Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Endings of Stories 
Author Message
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:32 pm
Posts: 261
Location: Uk
Reply with quote
Would anyone be able to help out with a quick summary of the last issue of the following stories.

RoseMary - ended Nikki #72
The House of the Silver Sword - ended Diana #7


Also wondered about some issue dates when did Tara's Terrible Twin start (it ended Mandy #843) and when did Cinderella of the Orphanage start (ended Bunty#173)?
Also what were the start and end dates for The Countess of Monte Cristo (Judy circa 843)

_________________
http://girlscomicsofyesterday.com/


Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:20 pm
Profile WWW
Guru

Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:15 pm
Posts: 4776
Reply with quote
Issue 72 of Nikki is literally the only issue of that story paper that I don't have. Sorry Lorraine.

In the final instalment of The House Of The Silver Sword in Diana Suzette Jamieson is in a panic because she cannot find the sword, and knows that Aunt Claire will never forgive her if it is lost. Just then Aunt Claire comes in with the sword, and holding Moira Parr, one of the competitors, by the ear. She wants an explanation. Moira admits she took it as a joke. Aunt Claire accepts that explanation and goes on to warn Moira not to treat Suzette as one, given that she is going to win the Schools' Fencing Contest. To be clear, all the competitors are treating Suzette as a joke because of her badly soiled fencing outfit, which has recently been rescued from a duck pond. Suzette wins her semi-final. Aunt Claire then takes her into an anteroom where her parents are waiting. Joy is unconfined. In the final Suzette has Moira as her opponent, and wins with a brilliant performance. The Schools' Fencing president presents the trophy to Suzette. Aunt Claire insists that they are all to go back with her to her home, Beaugarth, where Suzette has been living recently, as she knows that will make her big house a less lonely place. Weeks later Suzette's portrait is added to the Jamieson collection there. A toast is then drunk to the fencing Jamiesons, especially to Suzette, the greatest of them all.


Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:33 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:32 pm
Posts: 261
Location: Uk
Reply with quote
Thanks, for the summary, knowing the sequels to House of Silver Sword, knew things would work out for Suzette but nice to know how!

Hopefully someone else can help with the other.

_________________
http://girlscomicsofyesterday.com/


Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:59 am
Profile WWW
Guru

Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:15 pm
Posts: 4776
Reply with quote
Tara's Terrible Twin starts in Mandy 824 (Oct. 30 1982).

Cinderella Of The Orphanage starts in Bunty 157 (Jan. 14 1961). It is a story in text form rather than in pictures.

The Countess Of Montecristo runs in Judy 840 (Feb. 14 1976) - 850 (Apr. 24 1976).


Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:56 pm
Profile
Guru

Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:15 pm
Posts: 4776
Reply with quote
peace355 wrote:
Would anyone be able to help out with a quick summary of the last issue of the following stories. RoseMary - ended Nikki #72
I've just spent four days in London, Lorraine, mainly for my granddaughter Aurora's fifth birthday, but last Monday on arrival at Euston I went straight to the British Library to order up for Thursday the bound volumes of Nikki for 1986 (for RoseMary) and Suzy for 1985 and 1986 (for Force Of Evil), both of which they categorise as low use material so would be stored in the library's facility in Boston Spa in Yorkshire. However, when checking the catalogue for the serial numbers, Suzy was there but Nikki wasn't. I then queried this with one of the librarians and he confirmed my fears. The British Library don't have that title, but he assured me that the National Library of Scotland do. So if I am to get the last instalment of RoseMary I will have to pay for the photocopies. All I could do on Thursday then was summarise Force Of Evil. Later today I will do the requested summary of the last instalment for Tammyfan. Just to whet her appetite I can tell her here that the name of the protagonist isn't Potter but Peel.


Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:13 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:32 pm
Posts: 261
Location: Uk
Reply with quote
That's very kind of you to check. I didn't realise the National Library of Scotland would have copies, I don't have a library card for there but I can certainly look into getting one.

_________________
http://girlscomicsofyesterday.com/


Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:47 am
Profile WWW
Guru

Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:15 pm
Posts: 4776
Reply with quote
Force Of Evil : Suzy 170 (Dec. 7 1985) - 181 (Feb. 22 1986).

181 (Feb. 22 1986) Carol Peel's family and the Resistance fighters are all captured and taken to a large shed at Sin-Pact headquarters. Soldiers of the Sin-Pact come in and tell them that Paul Peel has suggested a way for the rebels to make themselves useful. They are to put on the protective suits to test their efficiency. The reaction from one guy is that it's another of Peel's dirty tricks as he knows the coveralls are defective, and plans to kill all the prisoners so that in the event of the Sin-Pact forces being beaten he cannot allow any witnesses to his treachery to remain alive. Suddenly a stream of gas flows into the shed and the soldiers are overcome. From a helicopter above HQ comes the following message from Paul Peel. Members of the Resistance, this is Paul Peel speaking. The experimental gas that I have used will cause all Sin-Pact soldiers to remain unconscious for fifteen minutes. During that time I suggest you tie them up securely. I will land and take charge of operations as soon as the gas has dispersed. Meanwhile, you should comandeer (sic) all Sin-Pact vehicles and load them with every available weapon. When all the trucks are loaded, depart and round up your countrymen. You must fight for the freedom of your land. The Sin-Pact soldiers will not put up much of a fight now that their leaders have been eliminated. I apologise for bringing you here by a trick, and for failing to explain the reason for your arrest. However, I was acting under orders from our British Underground Government. They instructed me to pose as a collaborator so that I could send coded messages to them during my regular broadcasts on Sin-Pact TV. When the helicopter lands Paul Peel emerges from the cockpit. He then asks the members of his family what they are doing there as after he had rescued Carol from the trench* he had assumed that they would all stay out of trouble, and when the arrests were being made he had felt awful pretending not to recognise them, especially as his son Jon was hurt, but goes on to say that he might have guessed that his little girl would stand up for him. The Resistance fighters leave in a convoy towards a series of checkpoints throughout the country for the weapons on the lorries. Paul excuses himself by saying that all he did was carry out a clever plan that other people devised, whereas Carol on the other hand had to decide what to do all by herself, and therefore she is the true heroine. The Peel family is reunited at last.
* When Paul rescued Carol from the trench, which was soon to be filled with water, her rescuer was not described and Carol certainly didn't know it was her father. However Paul had lowered a rope to her and had left a note telling her to leave the village immediately without even saying her goodbyes at the farm.


Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:51 am
Profile
Guru

Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:15 pm
Posts: 4776
Reply with quote
peace355 wrote:
That's very kind of you to check. I didn't realise the National Library of Scotland would have copies, I don't have a library card for there but I can certainly look into getting one.
Thanks for the offer, Lorraine. Do you actually live in Glasgow or some nearby town? Even if you do, to be honest I doubt whether it's worth your while going to all the trouble of joining the library just to get a photocopy for me of the instalment in issue 72, especially as you would have to sign an agreement promising not to make further copies. I rang them this morning and they have asked me to email my requirements to them on Monday, and I'll pay them over the phone with my debit card for the relevant pages, three probably. It won't break the bank, and I will probably have them by next weekend.


Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:04 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:32 pm
Posts: 261
Location: Uk
Reply with quote
I do actually live in Edinburgh so it wouldn't be much trouble for me, if you are happy to get photocopies yourself that's fine, otherwise I have some time off work the end of October when I could go check.

_________________
http://girlscomicsofyesterday.com/


Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:38 pm
Profile WWW
Guru

Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:15 pm
Posts: 4776
Reply with quote
peace355 wrote:
I do actually live in Edinburgh so it wouldn't be much trouble for me, if you are happy to get photocopies yourself that's fine
I've just had a look at the map, Lorraine, and it looks like a bit of a hike for you up the M8. Let's put that decision off until I see how successful I am on Monday. There is certainly no point in your going unless they won't do the photocopies for me, but thank you sincerely for the offer.


Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:58 pm
Profile
Guru

Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:15 pm
Posts: 4776
Reply with quote
Update here, Lorraine, on the last instalment of RoseMary in issue 72 of Nikki. I rang the National Library of Scotland earlier today about the matter, giving them the name of the story paper, the issue number and its date, along with the title of the specific serial I wanted copied, and they have just rung me back to tell me that there is no evidence in their catalogue that they actually hold any issues of Nikki. Personally I don't think they have checked thoroughly enough but it no longer matters because between my call to the library and their reply I found a copy of 72 on eBay as a Buy-It-Now so, despite its somewhat dishevelled appearance, I bought it. The sellers are the notorious hannah11zoe so the price was rather exorbitant at £7.19 plus £1.65 p&p, but unless the pages containing the instalment of RoseMary are missing, it will have been worth the money, especially as it will complete my set of Nikki. It also means that I will not be hamstrung by the library's copyright so I will be able to send you a photocopy of the instalment if you want it. Furthermore, even at that price, I will be paying less than I paid that library a year or so ago for just one three-page instalment of Hard Times For Helen (£9.60) so that I could read the serial in its entirety, and post a summary of it for Tammyfan so that she could more or less do likewise. I couldn't send her photocopies as I had signed an agreement on line not to duplicate the pages without paying them another £9.60, and I certainly wasn't about to charge her.


Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:54 pm
Profile

Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:41 am
Posts: 1649
Reply with quote
Phoenix wrote:
Force Of Evil : Suzy 170 (Dec. 7 1985) - 181 (Feb. 22 1986).

181 (Feb. 22 1986) Carol Peel's family and the Resistance fighters are all captured and taken to a large shed at Sin-Pact headquarters. Soldiers of the Sin-Pact come in and tell them that Paul Peel has suggested a way for the rebels to make themselves useful. They are to put on the protective suits to test their efficiency. The reaction from one guy is that it's another of Peel's dirty tricks as he knows the coveralls are defective, and plans to kill all the prisoners so that in the event of the Sin-Pact forces being beaten he cannot allow any witnesses to his treachery to remain alive. Suddenly a stream of gas flows into the shed and the soldiers are overcome. From a helicopter above HQ comes the following message from Paul Peel. Members of the Resistance, this is Paul Peel speaking. The experimental gas that I have used will cause all Sin-Pact soldiers to remain unconscious for fifteen minutes. During that time I suggest you tie them up securely. I will land and take charge of operations as soon as the gas has dispersed. Meanwhile, you should comandeer (sic) all Sin-Pact vehicles and load them with every available weapon. When all the trucks are loaded, depart and round up your countrymen. You must fight for the freedom of your land. The Sin-Pact soldiers will not put up much of a fight now that their leaders have been eliminated. I apologise for bringing you here by a trick, and for failing to explain the reason for your arrest. However, I was acting under orders from our British Underground Government. They instructed me to pose as a collaborator so that I could send coded messages to them during my regular broadcasts on Sin-Pact TV. When the helicopter lands Paul Peel emerges from the cockpit. He then asks the members of his family what they are doing there as after he had rescued Carol from the trench* he had assumed that they would all stay out of trouble, and when the arrests were being made he had felt awful pretending not to recognise them, especially as his son Jon was hurt, but goes on to say that he might have guessed that his little girl would stand up for him. The Resistance fighters leave in a convoy towards a series of checkpoints throughout the country for the weapons on the lorries. Paul excuses himself by saying that all he did was carry out a clever plan that other people devised, whereas Carol on the other hand had to decide what to do all by herself, and therefore she is the true heroine. The Peel family is reunited at last.
* When Paul rescued Carol from the trench, which was soon to be filled with water, her rescuer was not described and Carol certainly didn't know it was her father. However Paul had lowered a rope to her and had left a note telling her to leave the village immediately without even saying her goodbyes at the farm.


Thank you, Phoenix.


Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:43 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:32 pm
Posts: 261
Location: Uk
Reply with quote
Phoenix wrote:
it will have been worth the money, especially as it will complete my set of Nikki. It also means that I will not be hamstrung by the library's copyright so I will be able to send you a photocopy of the instalment if you want it.


That would be great thanks! It's a pity I'd checked 30thcenturycomics but they didn't have the issue, and their prices are reasonable. Ebay seller does sound a bit pricey but as you say it works out cheaper than library and completes your collection then it's not so bad!

_________________
http://girlscomicsofyesterday.com/


Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:00 pm
Profile WWW
Guru

Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:15 pm
Posts: 4776
Reply with quote
Issue 72 of Nikki duly arrived this morning as expected, Lorraine, the upshot of which is that a photocopy of the final instalment of RoseMary will be with you some time tomorrow as I sent it First Class. Oh, and my collection of Nikki is now complete of course. :up: :D


Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:10 pm
Profile
Guru

Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:15 pm
Posts: 4776
Reply with quote
peace355 wrote:
The Countess of Monte Cristo
Phoenix wrote:
The Countess Of Montecristo
An apology from me is required here because peace355's version is the correct one. I'm currently listing all the titles in Judy's run, and I have just this minute reached the starting point of The Countess Of Monte Cristo in issue 842 (Feb. 28 1976).


Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:59 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Designed by ST Software.