Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
D.C. Thomson launch new mag for girls 
Author Message

Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:59 am
Posts: 6933
Reply with quote
It's a far cry from the days of Diana and Jackie but D.C. Thomson have just launched a new magazine for 6 to 10 year old girls. More info here...

https://lewstringer.blogspot.co.uk/2017 ... girls.html


Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:15 pm
Profile WWW
Guru

Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:15 pm
Posts: 4791
Reply with quote
Thaks for posting that, Lew. It's certainly an interesting initiative. I think though that any comparisons should be with historical titles from DCT such as Pepper Street or Twinkle. rather than Bunty or Diana. A more relevant comparison could perhaps be made with current, and colourful, comics like Disney Princess, or My Little Pony. I'm not suggesting by the way that any of those titles will be listed on your weekly paper bill. :) They are not on mine either, but I will buy one copy. I'll put it in the filing cabinet that houses the first issue of Chuggington, a couple of issues of Dandy 3000, and one of Radio Times for the week in 1958 when Bolton Wanderers beat Manchester United 2-0 in the F.A. Cup Final. :D


Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:34 pm
Profile

Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:59 am
Posts: 6933
Reply with quote
Hi Derek, I mentioned Diana and Jackie in comparison just to indicate how much magazines for girls had changed in 50 years. There are, as you said, magazines closer in nature to Sweet of more recent times.

I wouldn't have used Twinkle as an example as that was aimed at the very young, whereas Sweet is intended for 6 to 10 year olds.

However we look at it though, it's a shame that Sweet isn't a story-led publication, but I wish it well.

_________________
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/


Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:24 pm
Profile WWW
Guru

Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:15 pm
Posts: 4791
Reply with quote
Lew Stringer wrote:
Sweet is intended for 6 to 10 year olds.
I have to go to Liverpool tomorrow so I'll get a copy from WHS. I'm going to be seeing my five-year-old granddaughter Aurora over Easter, and her two-year-old sister of course, one week in London, the other one at my place, so I'll try it out on her. We will read it and have fun with it together. She's a bright and curious girl, just finishing her second term in the Reception class at Robin Hood Primary in Kingston, our first choice for her incidentally, so it should be a fair but enjoyable test. I'll report back eventually.


Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:19 pm
Profile

Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:59 am
Posts: 6933
Reply with quote
Phoenix wrote:
Lew Stringer wrote:
Sweet is intended for 6 to 10 year olds.
I have to go to Liverpool tomorrow so I'll get a copy from WHS. I'm going to be seeing my five-year-old granddaughter Aurora over Easter, and her two-year-old sister of course, one week in London, the other one at my place, so I'll try it out on her. We will read it and have fun with it together. She's a bright and curious girl, just finishing her second term in the Reception class at Robin Hood Primary in Kingston, our first choice for her incidentally, so it should be a fair but enjoyable test. I'll report back eventually.


There's also Disney's Elena of Avalor, launched this week too by my pals at Panini UK, and for the same age group. I think this one might contain a story or two (not sure as I haven't seen it). I don't know if Aurora would be interested in it but here's some info for you...

http://www.paninicomics.co.uk/web/guest/news?id=92090


Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:20 pm
Profile WWW
Guru

Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:15 pm
Posts: 4791
Reply with quote
Lew Stringer wrote:
There's also Disney's Elena of Avalor, launched this week too by my pals at Panini UK, and for the same age group. I think this one might contain a story or two (not sure as I haven't seen it). I don't know if Aurora would be interested in it but here's some info for you...
I'm certain that she would be extremely interested, Lew, especially given the freebies on the front cover. However, I won't buy it until I get down there in case someone else has already got it for her. The comics section at WHS in Putney High Street is always pretty extensive, as is the traffic pollution. It's the most polluted street in England apparently. It seems a shame to be reducing her life expectancy already just to let her root through the comics section at WHS, but I remember how important it was for me to choose my own comics all those years ago. You'll have noticed, immediately I'm sure, Lew, my use of your generic term comic when I'm talking about text story papers. I can be persuaded you see. :D


Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:27 pm
Profile

Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:59 am
Posts: 6933
Reply with quote
Phoenix wrote:
Lew Stringer wrote:
There's also Disney's Elena of Avalor, launched this week too by my pals at Panini UK, and for the same age group. I think this one might contain a story or two (not sure as I haven't seen it). I don't know if Aurora would be interested in it but here's some info for you...
I'm certain that she would be extremely interested, Lew, especially given the freebies on the front cover. However, I won't buy it until I get down there in case someone else has already got it for her. The comics section at WHS in Putney High Street is always pretty extensive, as is the traffic pollution. It's the most polluted street in England apparently. It seems a shame to be reducing her life expectancy already just to let her root through the comics section at WHS, but I remember how important it was for me to choose my own comics all those years ago. You'll have noticed, immediately I'm sure, Lew, my use of your generic term comic when I'm talking about text story papers. I can be persuaded you see. :D



:lol:


Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:32 pm
Profile WWW

Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:50 pm
Posts: 1440
Reply with quote
Phoenix wrote:
I'm sure, Lew, my use of your generic term comic when I'm talking about text story papers. I can be persuaded you see. :D

miracles do happen never thought id see that in all my years on here :lol:


Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:38 pm
Profile
Guru

Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:15 pm
Posts: 4791
Reply with quote
big bad bri wrote:
miracles do happen never thought id see that in all my years on here
Don't get too excited, Bri. I'm sure it's just a phase I'm going through, and I can't imagine it lasting as long as puberty. Hope not anyway as I've never completely recovered from that experience. :)

On another matter, the rain that has been lashing down here all morning seems to have gone off to annoy another area so I might get into Liverpool after all. I'll give it half an hour or so first just to make sure, because if it's got it infamy I'll get drenched in Church Street, where WHS is, or even while I'm walking down to my local Merseyrail station to catch the train for the fifteen-minute journey to get to Liverpool Central.


Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:10 pm
Profile
Guru

Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:15 pm
Posts: 4791
Reply with quote
I was home within the hour, having managed to buy the two comics at the WHS branch in the Central Station concourse. I didn't therefore need to exit the station into the fresh air, or what passes for fresh air in the middle of Liverpool. I wasn't quite quick enough though to catch the same train back. Hardly important as they run every 15 minutes. The public arriving at any Liverpool station on Grand National day will struggle to get to Aintree though, or will have to pay through the nose for taxis, as Merseyrail operatives are going on strike that day over the issue of one-man trains if the company's removal of the guards goes ahead. :shock:


Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:58 pm
Profile

Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:41 pm
Posts: 430
Location: UK
Reply with quote
My kids are in the right sort of age range for this but the eldest is already a keen Phoenix reader and I think would be not very interested in something that didn't have a good lot of story included. She is very keen on free gifts though! :) I must say that even the Laura Howells strip is not enough to trip my interest in it at this distance, though I would give it a flick through if I saw it on the newsstand. Phoenix, how did your granddaughter take to it?

_________________
jintycomic.wordpress.com/ Excellent and weird stories from the past - with amazing art to boot.


Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:00 pm
Profile WWW
Guru

Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:15 pm
Posts: 4791
Reply with quote
comixminx wrote:
Phoenix, how did your granddaughter take to it?
We've been so busy, Jenni, that I only gave the two comics recommended by Lew to her this evening after we got back from the fairground in Southport, where at last I got to take the two girls on the Lakeside Miniature Railway. I was never going to buy Aurora The Phoenix during this visit although I'm quite likely to take out a subscription for her eventually. Initially Andrew can read them to her as despite the fact that she has been at school for two terms I can see no discernible reading or writing ability. Andrew tells me that her mother is considering withdrawing her from Robin Hood, which is technically in Kingston, and enrolling her at Granard, which was one of the satisfactory Putney schools that she and I inspected together, and one that at least one of her now teenage daughters attended. She may consult me, as she did when we attended a whole heap of Open Days last Summer term, then again she may well not. In any event I don't imagine that Andrew will get much of a say in the matter as she does like to be in control. Watch this space! Aurora and I are on homework duty tomorrow after I've had the pair of them to my local hairdresser's in the morning. We have to go to our local park to see what flowers and plants we can identify. That should be fun as I think I'm limited to daisies, buttercups and lilies. Then we have to make a model basket to hold some Easter treats. We are (She is) allowed to use an empty cardboard box and decorate it with paints or colourful Easter pictures. I will probably need to buy a current magazine or two for those! I do have enough boxes and enough glue. :)


Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:06 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Designed by ST Software.