A Clue to the Identity of "Merry"??

Discuss all the girls comics that have appeared over the years. Excellent titles like Bunty, Misty, Spellbound, Tammy and June, amongst many others, can all be remembered here.

Moderator: AndyB

Goof

A Clue to the Identity of "Merry"??

Post by Goof »

I hesitate to raise false hopes by posting this item. I know from reading this forum that a lot of effort and expertise has been spent trying to identify this artist, and it seems on the face of it unlikely that this possible lead has been overlooked. However, I’ve not seen it referred to elsewhere, so on the off-chance it may be of use, here goes.

This picture is the illustration for a text story in the Daily Mirror Book for Girls 1971. It’s a useful feature of the early Daily Mirror Books that they provide a lot of writer and artist credits, and although the artists’ names are often incomplete, they seem to be generally accurate. The artist credit for this picture is “B. Jackson”.

Is it by Merry? There isn’t a lot to go on, and I’m certainly no expert, but I can see some strong resemblances. In particular, there are two features which were regular trademarks of this artist when drawing girls or young women: the mouth is given a strong pout in an acute diamond shape, that the eyes are elongated outwards in “oriental” fashion, with an upward turn at the outer edge. They were a particular feature of Merry’s work in the early 70’s, in stories like Four Friends at Spartan School (Tammy 1971) and The School of No Escape (Sandie 1973).

It may slightly increase the odds in favour of it being Merry that this Daily Mirror annual includes a picture story which, although not credited, looks to me very much like Merry’s work.

What do people think?

Tammyfan

Re: A Clue to the Identity of "Merry"??

Post by Tammyfan »

Thank you for this. Hmm, the profile of the girl on the left does look a bit like Merry. Is there a spot illustration inside of the text story?

Goof

Post by Goof »

I'm afraid not. This is the only illustration to the story.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

Goof wrote:I'm afraid not. This is the only illustration to the story.
Ok. The evidence is sketchy, but it is enough for me to second Merry. What do others think?

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Excellent detective work Goof! David Roach has one of the best eyes in the business (maybe even two!) and he says that this could well be Merry. Strangely enough I'd only just unearthed my own copy of that book and was about to look through it when I saw your post.

comixminx

Post by comixminx »

I agree that this could well be by 'Merry'! Of course my first thought was to hop over to Facebook and see what David Roach thought, and I saw there that you were ahead of me, Phil:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... 569&type=3

I really like the other page you posted on FB Phil, can you also post it here so that people don't necessarily have to click through to FB to see it?
jintycomic.wordpress.com/ Excellent and weird stories from the past - with amazing art to boot.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

No problem. Here's the first page of Run, Rosie, Run! from the same book!
Attachments
dmir.jpg

comixminx

Post by comixminx »

philcom55 wrote:No problem. Here's the first page of Run, Rosie, Run! from the same book!
Thanks Phil.
jintycomic.wordpress.com/ Excellent and weird stories from the past - with amazing art to boot.

comixminx

Post by comixminx »

By the way Goof, can you tell us a bit more about yourself? I see you have recently joined, and what a way to join the forum, with a potential resolution of a long-running question! Or maybe you are an old hand who has recently rejoined?

Goof

Post by Goof »

Thanks for your kind comments Comixminx, Tammyfan and Philcom. I’m glad the idea didn’t turn out to be a complete mare’s nest.

I’m actually fairly new to girls’ comics. If you had asked me about them two years ago, I would probably have given the sort of reply that you must often get from men who have never seen them – aren’t they full of ballet and ponies? However, I’ve always been keen on graphic art and cartoon art, and started getting interested in picture strip stories after I saw Titan Books’ superb reissues of the Modesty Blaise strips. Then a couple of years ago I saw a Princess Tina Annual in a secondhand shop, and was struck at once by the variety, originality and technical quality of the artwork.

Since then I’ve bought a lot more annuals, picture libraries and specials, but so far, not many weekly comics. I suppose I have shied away from the inevitable frustrations of trying to collect stories which were published 2 or 3 pages at a time over 15 or 20 issues. However, I daresay I’ll take the plunge sometime soon, as it seems clear that this is where most of the best stories are.

My main interest in these stories is still the artwork, and I’ve spent quite a lot of time over the last two years in trying to identify artists’ work, and find out who they were. But whatever I may now know about these artists comes largely from reading this forum, and the Jinty and Girls Comics of Yesterday websites. So my thanks to you all for sharing your knowledge and enthusiasm for this fascinating and very neglected art.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

Something to go on about Merry now. Thank you, Goof!
Last edited by Tammyfan on 20 Jun 2018, 21:18, edited 1 time in total.

helsbels

Post by helsbels »

I've only just seen this post and what brilliant news! It certainly looks like the hand of Merry. At least there's now something more to go on. Good work, Goof.