EDMOND RIPOLL EN UK

Discuss all the girls comics that have appeared over the years. Excellent titles like Bunty, Misty, Spellbound, Tammy and June, amongst many others, can all be remembered here.

Moderator: AndyB

paw broon

EDMOND RIPOLL EN UK

Post by paw broon »

This article might be of interest. It concerns the work of Edmond Fernández Ripoll in British comics, incl. girls comics
http://tebeosdefacturahispana2.blogspot ... acion.html
I do not mean to offend those who disapprove of scans and as there are many scans on the site, I would ask that you go no further than this article. Also, I realise many of you will know all about this creator, but I didn't. I hope it's useful.

RuthB

Re: EDMOND RIPOLL EN UK

Post by RuthB »

Edmond has his own blog and he usually put up scans himself of his artwork, past and present.
I know him well, so any question, feel free to ask. He is on facebook too.

http://edmondripoll.blogspot.ie/

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

See, I knew this was going to be familiar stuff for many and I'm embarrassed to admit that it was The Saint art that caught my attention. Fortunately as there is much to learn from articles like this.
The same site has this:-
http://tebeosdefacturahispana2.blogspot ... ia-de.html
with a more complete history to follow.
More info. that everyone bar me knows about. :oops:

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Oh thanks Ruth and Paw. This has brightened up my evening no end. To me, Ripoll is the definitive Wilson artist and I just enjoy his style. It reminds me of Denis McLoughlin's work but in a lighter tone.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

I think the Wilson artist was a different Ripoll Col.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

philcom55 wrote:I think the Wilson artist was a different Ripoll Col.
Phil, it looks to be the same one as the first link indicates that he also did The Floating Man in The Hotpsur which is easily identifiable as one of Ripoll's work. But like many other artists, it seems that he had a couple of styles which he would vary depending on which market he was pitching at.

Anyway, I hope it is the right artist as I love to know that some of these artists from my youth are still going and I have a small chance of meeting them before they move off this mortal coil.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

As this link from a couple of years ago shows the wonderful Ruth B. cleared up any confusion between the two by asking Edmond himself (though Lambiek are still crediting him as the artist on 'The War of the Wasps' in Hornet).

http://www.comicsuk.co.uk/forum/viewtop ... son#p64964

I think Kashgar has said the Wilson artist (Juan Ripoll?) passed away some time ago. :(

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

I seem to have started something here, sorry. But I'm glad it sems to have been cleared up 8)

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

paw broon wrote:I seem to have started something here, sorry. But I'm glad it sems to have been cleared up 8)
Paw, nothing to be sorry about. We learn more from clearing up such misunderstandings as this than we do by the bland statement of saying that artist X has illustrated strip Y.

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Hi chaps. With regard to the Ripoll business. The Ripoll who drew the Wilson strips in the Hornet and much else worked through the Bardon Art agency run by Barry Coker.
When I asked Barry about him, probably in the mid 1990's, he said that Ripoll had died, aged about 60 in the late 1980's. The christian name Juan was provided by a member of the Hornet editorial department and Barry Coker confirmed this. Besides the level of his output for the Thomson boys' picture papers another reason he was remembered by the staff in Dundee was because his work often included details which would have looked fine if strips had been set in Spain e.g curved roof tiles, but which looked out of place in a strip set in the UK. He also once famously put a wicket-keeper at each end of the crease in a cricket match.

marckie73

Post by marckie73 »

Edmond also was the artist of many, many stories created especially for the Dutch edition of Tina, from 1975 until only a few years ago. Nowadays Tina only publishes work by younger artists. All the artists whose work appeared for decades on a regular basis, like Purita Campos, Edmond, Comos, Redondo, has completely vanished. It's a pity, because in my opinion the work some of them still create today, is better and more realistic than what is has been replaced with.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

Edmond Ripoll also drew for Tammy (Melanie's Mob), Bunty (Witch!) and M&J (Door to Yesterday, What Lila Wants..., Two Plus One). He never drew for Jinty or Misty though. And I think his style would have suited Jinty too.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

colcool007 wrote:To me, Ripoll is the definitive Wilson artist
Surely the definitive Wilson artist would be Jack Glass, the one who created his image in 1943, and went on to illustrate eleven of the first twelve serials about the wonder athlete over the next decade.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Phoenix wrote:
colcool007 wrote:To me, Ripoll is the definitive Wilson artist
Surely the definitive Wilson artist would be Jack Glass, the one who created his image in 1943, and went on to illustrate eleven of the first twelve serials about the wonder athlete over the next decade.
And that is why I said that Ripoll is my definitive artist for Wilson. The definitive artist of any character that has longevity will always be a subjective answer. For example, there are four artists that I know that have artistic credits for Wilson. Jack Glass, Alan Philpott, Ripoll and Neville Wilson. Now, each fan of Wilson will have their own preferred artist depending on their interpretation of the character.

Another good example is Morgyn The Mighty. Who will go for Dudley D Watkins when you can choose from Mike Dorey, Antonio Garcia, Ted Kearon or John Cooper?

But to me, this question is best illustrated (sorry about the pun) by the fact that Bob Kane, the creator and original artist of Batman, is rarely in the top ten of Batman artists. I have to say that my choice for Batman artist is Neal Adams.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

I'm perfectly happy with your reply, Col. I was being a mite mischievous after all. I suppose this means we are not going to see eye to eye over the various portrayals of Alf Tupper. :)