Looking for Ending to Stories

Discuss all the girls comics that have appeared over the years. Excellent titles like Bunty, Misty, Spellbound, Tammy and June, amongst many others, can all be remembered here.

Moderator: AndyB

peace355

Looking for Ending to Stories

Post by peace355 »

I've had a few queries on my website about endings to stories, wondered if anyone can help.

Firstly a person thinks the story was from Mandy or Bunty . "I think it was set in victorian england and was about this girl who had lost her memory. I think she had been kidnapped from a rich family and set out on the streets and then she found employment as a kitchen maid or something with another family"

Secondly from Tracy, story about a girl who was jealous and resentful of every other girl her parents tried to foster and did horrible things to scupper each girl’s chances of being fostered by her parents, this girl just didn’t want to share her home or her parents with anybody else, she thinks it was called “This Is My Home”.

And lastly a story that I would like to know ending of from Emma which must have ended in issue 9 or 10 "Lynne against Lareno". Lynne Martin comes to a small American town, Lareno, just outside the Mexican border, to visit her friend Kate. But she is told that Kate has died and everyone in the town is hostile towards Lynne wanting her to leave. Lynne isn’t convinced Kate is dead and is determined to stay and find out the truth.

helsbels

Re: Looking for Ending to Stories

Post by helsbels »

Hi Peace - if you'd like scans from the final episode I can oblige a little later when I dig out my Emmas. I should have the ending for you.

peace355

Post by peace355 »

That would be great, thanks!

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Lynne Against Lareno

Lynne eventually finds Kate but is chased away. The townsfolk are apparently hiding a fortune in gold ingots. The sheriff catches up with her in his kind of Jeep and shoots to kill. She is rescued in the nick of time by Mike Gregg, who has been helping her previously without revealing the fact. Mike's car is fast enough to jump over a ravine but the sheriff doesn't risk it. They get the police to radio the Highway Patrol to get over to Lareno. The inhabitants all leave with their treasure, which was loot of gold worth millions of dollars from a robbery in Boston. The thieves' plane had crashed, the crew killed, and the booty shared out. Lynne, Kate and Mike leave together.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Regarding your second request, peace, This Is MY Home! appeared in Tracy 16 (Jan. 19 1980) - 29 (Apr. 19 1980). I'll spend about an hour tonight thinking about your first request, but while the chances are reasonably high that I will have the story, the canvas could really do with being a good bit narrower. It could be in Mandy (1269 issues), it could be in Bunty (2249 issues), it could be set in Victorian England, a girl could have been kidnapped from a rich family............ Could the person who made the initial enquiry not be pinned down to a specific decade?

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

Phoenix wrote:Regarding your second request, peace, This Is MY Home! appeared in Tracy 16 (Jan. 19 1980) - 29 (Apr. 19 1980). I'll spend about an hour tonight thinking about your first request, but while the chances are reasonably high that I will have the story, the canvas could really do with being a good bit narrower. It could be in Mandy (1269 issues), it could be in Bunty (2249 issues), it could be set in Victorian England, a girl could have been kidnapped from a rich family............ Could the person who made the initial enquiry not be pinned down to a specific decade?
Yes, I thought the description about the Victorian one was a bit vague too, and could do with more specifics. But I must say I have gotten curious about This is My Home too. The person asking about it wants to know how it ended, so if you could answer that, it would be great.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

peace355 wrote:Firstly a person thinks the story was from Mandy or Bunty . "I think it was set in victorian england and was about this girl who had lost her memory. I think she had been kidnapped from a rich family and set out on the streets and then she found employment as a kitchen maid or something with another family"
I'm not putting this serial forward as the definitive answer because it doesn't match three of the features mentioned by the enquirer, the memory loss, the kidnap and the rich family, but Honor Among Thieves in Mandy 55 (Feb. 3 1968) - 66 (Apr. 20 1968), repeated as The Courage Of Honor Bright in Mandy 424 (Mar. 1 1975) - 435 (May 17 1975), and repeated again in March 1985, is set in Victorian England, Honor is sent out into the streets by her 'aunt' Betsy to be a pickpocket, and at the end of the story she does end up in a welcoming family. I'm suggesting this story now because the enquirer doesn't seem to have much more than a vague idea of the story she 'remembers' anyway, and this just might be it. Regrettably, nothing further comes to mind.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

Phoenix wrote:
peace355 wrote:Firstly a person thinks the story was from Mandy or Bunty . "I think it was set in victorian england and was about this girl who had lost her memory. I think she had been kidnapped from a rich family and set out on the streets and then she found employment as a kitchen maid or something with another family"
I'm not putting this serial forward as the definitive answer because it doesn't match three of the features mentioned by the enquirer, the memory loss, the kidnap and the rich family, but Honor Among Thieves in Mandy 55 (Feb. 3 1968) - 66 (Apr. 20 1968), repeated as The Courage Of Honor Bright in Mandy 424 (Mar. 1 1975) - 435 (May 17 1975), and repeated again in March 1985, is set in Victorian England, Honor is sent out into the streets by her 'aunt' Betsy to be a pickpocket, and at the end of the story she does end up in a welcoming family. I'm suggesting this story now because the enquirer doesn't seem to have much more than a vague idea of the story she 'remembers' anyway, and this just might be it. Regrettably, nothing further comes to mind.
I had also wondered if "Who is Sad Sally?" from Mandy is a possibility? That dealt with another amnesiac in Victorian times, who is set up as a beggar by a crooked woman because she is mute as well. There was also "The Double Life of Dolly Brown", another amnesiac being blackmailed into participating in a fraudulent act. Okay, that one is unlikely, but still part of the same genre. It turns out in both cases that the girls come from rich families.
Last edited by Tammyfan on 01 Jun 2014, 23:56, edited 1 time in total.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

I am finding this serial "This is My Home" sounds a bit bit different to the usual formula, where the girl tries to get rid of the newcomer in her home, but is frustrated to find her rival seems to have nine lives. She stays on, either because some tricks backfire or the parents can't quite part with her. But here, from the sound of it, the girl not only succeeds in getting rid of the newcomer, but does it over and over before, I presume, she finally comes unstuck.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Tammyfan wrote:I must say I have gotten curious about This is My Home too. The person asking about it wants to know how it ended, so if you could answer that, it would be great.
The assortment of girls from the Children's Home seeking adoption continues right to the end, but when Cathy, the penultimate one, decides not to stay she tells Claire a few home truths. She says, and I quote, The girls at the Children's Home told me - but I didn't believe it! (Claire - Believe what?) That you caused trouble to get rid of them! Well, you've got rid of me too! Somehow you found out I couldn't read, and you made the most of it. But don't worry, I won't tell your mother - you've got enough problems! For once, someone has got through to Claire because she is forced to start asking herself what these problems are. In the final instalment, when Claire's father comes home, her mother tells him that the Children's Home rang to say that they are not going to send any more girls. Claire is delighted. However, she also overhears her father say that his business partner and his wife have been killed in a plane crash, and that he has brought their only daughter, Lucy, to stay until her relatives have been informed. Lucy then tells them that she is an orphan, as were her parents, and there are no relatives. Claire's selfishness starts to dissipate, and Lucy overhears her tell her mother that as Lucy doesn't seem to have had many possessions she can share all hers. Lucy packs all her belongings and leaves the house without telling anyone. Fortunately a neighbour rings up to say he has seen her going back into her family home. All three go over to collect her. Claire is amazed at how small her house is, and even more so when Lucy tells her that although they lived simply they had so much fun together, were a very happy family, and her parents loved her. At that point Claire asks Lucy if she could get used to another family. She has realised that possessions aren't everything, and that it would be so much better if she had someone to share hers with her. Some months later Lucy's adoption papers come through, before which Claire confesses all the wrongs done to the children from the Children's Home, and is forgiven.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

Thanks, Phoenix. Yes, you'd think someone would get suspicious with the same thing happening over and over, and welfare would stop sending the girls. I also figured that the girl repenting had to be one way it could end. That or she simply being caught out and punished.

peace355

Post by peace355 »

Thanks for all the answers and the suggestions! Much appreciated :)

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

peace355 wrote:Thanks for all the answers and the suggestions! Much appreciated
Is there any possibility, peace, that you can get the person who made the enqury about the possibly-Bunty-possibly-Mandy story to narrow down our search, perhaps by telling you/us roughly when she read it? Sixty-five years-worth of stories is a pretty large pool for us to be groping around in.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

Phoenix wrote:
peace355 wrote:Thanks for all the answers and the suggestions! Much appreciated
Is there any possibility, peace, that you can get the person who made the enqury about the possibly-Bunty-possibly-Mandy story to narrow down our search, perhaps by telling you/us roughly when she read it? Sixty-five years-worth of stories is a pretty large pool for us to be groping around in.
Especially when DCT must have run zillions of suchlike stories. It was the sort of thing that would have been common in Bunty alone.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Phoenix wrote:Is there any possibility, peace, that you can get the person who made the enqury about the possibly-Bunty-possibly-Mandy story to narrow down our search, perhaps by telling you/us roughly when she read it? Sixty-five years-worth of stories is a pretty large pool for us to be groping around in.
Just to point out, peace, that it is now two months since I made this request. Did you contact the person who made the enquiry? Has she/he found the answer independently? Some clarification would be appreciated as we would not like them to think that comics UK members have simply shoved the search under the carpet like so much dust.