Mandy- Debbie merger

Discuss all the girls comics that have appeared over the years. Excellent titles like Bunty, Misty, Spellbound, Tammy and June, amongst many others, can all be remembered here.

Moderator: AndyB

peace355

Mandy- Debbie merger

Post by peace355 »

I was looking into DCT mergers and the Mandy - Debbie merger is one I know little about. Would I be right that it merged with Mandy #835?
Anyone have details on what stories/features came over to Mandy?
I believe Damian Darke and the photo story Randell Road Girls came over anything else?
How long did the Debbie logo last on the Masthead?

Phoenix
Guru

Re: Mandy- Debbie merger

Post by Phoenix »

peace355 wrote:I was looking into DCT mergers and the Mandy - Debbie merger is one I know little about. Would I be right that it merged with Mandy #835?
Anyone have details on what stories/features came over to Mandy?
I believe Damian Darke and the photo story Randell Road Girls came over anything else?
How long did the Debbie logo last on the Masthead?
No, the merger took place in 836 (Jan. 22 1983). The merger was advertised in 835. The Debbie logo lasted until issue 859 (Jul. 2 1983). I'll post this now, peace, and give you the details about the Debbie stories that continued in Mandy later this evening. I'm starving so I'm off to the chippy. In any case, patience is a virtue, or so my mother used to tell me when I wanted something desperately. I think it was a euphemism for No, you can't have it!

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Only two Debbie serials survived the merger, the photo story The Randell Road Girls and No Rest For Rosie. All the other serials ended in Debbie's final issue. For the record these titles were A Pony To Share, Spring Tide, Dance, Puppet, Dance!, the photo story Phantom Of The Footlights, and Trixie's Treasure Chest.

A full-page advert re. the merger appeared in the final issue of Debbie and an almost identical one in Mandy 835. The scans below are from Mandy.
Attachments
MandyDebbie2.jpg
MandyDebbie1.jpg

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Damian Darke's first appearance in the combined Mandy and Debbie title came in issue 841 (Feb. 26 1983).

peace355

Post by peace355 »

Thanks for the information. Would it be okay for me to use that Mandy cover for my blog?

I'm surprised "Trixie's Treasure Chest" didn't survive the merger as I would have thought that was one of Debbie's most popular stories.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

peace355 wrote:Would it be okay for me to use that Mandy cover for my blog?
Of course it would.
peace355 wrote:I'm surprised "Trixie's Treasure Chest" didn't survive the merger as I would have thought that was one of Debbie's most popular stories.
It's possible that the editor of Mandy felt that it was repetitive and somewhat insubstantial, not unlike The Button Box stories that Tammyfan has been summarising recently, the basic difference being that Trixie's objects have magical powers that create chaos when used carelessly whereas although the buttons seem to have a similar property, it's one that has beneficial effects, bringing happiness into people's lives. The concepts are a bit like two sides of the same coin.