Trying to find Story from Bunty Annual

Discuss all the girls comics that have appeared over the years. Excellent titles like Bunty, Misty, Spellbound, Tammy and June, amongst many others, can all be remembered here.

Moderator: AndyB

peace355

Trying to find Story from Bunty Annual

Post by peace355 »

I got the following query on my site about a story in a Bunty annual:

Can anyone remember a story from a Bunty Christmas annual about a gypsy girl who discovers she the twin sister of a young girl from a well to do family in Victorian times. What year annual was it?

Someone else is also trying to track down the story. I asked if they have any more details but they haven't got back to me yet.

The Bunty annuals I've checked don't have the story are 1960, 1977-1980 and 1982-2000. So I have quite a gap in the 60s and 70s. Of course there's always the possibility it wasn't in a Bunty annual after all, but if anyone can help that would be great.

Tammyfan

Re: Trying to find Story from Bunty Annual

Post by Tammyfan »

Doesn't ring any bells with me, sorry. Can you get the people to provide more details, such as more plot details, the artwork, or whether it was in black and white or colour? Was it a complete story, text story or serial length?

Goof

Post by Goof »

I have checked the other Bunty Annuals up to 2000 (which is the last I have), and can't find this story. The only possible story in the other DCT annuals which I can think of offhand is a text story called No Time To Dream, in Mandy 1971. This involves a gypsy girl and a girl from a fairly well-off family who are long lost twins, but it's not set in Victorian times. The well-off girl gets mistaken for the gypsy girl and is forced to live with the gypsy family while she hunts for papers proving the gypsy girl's ownership of a horse.

I'll have a look through the other Mandy and Judy annuals.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

I wondered if it was a Judy annual. Could it even be a Diana annual? But the text story Goof mentioned is the closest match so far.

peace355

Post by peace355 »

Thanks for checking. At least it rules out Bunty annuals, I'll make the suggestion of the Mandy story and have a look through my other annuals too.

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Surely the enquirer can give some idea of the time frame of the annual in question? And now that Bunty has been ruled out it seems that the original memory is at fault in any event.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

The Tammy and Jinty annuals can be excluded anyway.

Goof

Post by Goof »

I've checked the full run of Judy, and Mandys up to 2000 - no joy. I've also looked at Princess up to 1969. Later Princesses are unlikely as they struck strictly to the Princess Tina cast of characters.

I see that one of the two people who asked about this story said the book belonged to her mum, and that she wanted to read the story to her own children. That must take to book back at least 40 years, possibly more.

I'll check June, and can look at Girls' Crystal and School Friend from 1962 onward. The story must surely exist somewhere, if two people remember it.

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

I'd happily dig out my School Friend and Girl's Crystal annuals 1950-1962 and look through them if need be, but surely if somebody is asking for this information they could be a little more forthcoming with details that would help us to help them. For instance when was the lady being read this story by her Mum? If she could answer that then, at least, within a five year period or so, we could put a limit on the years that would be too recent to fit.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Kashgar, I'm looking for a Dennis the Menace story where he is punished by his dad in the last panel. It was somewhere between 1955 and 2005. Dennis wore a black and red jumper in it. :)

peace355

Post by peace355 »

Thanks for all your replies! I had got in contact with the people for more details and the original person who asked has said it was in fact the story from the Mandy 1971, she must have mis-remembered the time period it was set in. The other person hasn't replied yet but I assume it was the same story. Thanks Goof for suggesting it!

I have got another query

"I’m being driven slightly dotty by fragments of memory of stories from Bunty or Mandy, probably from issues in the early to mid ’80s….

The first story I remember is of a girl who was transported to a fantasy-land where she had to find her way home but most of the signposts said the wrong thing, the rocks and the animals all seemed to speak etc….

Second story, and perhaps this was even more of a cheese-dream, I just remember it was a futuristic world where ‘older people’ were sent off to die. Not much, but surely a strong enough hook for someone to recall it?"

I think the first story may be Prisoners of the Rainbow from Bunty which I will suggest to the person, but any idea on the second?

Thanks again

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

The first one sounds more like The Land Of Nowhere to me.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

The second one sounds like it was inspired by Logan's Run, so it must have been published in the 1970s or early 1980s.

peace355

Post by peace355 »

Good call on the Land of Nowhere, seems to be the right one.

As for the second they've added

"I just have this hazy recollection that the older adults (grandparents, maybe) were sent away in that society, with the implication being they were to die. Sounds dark but it was definitely a comic strip and I mainly read Mandy and Bunty back then."

It wouldn't be unusual for stories to be influenced by other media, so you could be right Tammyfan about a Logan's Run connection.

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

stevezodiac wrote:Kashgar, I'm looking for a Dennis the Menace story where he is punished by his dad in the last panel. It was somewhere between 1955 and 2005. Dennis wore a black and red jumper in it. :)
I think I've found the one you mean, but then again.....