Phoenix's Future Plans

Discuss all the girls comics that have appeared over the years. Excellent titles like Bunty, Misty, Spellbound, Tammy and June, amongst many others, can all be remembered here.

Moderator: AndyB

stevezodiac

Re: Phoenix's Future Plans

Post by stevezodiac »

I envy you being in Cornwall. As a stargazer myself I expect you can see the milky way in all its glory?

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Currently, Steve, there is a thick cloud covering, which has been shielding everything above it ever since I read about your envy. Maybe Tomorrow, as the Everly Brothers memorably sang all those years ago. I wouldn't risk any money on it though.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

As a mod in the late seventies I remember Maybe Tomorrow as a single by The Chords, a local band who sounded more like the Jam than the Jam. Big fan of the Everlys too.
Last edited by stevezodiac on 06 Jan 2018, 18:19, edited 1 time in total.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

stevezodiac wrote:I remember Maybe Tomorrow as a single by The Chords
I've just listened to this on YouTube, Steve. It isn't the same song that the Everly Brothers recorded. The other difference is between a cacophonous racket on the one hand and the close harmonies of the Everlys on the other.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Sorry Derek but after a few years of listening to the Moody Blues, Yes and Genesis along came punk rock and I was hooked. Still a fan today. Although I'm still happy to listen to Tales From Topographic Oceans. A few weeks ago I bought what I thought was an Everly Brothers greatest hits CD in the flea market but it turned out to be a live album.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

stevezodiac wrote:A few weeks ago I bought what I thought was an Everly Brothers greatest hits CD in the flea market but it turned out to be a live album.
It's still the Everlys though, Steve, with their tight harmonies. Turn the amplifier up a smidgen and embrace the pleasure.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

I have just finished selecting the serials from DIANA that will feature in BUNTY AND HER SISTERS, making that nine of the eleven titles completed. Just JUDY and BUNTY to go!!!!! Don't hold your breath just yet, but with a fair breeze behind us we'll get there eventually. :D

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

I have more or less settled on the serials from the eleven story papers for girls that have made the cut, and will therefore appear in BUNTY AND HER SISTERS, so can I ask interested members for one final time to let me know the titles of their particular favourites so that I can make sure I include them if they are not already on my list. The scheduled start has been delayed for several days due to issues beyond my control, but all seems set fair for this coming weekend. It is particularly important to let me have these titles if they begin with A or B, as I am presenting all my synopses in alphabetical order, but the earlier the better nevertheless if the titles begin with any other letter. I would certainly like to have your recommended titles by midnight on Friday.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

I expect Balloon of Doom and Angel were strong contenders? :)

I wouldn’t mind “Be Nice to Nancy!”, but at one point you said you regarded that as an average story. Oh, well.

Other favourites, off the top of my head:

Catch the Cat - Bunty
Wendy at War - Debbie
Hard Times for Helen - Judy
Witch! - Bunty
Ring of Truth - Bunty
The Impostor! - Bunty
Minnie the Meanie - Judy
Bad Luck Barbara - Mandy
The Shop at Shudder Corner - Spellbound
Money Matters - M&J
Down with St Desmond’s! - Bunty
The Seeker - Bunty
I’ll Take Care of Tina! - Mandy
Miss Fortune - Bunty
Force of Evil - Suzy
The House of Broken Mirrors - Suzy
Born to Dance! - Bunty
The White Mouse - Emma
Deceived! - M&J
The Double Life of Dolly/Coppelia Brown - Mandy
The Courage of Crippled Clara - Bunty
Last edited by Tammyfan on 21 Feb 2018, 23:41, edited 3 times in total.

helsbels

Post by helsbels »

Down With St Desmond's is a favourite of mine. Wendy At War from Debbie is another.

davidandrewsimpson

Post by davidandrewsimpson »

I still fondly remember A Bed Called Fred from my sister's Buntys in the late sixties. I'd love to see it in your book.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Tammyfan wrote: I wouldn’t mind “Be Nice to Nancy!”, but at one point you said you regarded that as an average story. Oh, well.
Well, Briony, I would not allow the fact that I am not particularly keen on a specific serial to persuade me to leave it out of the book. "Be Nice To Nancy!" was popular and involving, and furthermore was a kind of blueprint for later serials in a similar vein. It has earned its entry. Balloon Of Doom, Angel, Wendy At War and Down With St. Desmond's have all been chosen, but I will have to look again at A Bed Called Fred and The House Of Broken Mirrors. I don't recall The Seeker. so I'll need to check it out. Can anybody save me some time by giving me the issue numbers, or at least the year it appeared, as my notes are not all-encompassing. Thank you all for your observations.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

Oh, thank you for including Be Nice to Nancy! :D

And how about The Dancing Donnellys from Bunty?

comixminx

Post by comixminx »

My knowledge of DCT titles and stories is rather lacking, so I can't really come up with my own list very well. The story about the Frightful Fours was rather good, I remember from earlier posts on this forum; and likewise I would put in votes for Wendy at War and for the White Mouse, but really only based on what others have posted on here.
jintycomic.wordpress.com/ Excellent and weird stories from the past - with amazing art to boot.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

Here’s a link to info about The Seeker and issue numbers: http://girlscomicsofyesterday.com/2015/04/the-seeker/