Refugees from Sally

Discuss all the girls comics that have appeared over the years. Excellent titles like Bunty, Misty, Spellbound, Tammy and June, amongst many others, can all be remembered here.

Moderator: AndyB

Marionette

Refugees from Sally

Post by Marionette »

I'm researching some stuff for my blog. What I'm interested in is the strips that started off in Sally and were carried over to Tammy. As I've only read a couple of issues of Sally I have very little idea how The Cat Girl and Sarah's Kingdom got started, and I'd like to know something about their origins before I write about them.
The Tammy Project: Documenting the classic British girls' comic, one serial at a time.

Tammyfan

Re: Refugees from Sally

Post by Tammyfan »

30th Century Comics does have the third issue of Sally, but I guess it would be out of your price range at £6. I don't think I have any Sallys, so I can't help this time.

Marionette

Post by Marionette »

I'm not sure the third issue would help much. Even if The Cat Girl started in the first issue, they'd have probably got her origin out of the way by issue 3. And checking the three issues I do own, Sarah's Kingdom is definitely a later entry, as it doesn't appear in the September 1969 issue I have.

I forgot, there's also Maisie's Magic Eye, but since that's a humour strip it's entirely possible they never have an introductory episode where she first receives the broach.
The Tammy Project: Documenting the classic British girls' comic, one serial at a time.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

Marionette wrote:I'm not sure the third issue would help much. Even if The Cat Girl started in the first issue, they'd have probably got her origin out of the way by issue 3. And checking the three issues I do own, Sarah's Kingdom is definitely a later entry, as it doesn't appear in the September 1969 issue I have.

I forgot, there's also Maisie's Magic Eye, but since that's a humour strip it's entirely possible they never have an introductory episode where she first receives the broach.
You never know. They had introductory episodes for LLD and Sue's Fantastic Fun-Bag.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Here's how Maisie met her Magic Eye (art by Tom Hurst apparently).

When I get chance I'll check on the other characters you mention as well.

- Phil R.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

Philcom: thanks for that. It's good to see how Maisie got her brooch and it did have an origin. I suspect we're going to have a fun Sally discussion here.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

One suspects that Maisie must have never read any HP Lovecraft, or seen any 1950s SF films. If I was a comic strip character I certainly wouldn't go within a hundred miles of a newly-landed meteorite! :)

- Phil Rushton

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

I wonder how she had it made into a brooch. Someone in school or a jeweller?

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Tammyfan wrote:I wonder how she had it made into a brooch. Someone in school or a jeweller?
Could have been something done in GCSE Art by herself.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

colcool007 wrote:Could have been something done in GCSE Art by herself.
Hardly, Colin! She was at school between 1969 and 1971, but the GCSE exams weren't brought in until 1986.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Here's the second page of that first Maisie story. It doesn't add anything to the backstory but I like the idea of her using the magic eye to make readers 'buy, borrow or beg' (though not steal) next week's issue! :)

- Phil Rushton

Marionette

Post by Marionette »

Thanks, Phil. That's excellent. Can you tell me what issue that is from?

I note also that originally the broach only seems to have hypnotic powers. It must have been a later development for it to become able to bend reality into a pretzel.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Phoenix wrote:
colcool007 wrote:Could have been something done in GCSE Art by herself.
Hardly, Colin! She was at school between 1969 and 1971, but the GCSE exams weren't brought in until 1986.
Well, the equivalent of whatever passed for GCSEs in them days! :D I, however, am far too young to know what that was. :lol:
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Maisie made her debut in Sally no.1, alongside this introductory episode of the Cat Girl.

...To be honest I'd forgotten that her feline abilities were magical in nature and came from her costume!

- Phil Rushton

Marionette

Post by Marionette »

Phil, you are a star. Thank you very much.

Although it looks like the same artist, the strip has become more stylised by the time it hits Tammy, and the costume has got a little tighter. I guess Cathy grew into it.