comics were a mismatch. June and Pixie was one. I suspect Girl and Tammy would have been another if it had gone ahead. How can a picture story comic work with a photostory comic? Girl would either have to take on more picture stories or (more likely) Tammy would have disappeared very quickly once her remaining serials were finished, with only Bella and/or Pam carrying on, probably with Sadie in Waiting.

Sila

Post by Sila »

I would very much appreciate it if anybody can scan and post here the first two episodes of Sara's Kingdom as probably appeared in Sally issues No 33 (24/1/1970 & 31/1970), as well as its final episode in a Tammy 10/7/1971

Sila

Post by Sila »

Sorry, I repeat Sally issues No 33 (24/1/1970) & No 34 (31/1/1970)

helsbels

Post by helsbels »

Sila wrote:Sorry, I repeat Sally issues No 33 (24/1/1970) & No 34 (31/1/1970)

Here is Sara's Kingdom from 24/1/70 issue of Sally:

helsbels

Post by helsbels »

And here is the episode from 31/1/70:

helsbels

Post by helsbels »

I will try and get the episode from Tammy you're looking for - it'll just take a bit more digging around in the collection!

Marionette

Post by Marionette »

I have it already scanned, helsbels. I can post it if you like.

I used several panels from it in my article on Sara's Kingdom. Basically, Sara kicks the bad guy where it hurts and steals his magic hat, so he loses control of everyone. The end. It's a horribly rushed ending to the series.
The Tammy Project: Documenting the classic British girls' comic, one serial at a time.

helsbels

Post by helsbels »

Was there anything else you were looking for scan-wise from Sally, Marionette? Only my Sally collection is close at hand and I actually have a bit of spare time!

Sila

Post by Sila »

I thank you so much Helsbels !!
This very story was the first one that inspired me into the comics world when I was very very young and I really love it. I have been looking for the first two episodes for over (20 !) years in Greece and the last couple of years in Britain as well (in Ebay and purenostalgia bookshop which disposes of many Sallys), but I could not find them. Thanks to Marionette's lively and descriptive writing (she is doing really a great job with the Tammy Project), I had the chance to at least remember again the final episode, as there were some photos of it there (I have all the other episodes). I noticed though that the Sally used to publish the story in 3 pages episodes, while the Greek magazine in 6 pages (that means I still miss 2 episodes), so I wonder if it was too much to ask from you to post the following two issues 35 and 36 if you had some spare time?
Are you in search of any story in particular, as I would be more than happy if I could be of any help for you as well,

helsbels

Post by helsbels »

Here is Sara's Kingdom from 7/2/70:

From 14/2/70:

And from 21/2/70, in case you need it:

Marionette

Post by Marionette »

Final episode of Sara's Kingdom:

And helsbels, since you are kindly offering, I'd love to see some more of The Justice of Justine. I only have her in a couple of issues of Sally I own from September 1969, so anything else would be great. Oh, and on the off-chance you have the second issue of Sally, I'd love to find out how Tamara escaped from the tower in Legion of Super Slaves.
The Tammy Project: Documenting the classic British girls' comic, one serial at a time.