Phoenix's Future Plans

Discuss all the girls comics that have appeared over the years. Excellent titles like Bunty, Misty, Spellbound, Tammy and June, amongst many others, can all be remembered here.

Moderator: AndyB

Phoenix
Guru

Re: Phoenix's Future Plans

Post by Phoenix »

As I mentioned a few days ago, I am in the process of deciding which serial stories for girls will feature in my next book. One that I would like to include is The Silver Sword from Suzy in 1986. I have just discovered though that I don't have issues 200 to 203, or in other words, the first four instalments. Obviously I could go to the British Library later this week but it would feel like taking a sledgehammer to crack a nut. So, can I please ask any members who have these issues to help me out by posting the instalments here. Thank you in anticipation. :xfingers:

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

I was wondering what you were doing about Suzy. But sorry, I don't have a single Suzy. Can't help you there.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Tammyfan wrote:I was wondering what you were doing about Suzy. But sorry, I don't have a single Suzy. Can't help you there.
Not to worry, Briony. An irony is that shortly I will be in London for a few days but I will have my three-year-old granddaughter Kelsey with me most of the time. She'll be fine in the Eddie Katz play zone in Putney, and the somewhat smaller one in Roehampton Sports Centre, but she wouldn't be allowed in to the British Library as I haven't yet got her a reader's pass. As compensation on our first outing I will buy her a comic or two in W H Smiths and take her to Costa in Putney High Street where I'll lern her to reed. She's bright so I'll probably have tort her within an hour or so, at which point I'll trot her little legs down to 30th Century Comics in Lower Richmond Road where I'll pick up a batch of issues of Judy that I bought over the phone last week. She won't get her mitts on them though. She'll probably fall asleep on the 39 bus back to hers anyway. That's what she did the last time I travelled on a bus with her. Children these days have no staying power.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Phoenix wrote:One that I would like to include is The Silver Sword from Suzy in 1986. I have just discovered though that I don't have issues 200 to 203, or in other words, the first four instalments.
Nobody yet? There's still time obviously but if nobody can post the requested instalments I'll just have to leave that serial out. I don't suppose many people will notice its absence, and to be fair I can't really justify the £55.40 out of my pension for a return ticket from Liverpool to London Euston just to take half a page of notes.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

Phoenix wrote:
Phoenix wrote:One that I would like to include is The Silver Sword from Suzy in 1986. I have just discovered though that I don't have issues 200 to 203, or in other words, the first four instalments.
Nobody yet? There's still time obviously but if nobody can post the requested instalments I'll just have to leave that serial out. I don't suppose many people will notice its absence, and to be fair I can't really justify the £55.40 out of my pension for a return ticket from Liverpool to London Euston just to take half a page of notes.
Put an appeal in the general comics section Derek as there is plenty of people i'm sure who never read the girls comics section.i only just started this year regularly when i got a near complete run of Misty earlier in the year.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

I'd help if I could Phoenix, but I'm afraid I'm as Suzyless as Tammyfan. :roll:

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

Phoenix wrote:
Derek, I'm in London Thursday and my office in Angel is 15 mins walk from the British Library. I probably have a free hour or maybe more at 6pm tomorrow. Is it easy to get the info you need as I've never been there before but happy to give up the time if I can get you the info you need. You'll need to tell me exactly what to do though.

Other than next week when I'm in Chester, I'm in my office most Thursdays so can probably grab an hour at some time before the closing time if you need something. Free is always better than £55.40!

peace355

Post by peace355 »

I used to have issue #201 but it must have gone in one of my clearouts as I can't find it now. I realised I do have a scan of the first page in issue #201 but sorry I can't help further.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

big bad bri wrote:Put an appeal in the general comics section Derek as there is plenty of people i'm sure who never read the girls comics section.
A good idea, Bri, thank you. I'll do it tomorrow. I got back home from London this afternoon. I collected the issues of JUDY that I had bought from Rob at 30th Century, and I've come home without them as I left the bag containing them on the settee in the lounge of the house I stayed in. Andrew will collect them tomorrow evening and post them to me First Class Recorded Delivery on Saturday morning. Fortunately I don't need them in the immediate future. I spent most of my time there, as I had anticipated, with my three-year-old granddaughter, Kelsey. We had a lot of fun, although she did get a bit upset when she spilt a carton of milk in Costa in Putney High Street, and then managed to do the same thing with the replacement. Andrew's former partner, Maria, even made me a birthday cake, which we all polished off. I can also report that Aurora's reading aloud from her primary school readers has improved. Not degree standard yet but I'm working on it.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Adam Eterno wrote:Derek, I'm in London Thursday and my office in Angel is 15 mins walk from the British Library. I probably have a free hour or maybe more at 6pm tomorrow. Is it easy to get the info you need as I've never been there before but happy to give up the time if I can get you the info you need. You'll need to tell me exactly what to do though.
Sorry, Adam, I haven't been paying much attention to ComicsUK over the last few days. It's a bit of a pain reading all the posts on my iPhone, and to be fair I have been busy. I didn't go to the British Library anyway but I am nevertheless very grateful for your offer. Perhaps we could meet up on some future visit.

P.S. The refurbishment of Lime Street station seems to be of a couple of tracks. You will be pleased to hear no doubt that as Ken and Bessie are not on the tracks they are not having their slumbers disturbed.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

Phoenix wrote:
P.S. The refurbishment of Lime Street station seems to be of a couple of tracks. You will be pleased to hear no doubt that as Ken and Bessie are not on the tracks they are not having their slumbers disturbed.
No problems. I may look up Bessie myself tomorrow as I'll be popping into Liverpool. I'll send her your regards!

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

big bad bri wrote:Put an appeal in the general comics section Derek as there is plenty of people i'm sure who never read the girls comics section.
I took your advice, Bri, and posted the request this morning in the Comics You Didn't Buy Today section. All I can do now is sit back and wait. Maybe I'll get a PM. Worst case scenario - another trip to London. I'll have to sell a fair few copies of the book when I write it though just to get my rail expenses back. :lol:

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

Phoenix wrote:
I took your advice, Bri, and posted the request this morning in the Comics You Didn't Buy Today section. All I can do now is sit back and wait. Maybe I'll get a PM. Worst case scenario - another trip to London. I'll have to sell a fair few copies of the book when I write it though just to get my rail expenses back. :lol:
I would have made it a new topic but lets hope one of our helpful forum members can help.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

A Progress Update
Having made a few changes from my intended procedure, I have now settled on the serials from Judy, Mandy, Emma, Debbie, Spellbound, Tracy, Nikki and Suzy that will feature in my next book. Where M&J is concerned I have a list up to the middle of 1993 of the serials that have made the cut, so roughly four years worth still to be properly assessed. Diana and Bunty will be bringing up the rear, albeit with many contributions of their own. I have abandoned the idea of working towards a fixed number of synopses, such as 1500 or 2000, and I'm letting the stories speak for themselves. Until I get to the end of my assessment of the serials in Diana and Bunty therefore, I simply won't know how many I will be dealing with. That could take a while. So, Festina Lente then, as the Emperor Augustus was in the habit of saying. He is not known to have used the English equivalent Make Haste Slowly.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

Derek are you not doing a complete list of serials in the dct girls comics with a synopsis on a select few hundred.as i think its more beneficial to have a complete list for future generations as when all of us on this forum shuffle off the uk comics industry will be even more barren.as we are the last hope of trying to record and preserve it.unless of course rebellions purchase proves to be a smash and new stepping stone in a resurgence of uk comics old and new. i have a few ideas rumbling around my head of doing a complete page by page with a line synopsis for each issue of buster and other ipc humour titles.if i ever complete it as still need about 300 issues and of course learning how to build a web site and hoping to find a free one lol.and getting a scanner to scan all the front covers. I've started a little practise run with whoopee as i have all those but only done the 1st 27 issues in over a year so i know its gonna be a long hard slog.