Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Girl with the Power 
Author Message

Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:41 pm
Posts: 429
Location: UK
Reply with quote
Phoenix wrote:
Phoenix wrote:
If I were to restrict all future books to just a listing of the serials, each with a three-line summary and the heading block illustration as I did within This Was The Wizard, I could start that tomorrow for any of the other members of The Big Five and indeed all the company's titles for girls if people feel that would be enough.
This comment was inviting reactions from members but so far nobody has responded. Does this mean that I should just carry on regardless or does nobody care either way?

I think I managed to miss that earlier comment / question, Derek. Speaking for myself, it feels like such a basic listing would be a bit too skimpy - for instance there is no mention of listing information about any creator credits that might be known. I appreciate of course that we so often have huge gaps in our knowledge about creators and other folks who helped to make it happen, so there is a cogent argument that if you can't put in a complete list of creators, is it even worth having an incomplete list, at any rate when you're talking about printing it? And I also appreciate that it is better to have some info even if it is skimpy, as it can be built on by others subsequently, so it is a hard thing to decide one way or another. But that's my two pennorth at any rate.

_________________
jintycomic.wordpress.com/ Excellent and weird stories from the past - with amazing art to boot.


Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:07 pm
Profile WWW
Guru

Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:15 pm
Posts: 4776
Reply with quote
Well Jenni, I would certainly want in all cases to include the name of the artist who drew the first heading block illustration. I already have a complete list for Bunty from David Roach, whose contribution I would want to acknowledge on the front cover and the spine. There are of course ten other comics, the artists of whose serials I would also like to include. I obviously do not envisage eleven books though so even if I get the names of the artists of all the serials in the other ten comics I would still need to restrict the content to a personal selection of 3000 memorable serials. If I include a shortish Introduction and a central section of illustrated covers, the resulting book would be approximately 250 pages long. There would be no need for a list of titles at the back of the book as I will present them in alphabetical order. I think I made this point somewhere a couple of days ago. Of course if I am unsuccessful in getting the names of all the heading block artists I will just have to omit that feature. Your point about the information being built on by others later underpins my plan to produce the volume as a Source Book. It may not turn out to be complete in some people's eyes but it should be thorough enough for the majority of enthusiasts.


Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:55 pm
Profile

Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:41 pm
Posts: 429
Location: UK
Reply with quote
Phoenix wrote:
Well Jenni, I would certainly want in all cases to include the name of the artist who drew the first heading block illustration. I already have a complete list for Bunty from David Roach, whose contribution I would want to acknowledge on the front cover and the spine. There are of course ten other comics, the artists of whose serials I would also like to include. I obviously do not envisage eleven books though so even if I get the names of the artists of all the serials in the other ten comics I would still need to restrict the content to a personal selection of 3000 memorable serials. If I include a shortish Introduction and a central section of illustrated covers, the resulting book would be approximately 250 pages long. There would be no need for a list of titles at the back of the book as I will present them in alphabetical order. I think I made this point somewhere a couple of days ago. Of course if I am unsuccessful in getting the names of all the heading block artists I will just have to omit that feature. Your point about the information being built on by others later underpins my plan to produce the volume as a Source Book. It may not turn out to be complete in some people's eyes but it should be thorough enough for the majority of enthusiasts.

In terms of it being a Source Book, what are your thoughts or expectations about availability? You kindly sent me copies earlier of previous works but will these new books be on sale generally, and if so via what channels? I believe you are keen on print rather than ebook versions and that would also affect your plans I assume. And I assume there would be the normal copyright copies sent to the copyright libraries so that people would be able to refer to those copies in the future in any case.

I would be happy to buy a copy myself I should say! :D

_________________
jintycomic.wordpress.com/ Excellent and weird stories from the past - with amazing art to boot.


Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:33 am
Profile WWW

Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:41 am
Posts: 1649
Reply with quote
I'd like a copy too!


Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:53 am
Profile
Guru

Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:15 pm
Posts: 4776
Reply with quote
comixminx wrote:
In terms of it being a Source Book, what are your thoughts or expectations about availability? You kindly sent me copies earlier of previous works but will these new books be on sale generally, and if so via what channels?
Where my first two books were concerned, Jenni, there were three actual sales outlets, Border Bookshop in Todmorden, 30th Century Comics in Putney and me. Carole Collinge at Border even drove over to my house from hers in Bacup just before Christmas 2014 for a personal collection of twenty copies of This Was The Wizard in case the weather up there took a turn for the worse, as it normally does on such high ground. Both shops will get however many copies of the new book they ask for even though Carole has sold Border. I did of course register both titles with the two wholesalers, Neilsens, and Gardners, because then someone could go into any bookshop in the world and order a copy easily due to their ISBN numbers, of which I still have a few left in my allocation for future books. Neilsens and/or Gardners would then email me and ask me to send them as many copies as had been ordered, and I think they paid me in advance, including my p&p charges. Phil Shrimpton, a major online comics auction dealer, who until recently traded from Brighton but has recently moved further north, ordered forty copies of This Was The Wizard, and asked me to sign twenty of them. I believe that he had already sold them in advance. I have also sold quite a few by personal contact and at book fairs where I have had a table. I have about 15 of my Free Gifts In The Big Five left out of the 250 that D.C. Thomsons printed for me. I think I still have 40 or so copies of This Was The Wizard left out of the 150 that were printed and bound for me by a firm in Stockport. I plan to advertise both titles on eBay once I have moved down to Cornwall. I presume that my advertising of the new book will be similar to those for the earlier volumes, which included adverts in Card Times, now under new ownership as The Card Scene, journals similar to Story Paper Collectors' Digest, which I think became defunct on the death of Mary Cadogan in 2014, the local papers in Liverpool, Warrington and the Wirral, and the London Review Of Books, although I never personally saw that one.
comixminx wrote:
I assume there would be the normal copyright copies sent to the copyright libraries so that people would be able to refer to those copies in the future in any case.
Yes, of course. I sent one copy of each book as they were published to all the copyright libraries. I also sent one to the guy who converted my second book into pdf files, as required by the Stockport printers, a personal one to my contact at Thomsons and two more for their own reference library. There are also copies of both books in Sefton's main reference library in Southport.


Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:40 pm
Profile

Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:41 pm
Posts: 429
Location: UK
Reply with quote
Phoenix wrote:
comixminx wrote:
In terms of it being a Source Book, what are your thoughts or expectations about availability? You kindly sent me copies earlier of previous works but will these new books be on sale generally, and if so via what channels?
Where my first two books were concerned, Jenni, there were three actual sales outlets, Border Bookshop in Todmorden, 30th Century Comics in Putney and me. Carole Collinge at Border even drove over to my house from hers in Bacup just before Christmas 2014 for a personal collection of twenty copies of This Was The Wizard in case the weather up there took a turn for the worse, as it normally does on such high ground. Both shops will get however many copies of the new book they ask for even though Carole has sold Border. I did of course register both titles with the two wholesalers, Neilsens, and Gardners, because then someone could go into any bookshop in the world and order a copy easily due to their ISBN numbers, of which I still have a few left in my allocation for future books. Neilsens and/or Gardners would then email me and ask me to send them as many copies as had been ordered, and I think they paid me in advance, including my p&p charges. Phil Shrimpton, a major online comics auction dealer, who until recently traded from Brighton but has recently moved further north, ordered forty copies of This Was The Wizard, and asked me to sign twenty of them. I believe that he had already sold them in advance. I have also sold quite a few by personal contact and at book fairs where I have had a table. I have about 15 of my Free Gifts In The Big Five left out of the 250 that D.C. Thomsons printed for me. I think I still have 40 or so copies of This Was The Wizard left out of the 150 that were printed and bound for me by a firm in Stockport. I plan to advertise both titles on eBay once I have moved down to Cornwall. I presume that my advertising of the new book will be similar to those for the earlier volumes, which included adverts in Card Times, now under new ownership as The Card Scene, journals similar to Story Paper Collectors' Digest, which I think became defunct on the death of Mary Cadogan in 2014, the local papers in Liverpool, Warrington and the Wirral, and the London Review Of Books, although I never personally saw that one.
comixminx wrote:
I assume there would be the normal copyright copies sent to the copyright libraries so that people would be able to refer to those copies in the future in any case.
Yes, of course. I sent one copy of each book as they were published to all the copyright libraries. I also sent one to the guy who converted my second book into pdf files, as required by the Stockport printers, a personal one to my contact at Thomsons and two more for their own reference library. There are also copies of both books in Sefton's main reference library in Southport.

Thanks for the explanation, Derek! You have clearly put a lot of effort into making sure that the finished items are suitably available, I am impressed because it's quite hard to do that sort of thing well.

_________________
jintycomic.wordpress.com/ Excellent and weird stories from the past - with amazing art to boot.


Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:05 pm
Profile WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Designed by ST Software.