Tom Smith's Schooldays in the Buddy

Formerly known as Classics from the Comics, this forum covers all of DCT's retired titles, like Beezer, Topper, Victor, Nutty and Sparky!

Moderator: AndyB

bustercumberland

Post by bustercumberland »

Does anyone know the name of the artist/writer of Tom Smith's Schooldays which appeared in the Buddy in the early 1980ies? Any information would be appreciated. I'd be interested to know if it was published in other comics.

Many thanks

tonyodonnell

Post by tonyodonnell »

I do not know his name but I always liked his unique line-style and draughtsmanship..I think he worked, mainly for Girls Comics like the Jackie. It is possible he also did work for IPC, perhaps on MISTY..that would be where to find his name, I think.

Shaqui

Post by Shaqui »

As ever, any chance of a scan? It's always easier to identify an artist's style at least by directly seeing the work...

8)

bustercumberland

Post by bustercumberland »

Thanks for the help.

I have a jpeg of this (scanner's knackered) I can email.

Any other information would be great.

bustercumberland@yahoo.co.uk

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Hi Buster. The name of the Buddy 'Tom Smith' artist was Brian Delaney and his work did indeed appear more frequently in girls comic titles like Diana etc. The name of the author is more problematic as the scripts were updated from the original Wizard stories in the 1940's/1950's. Boys story paper supremo Bill Blain came up with the original idea and a fair amount of the early episodes were written by Vernon Frost.