Shirley the Shadow

Discuss all the girls comics that have appeared over the years. Excellent titles like Bunty, Misty, Spellbound, Tammy and June, amongst many others, can all be remembered here.

Moderator: AndyB

peace355

Shirley the Shadow

Post by peace355 »

A while back (I think on the Jinty site) someone made reference to a story about a girl being kept around as an organ donor? I can't find where I saw the comment but anyway having come across this story "Shirley the Shadow" where a girl is blackmailed to stay close to a wealthy girl in case she needs a blood transfusion, I thought it would be of interest to people!

Phoenix
Guru

Re: Shirley the Shadow

Post by Phoenix »

In case anybody is minded to read Shirley The Shadow, it appeared in MANDY 432 (Apr. 26 1975) - 438 (Jun. 7 1975).

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

I think I read somewhere that some female writer refused to write the script for this one because she thought the premise was too horrible. Ye editor insisted on proceeding, but he must have contracted another writer. :shock:

comixminx

Post by comixminx »

Yes, it did come up in discussion didn't it! I will have to go back and search - in fact I would have thought it was on Lorraine's site but she would have remembered if so... :) Anyway the artist is the fantastic Manuel Cuyas, who only appeared in a Jinty annual (a reprint from an earlier title).
jintycomic.wordpress.com/ Excellent and weird stories from the past - with amazing art to boot.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

comixminx wrote:Yes, it did come up in discussion didn't it! I will have to go back and search - in fact I would have thought it was on Lorraine's site but she would have remembered if so... :) Anyway the artist is the fantastic Manuel Cuyas, who only appeared in a Jinty annual (a reprint from an earlier title).

I see from Phoenix's info that the story only had seven episodes. Maybe our female author's, um, misgivings were right and it ended up being cut short for this reason? It doesn't look like this story was reprinted either.