Need help on Maisie's Magic Eye

Discuss all the girls comics that have appeared over the years. Excellent titles like Bunty, Misty, Spellbound, Tammy and June, amongst many others, can all be remembered here.

Moderator: AndyB

Tristan

Need help on Maisie's Magic Eye

Post by Tristan »

Hello all,

I'm currently working on an index of the translations of Maisie's Magic Eye by French publisher Arédit in their digest-sized comics. Thanks to a copy of the contract between Arédit and Graph-Lit (the agency which represented IPC in Europe), I know that Arédit bought all stories published in Sally from 14.06.1969 to 14.11.1970, but I'm still missing a few issues of Sally to be able to make a perfect match for every story I have found in French.

Here are the Sally issues for which I'm still needing visual reference:

11.04.1970 [44]
25.04.1970 [46]
02.05.1970 [47]
23.05.1970 [50]
06/13.06.1970 [52]
20.06.1970 [53]
27.06.1970 [54]
04.07.1970 [55]
25.07.1970 [58]
15.08.1970 [61]
22.08.1970 [62]

If anyone has any of these 11 issues, would they please be so kind as to post the covers here (provided the Maisie story starts on the cover)?
Anything will do as long as it allows me to match the issue with the stories I have in French.

Best,
Tristan

comixminx

Re: Need help on Maisie's Magic Eye

Post by comixminx »

Tristan wrote:Hello all,

I'm currently working on an index of the translations of Maisie's Magic Eye by French publisher Arédit in their digest-sized comics. Thanks to a copy of the contract between Arédit and Graph-Lit (the agency which represented IPC in Europe), I know that Arédit bought all stories published in Sally from 14.06.1969 to 14.11.1970, but I'm still missing a few issues of Sally to be able to make a perfect match for every story I have found in French.

11.04.1970 [44]
25.04.1970 [46]
02.05.1970 [47]
23.05.1970 [50]
06/13.06.1970 [52]
20.06.1970 [53]
27.06.1970 [54]
04.07.1970 [55]
25.07.1970 [58]
15.08.1970 [61]
22.08.1970 [62]

If anyone has any of these 11 issues, would they please be so kind as to post the covers here (provided the Maisie story starts on the cover)?
Anything will do as long as it allows me to match the issue with the stories I have in French.

Best,
Tristan
It's always worth looking at Catawiki to see if you can spot covers and story details:
https://www.catawiki.com/catalog/comic- ... 1-sally-44
jintycomic.wordpress.com/ Excellent and weird stories from the past - with amazing art to boot.

Tristan

Post by Tristan »

comixminx wrote:
Tristan wrote:Hello all,

11.04.1970 [44]
25.04.1970 [46]
02.05.1970 [47]
23.05.1970 [50]
06/13.06.1970 [52]
20.06.1970 [53]
27.06.1970 [54]
04.07.1970 [55]
25.07.1970 [58]
15.08.1970 [61]
22.08.1970 [62]

Best,
Tristan
It's always worth looking at Catawiki to see if you can spot covers and story details:
https://www.catawiki.com/catalog/comic- ... 1-sally-44
Thanks for the tip, but I have already done it. The 11 issues listed above are really the only ones not to be found anywhere online.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed someone here with a complete Sally run (I know there is at least one) will heed my call and respond.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

I have six of the issues on your Wants List for 1970, Tristan, as follows:-

23 May
6/13 June
20 June
27 June
25 July
22 August

I am happy to scan the relevant pages for you, and to send them through the post to you. I'm far too busy to do scans and then put them up on comicsUK. If you are happy for me to go ahead, please PM me your address.

Tristan

Post by Tristan »

Phoenix wrote:I have six of the issues on your Wants List for 1970, Tristan, as follows:-

23 May
6/13 June
20 June
27 June
25 July
22 August

I am happy to scan the relevant pages for you, and to send them through the post to you. I'm far too busy to do scans and then put them up on comicsUK. If you are happy for me to go ahead, please PM me your address.
Hi Derek,

That's very nice of you, but I wouldn't want you to pay postage to send me scans that you could send me by email, for instance. Would that be an option? If so, I can pm you my email address.

Best,
Tristan

PS: Are you the same Derek as the one who has all the answers on Girls' Comics of Yesterday?

Tristan

Post by Tristan »

Update: A friend from Australia has just sent me 9 out of the 11 needed visuals over Messenger!

The only ones missing now are 23 May and 22 August.

Derek, perhaps you could just tell me briefly what the action is about in these two stories? That would actually be enough for me to ID them.

Best,
Tristan

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Tristan wrote:Are you the same Derek as the one who has all the answers on Girls' Comics of Yesterday?
Well, I'm the same Derek as I was yesterday, and I do post from time to time on the Girls Comics Of Yesterday site. However, I don't necessarily have all the answers, but I do have plenty of the story papers for girls and for boys produced by D. C. Thomsons, which gives me a bit of an edge when trying to answer members' queries. When I get up on the first of January, though, I won't be anything like as visible on this site because I will be starting to write my third and fourth books, each one of which will take me six months, although there is a possibility that I will write them on alternate days. The first task though will be to make sure that all the contenders are in alphabetical order, which in both instances will immediately dispense with the need for a glossary, thus, at a stroke, saving time, paper, and money. What's not to like?

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Tristan wrote:Derek, perhaps you could just tell me briefly what the action is about in these two stories? That would actually be enough for me to ID them.
I'll do it tomorrow, Tristan. It's been a very busy day and I'm worn out.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Tristan wrote:The only ones missing now are 23 May and 22 August. Derek, perhaps you could just tell me briefly what the action is about in these two stories? That would actually be enough for me to ID them.
May 23 1970
Nora Nagger is outside a greengrocer's shop telling Maisie and Lorna not to slouch, and to remember that they attend a school for young ladies. Maisie tells Nora that her trouble is that she is toffee-nosed. The magic brooch was glowing so Nora's nose turned into a long piece of toffee. Maisie tells Nora that her nose is now firm, but unfortunately it is still the same length. The headmistress wants to know why she is wearing a false nose, and reminds her that she should be setting a good example to the juniors. Nora is unaware that her nose is as long as it is. When Maisie says "Back where you were, Nora!", Nora crashes backwards into the greengrocer's boxes of fruit, which inevitably goes everywhere. Maisie tries a different approach, saying to Nora, "Be as you were, Nora - Be normal!". The brooch has stopped glowing so Nora is back to normal, giving out her orders. The headmistress is so delighted to see the pair of them picking all the fruit up so courteously, she tells them that she will treat them to a nice cream tea.

August 22 1970
The girls get to their camp but Nora is throwing her weight about as usual. Maisie and Lorna are ordered to do the spud bashing (peeling and chopping) but in this story, with the magic brooch glowing, Maisie tells Nora to bash them herself, which she proceeds to do with a short branch. Miss Morphit gives Nora a serious dressing-down. After lunch Nora is back on the warpath, telling Maisie and Lorna to get stuck into the washing up. With the brooch glowing, Maisie says, "Oh, get stuck into it yourself, Nora!" Nora's head immediately gets stuck in a large pan, and despite the attempts of the girls and Miss Morphit, the pan will not move. When Maisie then says, "Your head will have to shrink, Nora!", it does, and the pan flies into a policeman's left eye, and Nora's head continues to shrink until it disappears inside the neck of her jumper. To try and get Nora's head back to normal, Maisie says, "You've got a big head, Nora!", and she then acquires one that is at least as big as the rest of her upper torso. When Nora is back to normal, she orders them to get cracking on the pots and pans, and put the tent up again when they've finished. Unfortunately, as the brooch has stopped glowing, there is nothing that Maisie can do about it.

Tristan

Post by Tristan »

Splendid ! Thank you Derek, that helped me to wrap up the index. :cheers:

Tristan

Post by Tristan »

Phoenix wrote:
Tristan wrote:Are you the same Derek as the one who has all the answers on Girls' Comics of Yesterday?
Well, I'm the same Derek as I was yesterday, and I do post from time to time on the Girls Comics Of Yesterday site. However, I don't necessarily have all the answers, but I do have plenty of the story papers for girls and for boys produced by D. C. Thomsons, which gives me a bit of an edge when trying to answer members' queries. When I get up on the first of January, though, I won't be anything like as visible on this site because I will be starting to write my third and fourth books, each one of which will take me six months, although there is a possibility that I will write them on alternate days. The first task though will be to make sure that all the contenders are in alphabetical order, which in both instances will immediately dispense with the need for a glossary, thus, at a stroke, saving time, paper, and money. What's not to like?
Are your first second books available, and if so, where from?

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

Tammy briefly reprinted Maisie's Magic Eye in 1979. It looked like Tammy was using Maisie as a filler until a new lineup started.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Tristan wrote:Are your first and second books available, and if so, where from?
The first one, FREE GIFTS IN THE BIG FIVE, is available from 30th Century Comics, 18 Lower Richmond Road, PUTNEY, London SW15 1JP, or direct from me. Either way it will cost you £30 plus p&p. The second one, THIS WAS THE WIZARD, is currently only available from me as 30th Century have sold out. It is £25 plus p&p. Both books are in A4 format and are in new condition. If you would prefer to buy from 30th Century Comics, their telephone number is 0208 788 2052. On the other hand, if you would prefer to buy direct from me, please contact me using ComicsUK's Private Messaging system.

Tristan

Post by Tristan »

Phoenix wrote:
Tristan wrote:Are your first and second books available, and if so, where from?
The first one, FREE GIFTS IN THE BIG FIVE, is available from 30th Century Comics, 18 Lower Richmond Road, PUTNEY, London SW15 1JP, or direct from me. Either way it will cost you £30 plus p&p. The second one, THIS WAS THE WIZARD, is currently only available from me as 30th Century have sold out. It is £25 plus p&p. Both books are in A4 format and are in new condition. If you would prefer to buy from 30th Century Comics, their telephone number is 0208 788 2052. On the other hand, if you would prefer to buy direct from me, please contact me using ComicsUK's Private Messaging system.
I will buy both direct from you, as I suspect you will get a better share that way. I will PM you right away.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

I took my 10-year-old grandson, Alex, into Penzance today as he had some money left from Christmas, and had received more for his birthday four days ago. He finally decided on a large car that looked like a Formula One job, which came with a battery-controlled unit to move it here and there. I actually bought it for him as I also bought a Golden Snitch for Lois for roughly the same amount. She is well into Hogwarts, and the Snitch does actually fly. We got back in about twenty minutes, after stopping for a late lunch in McDonalds, as there wasn't a great deal of traffic. Lois was still in bed, and not in a very good mood really, due largely, I suspect, to having spent last night in their annexe on a sleepover with her schoolfriends Faye and Sienna, plus a load of food and sweets. How much sleep any of them got I will leave to your imagination. I also bought an A4-sized box file at W. H. Smiths to house and protect the two books I have written that Tristan is going to buy from me because he lives somewhere near Paris. The transaction should be completed this coming week.