Phoenix's Future Plans

Discuss all the girls comics that have appeared over the years. Excellent titles like Bunty, Misty, Spellbound, Tammy and June, amongst many others, can all be remembered here.

Moderator: AndyB

Tammyfan

Re: Phoenix's Future Plans

Post by Tammyfan »

Phoenix wrote:I am steadily working my way through Bunty, in fact just coming to the end of 1991, so I have listed all the serials from the first thirty of her roughly forty-two year run. However, I need to know whether the first series of Luv, Lisa ended in issue 1755 (August 31 1991) or in 1756 (September 7 1991). I suspect it will have been 1755 but the comment at the end of that episode seems inconclusive. I do have the lists that David Roach sent to me but they don't include any of the photo serials as presumably he didn't see them as art work.
There is a blurb in #1755 saying a photo story called Katy at St K's starts in #1756. But the serial ending in #1755 is "Witch!", and Luv Lisa gives no real hint of ending. However, I don't have #1756 to definitely say whether Lisa is in it or not.

peace355

Post by peace355 »

I have issue #1756 and there is no Luv, Lisa instead the photo story is Katy at St K's . Also Backstreet Hospital returns presumably to replace Witch!

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Thank you, ladies for those replies. The problem, given that I don't have issue 1756, was how exactly to interpret Lisa's final comments in 1755. ''All's well that ends well" does suggest that the events in that issue have reached a satisfactory conclusion, but on the other hand the signing off comment ''See you later. Luv, Lisa." is similar to others in previous episodes and therefore one could assume on that basis that she would be back the following week. I knew she had to have gone by then though because I do have issue 1757. I'm comfortable with my starting and ending numbers and dates for the subsequent serials, Backstreet Hospital and The Barkers, and to be fair, all the others so far.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

I've now knocked off for the day, having reached issue 1876 of Bunty, or the end of the year 1993 to put it another way. Just over seven more years worth of serials to list. To put that in context, from starting with the first issue of Emma to now, I have listed 2677 serials, and that isn't including any from Judy or Mandy, both of which I listed fully earlier this year.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Due to a couple of missing issues, I can't be sure of the starting issue number(s) of the two photo stories Best Of Enemies (ends in issue 1998) and The Boy Ban (ends in issue 1999). They appeared in the year 1996. Is anyone able to help?

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

Phoenix wrote:Due to a couple of missing issues, I can't be sure of the starting issue number(s) of the two photo stories Best Of Enemies (ends in issue 1998) and The Boy Ban (ends in issue 1999). They appeared in the year 1996. Is anyone able to help?
The Boy Ban begins #1984, 20 January 1996. And thank you for the information on its end date; we can put that into its entry out Girls Comics from Yesterday now. :)

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Tammyfan wrote:The Boy Ban begins #1984, 20 January 1996. And thank you for the information on its end date; we can put that into its entry out Girls Comics from Yesterday now. :)
Thank you for that, Tammyfan. One down, one to go. Hopefully Lorraine will have the information I need on Best Of Enemies.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

I've just checked again, Briony, and your 1984 start date for The Boy Ban is far too early. Furthermore, the only photo story running in issue 1984 is Luv, Lisa. The Boy Ban has to start in either 1992 or 1993. It isn't in 1991 but the photo story True Friends does finish in that issue so 1992 would seem the more likely.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

I rechecked my collection. Boy Ban starts #1992, 16 March 1996. The other date must be an error that crept into its entry.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

As Shakespeare once memorably stated, All's Well That Ends Well. Just Best Of Enemies to clarify now. Hopefully Lorraine will have the necessary details or a resolution might have to wait until my next visit to London, which isn't even on the horizon.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

Phoenix wrote:As Shakespeare once memorably stated, All's Well That Ends Well. Just Best Of Enemies to clarify now. Hopefully Lorraine will have the necessary details or a resolution might have to wait until my next visit to London, which isn't even on the horizon.
I imagine it would be a bit of a drag to go all the way to London to chase it up.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Tammyfan wrote: I imagine it would be a bit of a drag to go all the way to London to chase it up.
It would be a bit of a nuisance certainly, but if I were to organise the visit sensibly I could be there and back the same day. I would order by phone the relevant bound volume for a specific room on a specific day, bearing in mind that they will hold it for me for three days, travel down on the 10.47 from the now refurbished Lime Street station, get off at Euston at 1.05, underground to King's Cross/St. Pancras, and walk to the British Library. Then do all the necessary checking in one of the reading rooms, I usually choose the Music and Rare Records room these days as it's easy to get a desk there. Then a leisurely pub lunch, back to Euston, where there is a train to Liverpool at 7 minutes past every hour, and back home for my tea. Job done. It's not as if I haven't done it before, although I normally go down for five days, the last day trip being a year or more back to attend the 'Women In Comics' day presented by Mel Gibson, Jenni Scott and David Roach. If it's worth the effort I make the effort.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

Phoenix wrote:
Tammyfan wrote: I imagine it would be a bit of a drag to go all the way to London to chase it up.
It would be a bit of a nuisance certainly, but if I were to organise the visit sensibly I could be there and back the same day. I would order by phone the relevant bound volume for a specific room on a specific day, bearing in mind that they will hold it for me for three days, travel down on the 10.47 from the now refurbished Lime Street station, get off at Euston at 1.05, underground to King's Cross/St. Pancras, and walk to the British Library. Then do all the necessary checking in one of the reading rooms, I usually choose the Music and Rare Records room these days as it's easy to get a desk there. Then a leisurely pub lunch, back to Euston, where there is a train to Liverpool at 7 minutes past every hour, and back home for my tea. Job done. It's not as if I haven't done it before, although I normally go down for five days, the last day trip being a year or more back to attend the 'Women In Comics' day presented by Mel Gibson, Jenni Scott and David Roach. If it's worth the effort I make the effort.
You'll probably find other start and end dates you need from London as you go through the last six years.
Last edited by Tammyfan on 31 Oct 2017, 07:13, edited 1 time in total.

peace355

Post by peace355 »

Sorry I can't help I double checked and I don't have those issues. I don't know which issues you are missing but 30thcentury comics seem to have some comics from 1996 listed.
Last edited by peace355 on 31 Oct 2017, 07:24, edited 1 time in total.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

Best of Enemies certainly does not begin in #1992, and I have no adjacent issues that could help. :(