Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Reprinted stories in Princess Mk.2 
Author Message

Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:41 am
Posts: 1651
Reply with quote
Phoenix wrote:
philcom55 wrote:
Wasn't Rowena based on an existing character from Celtic mythology?
I can't answer that question either, Phil, as I have mislaid my book on Celtic myths. I have, seriously, I can see it clearly in my mind's eye, but I've no idea where I've put it. I've got books everywhere in this house, even in the kitchen as there are several on the table there. To be fair, apart from my first god-daughter, who was so christened, the only other Rowena I can bring to mind was a character in Ivanhoe. She was played in the film of the book by Elizabeth Taylor.


Maybe Google will yield some answers.


Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:10 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:56 am
Posts: 5032
Reply with quote
Funnily enough I'm now the proud owner of the first page of the first episode of Rowena as well! :) (Not my favourite Tammy strip by any means, but so little of the artwork has survived I couldn't resist it)


Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:20 pm
Profile

Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:41 am
Posts: 1651
Reply with quote
philcom55 wrote:
Funnily enough I'm now the proud owner of the first page of the first episode of Rowena as well! :) (Not my favourite Tammy strip by any means, but so little of the artwork has survived I couldn't resist it)


Lucky you! :cheers:


Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:21 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:56 am
Posts: 5032
Reply with quote
On the subject of those acetate overlays I can't help wondering how many must have been needed every week for the full-colour covers of titles like Misty, Tammy, Jinty, etc. Compared to today's digital publishing methods they really do seem to be incredibly primitive!


Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:31 pm
Profile
Guru

Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:15 pm
Posts: 2602
Reply with quote
Beautiful daughter of Hengist and wife of Vortigern, king of the Britons.


Mon May 01, 2017 8:38 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:56 am
Posts: 5032
Reply with quote
Thanks Kashgar. I see she became something of a witch in later life as well: sounds as though the writer appropriated her name but little else. I can't help feeling the character still has a lot of unexplored potential if Rebellion ever decide to revive their recently-acquired properties in new stories.


Mon May 01, 2017 11:43 am
Profile

Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:41 pm
Posts: 430
Location: UK
Reply with quote
philcom55 wrote:
Having just treated myself to some more artwork for my birthday I thought one newly-acquired page from "Stefa's Heart Of Stone' provided a fascinating look at IPC's production techniques during the 1980s.

Very jealous at the idea of being able to buy lovely Phil Townsend work! Good for you.

_________________
jintycomic.wordpress.com/ Excellent and weird stories from the past - with amazing art to boot.


Tue May 02, 2017 12:24 pm
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:56 am
Posts: 5032
Reply with quote
If you're interested Comixminx I did pick up an extra Stefa page you're welcome to have for the price it cost me (though I'm not sure how much the postage would be as it's on stiff board and quite large). I'll scan it so you can see when I get chance.


Wed May 03, 2017 1:14 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:56 am
Posts: 5032
Reply with quote
Here's a nice detail. (I think this was from the third episode)

Image


Thu May 04, 2017 1:38 pm
Profile

Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:41 pm
Posts: 430
Location: UK
Reply with quote
philcom55 wrote:
If you're interested Comixminx I did pick up an extra Stefa page you're welcome to have for the price it cost me (though I'm not sure how much the postage would be as it's on stiff board and quite large). I'll scan it so you can see when I get chance.

Wow! A generous offer Phil and I do love Townsend art but I am a bit torn. Stefa is one of my least enjoyed stories, the tear-jerking puts me off! I do appreciate it but I will say no (though I realise I will almost certainly not get a better chance to get some Jinty artwork, and certainly never one for one of my favourite stories). Alas!

_________________
jintycomic.wordpress.com/ Excellent and weird stories from the past - with amazing art to boot.


Thu May 04, 2017 9:06 pm
Profile WWW

Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:41 am
Posts: 1651
Reply with quote
comixminx wrote:
philcom55 wrote:
If you're interested Comixminx I did pick up an extra Stefa page you're welcome to have for the price it cost me (though I'm not sure how much the postage would be as it's on stiff board and quite large). I'll scan it so you can see when I get chance.

Wow! A generous offer Phil and I do love Townsend art but I am a bit torn. Stefa is one of my least enjoyed stories, the tear-jerking puts me off! I do appreciate it but I will say no (though I realise I will almost certainly not get a better chance to get some Jinty artwork, and certainly never one for one of my favourite stories). Alas!


Stefa was not one of my favourites either, though there were plenty of comments in Jinty's letter column that she was one of the most popular stories and there was a huge demand to repeat her story.


Thu May 04, 2017 10:08 pm
Profile
Guru

Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:15 pm
Posts: 4787
Reply with quote
Although I haven't read Stefa's Heart Of Stone, that panel does seem to me to present the key moment that drives the serial. If I were a Jinty enthusiast I would certainly buy it. It would be impossible to get closer to the creative process.


Fri May 05, 2017 12:01 am
Profile

Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:41 am
Posts: 1651
Reply with quote
Phoenix wrote:
Although I haven't read Stefa's Heart Of Stone, that panel does seem to me to present the key moment that drives the serial. If I were a Jinty enthusiast I would certainly buy it. It would be impossible to get closer to the creative process.

I agree. Don't pass up the opportunity, even if the story is not one of your personal favourites.


Fri May 05, 2017 12:23 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:56 am
Posts: 5032
Reply with quote
comixminx wrote:
Wow! A generous offer Phil and I do love Townsend art but I am a bit torn. Stefa is one of my least enjoyed stories, the tear-jerking puts me off! I do appreciate it but I will say no (though I realise I will almost certainly not get a better chance to get some Jinty artwork, and certainly never one for one of my favourite stories). Alas!


No problem Comixminx. :) I picked that page for precisely the reason that Phoenix mentions so I'm happy to keep it in my own collection. There's no need to feel torn about your decision however: I only wanted you to know that it's there if you want it, and the offer will remain open if you ever change your mind.

Though I haven't read every episode my own feeling about the serial is that it started well (in spite of the tearful histrionics) setting up a very clever premise, but rather lost direction the longer it continued with Stefa's actions becoming increasingly mean-spirited and obnoxious as the melodramatic twists became ever more implausible. Nevertheless I do feel that Phil Townsend's art remained utterly wonderful throughout; I'm particularly impressed by the way in which he drew faces, capturing subtle changes of emotion with apparent ease yet always ensuring that each character, however minor, was quite unique and instantly identifiable (I wonder if he used a lot of models?). It really is a shame we know so little about him.


Fri May 05, 2017 4:29 am
Profile

Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:41 am
Posts: 1651
Reply with quote
philcom55 wrote:
comixminx wrote:
Wow! A generous offer Phil and I do love Townsend art but I am a bit torn. Stefa is one of my least enjoyed stories, the tear-jerking puts me off! I do appreciate it but I will say no (though I realise I will almost certainly not get a better chance to get some Jinty artwork, and certainly never one for one of my favourite stories). Alas!


No problem Comixminx. :) I picked that page for precisely the reason that Phoenix mentions so I'm happy to keep it in my own collection. There's no need to feel torn about your decision however: I only wanted you to know that it's there if you want it, and the offer will remain open if you ever change your mind.

Though I haven't read every episode my own feeling about the serial is that it started well (in spite of the tearful histrionics) setting up a very clever premise, but rather lost direction the longer it continued with Stefa's actions becoming increasingly mean-spirited and obnoxious as the melodramatic twists became ever more implausible. Nevertheless I do feel that Phil Townsend's art remained utterly wonderful throughout; I'm particularly impressed by the way in which he drew faces, capturing subtle changes of emotion with apparent ease yet always ensuring that each character, however minor, was quite unique and instantly identifiable (I wonder if he used a lot of models?). It really is a shame we know so little about him.

This is the reason why Stefa is not one of my favourites. She became increasingly unsympathetic with her stupid, selfish, hard-hearted behaviour, and nothing seemed to get through to her at all. It was her parents and Ruth I felt sorry for.


Fri May 05, 2017 4:37 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Designed by ST Software.