Cathy the Cat Girl

Discuss all the girls comics that have appeared over the years. Excellent titles like Bunty, Misty, Spellbound, Tammy and June, amongst many others, can all be remembered here.

Moderator: AndyB

Jane1

Cathy the Cat Girl

Post by Jane1 »

Hi, I wonder if anyone can help me with a Cat Girl story. Pretty sure there was a story where Cathy Carter, without her cat suit, was hypnotised by the villain. Just wondered if anyone could remember the circumstance and who the villain was.

Tammyfan

Re: Cathy the Cat Girl

Post by Tammyfan »

I don't think this story appeared during Cat Girl's run in Tammy. Maybe it was during her run in Sally?

Jane1

Post by Jane1 »

Tammyfan, You may well be right, it could have been a Sally story. I used to have both Sally and Tammy comics years ago and loved the Cat Girl stories but passed them on. Wish I had kept them now! Were there any Tammy stories featuring Cat Girl in which she was kidnapped/taken prisoner by the villains at all?

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

Jane1 wrote:Tammyfan, You may well be right, it could have been a Sally story. I used to have both Sally and Tammy comics years ago and loved the Cat Girl stories but passed them on. Wish I had kept them now! Were there any Tammy stories featuring Cat Girl in which she was kidnapped/taken prisoner by the villains at all?
There was one story where Cat Girl and her father run into trouble with the state police of a totalitarian country. She is taken prisoner by them, given a truth drug (which backfires) and locked in a dark room designed to drive people mad with terrors. But it doesn't work on her because she can see in the dark. In fact, the dark room unwittingly helps her escape. Read more about her Tammy adventures here. http://marionette.org.uk/tammyproject/the-cat-girl/
Last edited by Tammyfan on 02 May 2014, 05:35, edited 1 time in total.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

I checked my Tammy index to see if Cat Girl showed up in the Tammy annuals. She did not, so that rules those out too. If this hypnotist story appeared, then it must be a Sally story, in the regular comic, annual, or (if there was one) holiday special.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Hi Jane!

I don't know if this episode is the one you're thinking off but it's the closest I could find.

- Phil Rushton

Jane1

Post by Jane1 »

Phil,
Yes, this was the story I was thinking of. Strange the things you don't think of when you are younger, like when Cathy had her cat suit taken from her, where did her normal clothes suddenly appear from. Thanks for posting though, it really was an action packed episode. Can't remember any myself, but do you know if there were any stories where the Eagle actually knocked Cathy/Cat Girl out, or would that have been considered wrong for a girls comic?

Jane1

Post by Jane1 »

Phil,
If I remember correctly, Cat Girl comes out of her trance and then escapes from the Eagles gang when they either throw her out (or did she jump) of the Eagles plane. I think Cat Girl then lands on the train that is about to be robbed! Do you know if she managed to thwart the robbery or did the story take another turn?

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Here's the next episode:

As you can see Jane, your memory of the story is remarkably accurate bearing in mind that it must be 45 years since you read it! Personally I think it's a bit of a cop-out to have the cat suit's magic cancel Cathy's brainwashing, but I get the impression they wanted to show Cat Girl as a positive role model who could always be relied upon to bounce back from any cliff-hanging peril in the very next issue.

Of course Cathy manages to thwart the train robbery, though she arranges things so her dad gets all the credit! I'll scan the conclusion when I get chance. :)

- Phil Rushton

Jane1

Post by Jane1 »

Phil,
Actually, my memories not that good, I had a lot of these comics until about 10 years ago, then passed most of them on after having a last look. I still have some, though, as well as a couple of Sally annuals. Of course, I now wish I had kept them all! With all those villains in the plane, its amazing they did not manage to overpower Cat Girl before she managed her James Bond like escape! I think it might have been more realistic if, every so often, Cat Girl either fainted or was knocked out, after all she was still a young girl against some criminal masterminds, cat suit or not. It would also have given the Eagle a chance for a one liner such as 'time for a cat nap, my dear puss!' (sorry, that's a bit corny).
It would probably also have given Cathy the chance to display even more of her feline powers when she woke up and, of course, escaped.

Thanks once more for your help,
Jane.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

You really should have been a script writer Jane - that's exactly the sort of creepy line the Eagle would have come up with! :)

Here's the next episode of Cat Girl's 'Great Train Robbery'. It's interesting to think that memories of the real thing would still have been quite fresh when this story appeared in 1969.

...To be concluded!

- Phil Rushton

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

...And here's the action-packed climax!

The visit to the hypnotist at the end is especially weird - I'd love to have seen how that went down!

I really do like Cat Girl. Her adventures may seem silly and absurd - as well as flouting many of the basic conventions of the super hero genre - but, as Marionette says, the writer clearly knows what he or she is doing. I particularly appreciate the way in which Cathy never attempts to confront any of her opponents physically - even though her athletic prowess suggests that she must be unnaturally strong. Thus the villains are overpowered by a comical posse of city gents and umbrella-wielding matrons instead. Cat Girl's a mover, not a fighter; and a leaper and a sneaker and a snooper - just like a real cat! :)

- Phil Rushton

Jane1

Post by Jane1 »

Thanks Phil,
Wow, what an action packed story, I could vaguely remember Cathy Carter being brainwashed but not the ending.
As for my script writing prowess, I could imagine the Eagle coming out with the ‘cat nap’ remark after capturing Cat Girl and holding her at gun point while the dreaded Miss Klein hits her on the head knocking Cat Girl unconscious but I could never have come up with this story in 10 years!
I am sure you are right, in spite of Cat Girl herself being shoved out of planes, off trains, shot at, sent flying down a tube into a ravine, dropped from a trapeze onto a circus floor and injected with a serum to name but a few, she never once resorted to violence herself. Rather she solved crime by using her wits and intelligence.
I was never really sure how strong Cat Girl was supposed to be but her athletic prowess and agility were not in any doubt. What I loved most of all, however, was the way the stories combined Cat Girl being in frequent danger but always keeping their humorous element and the way she always managed to give the credit to her dad, who most of the time didn’t seem to know what was happening!
All in all though, it was much different from the girl and horse or girl trying to make her way in spite of living with a nasty distant relative stories (Bella at the Bar is the one I recall).
Thanks once more for the scans, they bought back some great memories. :)

Jane

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

That's no problem Jane - truth is I've enjoyed having an excuse to look back through these marvelous (if slightly dotty) tales again. :)

For a so-called detective Cathy's dad really is clueless isn't he? This is made even more apparent in the storyline which follows the 'El Sorro' one, where he finally gets to see his daughter in action as Cat Girl and still doesn't put two and two together!

This story is also interesting for the way in which Cathy uses the suit's magic to fulfill her personal ambitions, something that most self-respecting super heroes would view as being rather unethical. In some ways it reminds me of Alan Moore's version of Kid Marvelman - a junior hero who became so addicted to his super powers that he decided never to say the magic word that would make him a normal boy again. Of course, in Cathy's case the whole thing is quite innocent, and largely prompted by her selfless desire to help her father's career. Even so, one can't help wondering if she might some day be tempted to keep the cat suit on permanently...!

Alternatively, it could be argued that the suit isn't magic at all - and that just like 'Moscova's ballet slippers' it simply acts as a psychological key that allows Cathy to access unconscious abilities that have been there all along.

- Phil Rushton

Jane1

Post by Jane1 »

Thanks Phil,
Some interesting thoughts, Phil. I know in the 1971 annual, Cathy wanted to investigate a case in a circus while her dad was away but her dad told her he didn’t want ‘little’ Cathy being involved. As soon as her dad left, Cathy put on her cat suit, 'just for old time’s sake' which may support the theory she would have found it increasingly difficult not to wear it. She also seemed quite cross with her dad, for calling her ‘little Cathy’ and she thinks aloud to herself about all the cases she has helped him with. As Cat Girl, she did get involved and solved the case but only after putting herself in great danger. The story also mentions Cathy being left on her own in the house. I always assumed Cathy Carter was around 13 or 14 years old, but her dad was happy to leave her on her own while he went to Scotland. Was her age ever actually revealed at all?

I assume Cathy managed to retrieve the cat suit before too much damage was done!

Jane