The Girls Of Pen-Friend Academy

Discuss all the girls comics that have appeared over the years. Excellent titles like Bunty, Misty, Spellbound, Tammy and June, amongst many others, can all be remembered here.

Moderator: AndyB

Phoenix
Guru

The Girls Of Pen-Friend Academy

Post by Phoenix »

Could somebody please give me the issue number and date of the final instalment of the second series of The Girls Of Pen-Friend Academy, which started in issue 474 (Feb. 14 1976) of MANDY. To avoid uncertainty, there was no episode in 476 or 477, and I have no reference to it after 477. Was it therefore just a two-episode story? The requested information is unfortunately not on Lorraine's excellent Girls' Comics Of Yesterday site nor in my notes taken in the British Library several years ago. I must have been hungry or weary at the time! Currently I am both. Thanks for any help.

peace355

Re: The Girls Of Pen-Friend Academy

Post by peace355 »

It must have just been 2 episodes. I only listed the episode in issue #474 as I thought it was a one off complete story, due to few gaps in my collection. I've doubled checked and from the issues I have there was no episodes 476,477, 478, 480, 481 or 482.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Thank you, Lorraine, for taking the trouble to check those issue numbers. The story unfortunately appears within my only significant sequence of missing issues of Mandy, which runs from 457 to 488, although in that run I do have 468, 477, and 481. Of course I do also have notes from the British Library on all my missing issues, just not, it would appear, on the last instalment of The Girls Of Pen-Friend Academy, but there are no other challenging lacunae as far as I can see. I could have chosen to be pragmatic, and just left the story out of the book, but as it's certainly good enough to be included I obviously can't ignore it, even if I eventually need to visit the British Library again.

As for my general progress, I have completed my selections from seven and a half (roughly) of the eleven titles. Just Mandy to complete, then Diana, Judy and Bunty. Hopefully I will have made my decision before Christmas on the complete list of titles to be summarized, a task that will start early in the new year.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Phoenix wrote:Hopefully I will have made my decision before Christmas on the complete list of titles to be summarized, a task that will start early in the new year.
The first part of that forecast is proving to be overly optimistic as I'm still not much over half way through my selection of the serials from Mandy. On reflection, given that the serials for the book from Diana, Judy, and Bunty also have yet to be chosen, April would seem to be a more achievable aim. As a result, making a start on the writing of the book will, I imagine, be delayed until late April or May. Some things can't be rushed, and there's no urgency anyway where this task is concerned.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Phoenix wrote:On reflection, given that the serials for the book from Diana, Judy, and Bunty also have yet to be chosen, April would seem to be a more achievable aim. As a result, making a start on the writing of the book will, I imagine, be delayed until late April or May.
Well, April and May have come and gone, as have June to September. Could October be the month? I'll try to respond as Riker does to Captain Picard's "Make it so, Number One".