Cat Girl - female adversaries?

Discuss all the girls comics that have appeared over the years. Excellent titles like Bunty, Misty, Spellbound, Tammy and June, amongst many others, can all be remembered here.

Moderator: AndyB

Jane1

Cat Girl - female adversaries?

Post by Jane1 »

There seemed to be male villains on every continent who wanted to see the end of Cat Girl, but does anyone know if there were any story lines where Cat Girls main enemy was female?

philcom55

Re: Cat Girl - female adversaries?

Post by philcom55 »

Surprisingly, female adversaries seem to have been very few and far between. The only possible candidate I could find was Angela Cook who, with her jailbird father and theatrical role as Dick Whittington's cat, could almost be seen as a negative counterpart of Cathy herself. Sadly she doesn't play a very prominent part in this particular episode, though we do get to witness one of Cat Girl's trademark escapes from yet another fiendish death trap!

...In fact it's strange how few female characters of any kind appear in Cat Girl's adventures - something that might be explained by the fact that we never seem to see her going to school either. Could she be home schooled? For the most part Cathy's world appears to consist entirely of men, who can in turn be divided into evil masterminds like the Eagle and El Sorro, and well-meaning but dim types like her father! :?

(Annoyingly I don't have the next episode which sounds as though it might feature a spectacular 'cat fight' between Cathy and her feline nemesis)

- Phil Rushton

Marionette

Post by Marionette »

philcom55 wrote: (Annoyingly I don't have the next episode which sounds as though it might feature a spectacular 'cat fight' between Cathy and her feline nemesis)

- Phil Rushton
At the very least there should be a point where one of the cat girls is pretending to be or mistaken for the other one.
The Tammy Project: Documenting the classic British girls' comic, one serial at a time.

Jane1

Post by Jane1 »

I guess it could be a bit of both. I would think Cat Girl would have confronted Angela who still had her cat outfit on and the two girls had their cat fight. As a crowd gathers, Angela uses cat like cunning and accuses Cat Girl of being a criminal and only pretending to be Cat Girl. The crowd then unwittingly help Angela to overpower Cat Girl, rendering her helpless. I would imagine Angela then leaves Cat Girl in a despicable trap to meet her doom, from which Cat Girl would escape in the next episode!

Thanks,
Jane.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Brilliant - that'd work perfectly! :)

- Phil R.

Jane1

Post by Jane1 »

Phil,
Thanks but the more I look at this the more I think Betty Breton must have had something to do with it. She already seems to think Angela is Cat Girl, so if Angela and Cathy have a cat fight maybe it is Betty who distracts Cat Girl and allows Angela to stun Cat Girl with a blow and then while Cat Girl is dazed Angela captures her. Still, I suppose we will never know, nice to speculate, though.

Do you know if Angela Cook was a one off or did she appear in other story lines?

Jane

Sila

Post by Sila »

Betty Brenton does not appear in another Cat girl story.
. At the final episode there is indeed a big cat fight and of course Cathy wins (she bites Angela); Angela pursues her but Betty puts her foot and she makes her fall. Angela's accomplice shoots against Cathy but she springs on him and then when they come under her father's office Cathy flows the stick with the handkerchief through his window and magically the jewelry is hidden in this handkerchief ! The police arrests the bandits an the detective believes that the villains out of fear for him handed over to him the jewelry! Another triumph for the detective!!

Sila

Post by Sila »

Sorry I mean Angela Cook did not appear again

Jane1

Post by Jane1 »

Thanks very much for that, Cat Girl not only solves another mystery, she once more manages to give her dad the credit. Fantastic :)

Thanks,
Jane

PS. Have you noticed what bad shots the villains are, Cat Girl is often shot at, sometimes at point blank range, but they never even wound her!

Marionette

Post by Marionette »

Final episode of the story, in greek, from Sila.

The Tammy Project: Documenting the classic British girls' comic, one serial at a time.