the Beezer 1973

Formerly known as Classics from the Comics, this forum covers all of DCT's retired titles, like Beezer, Topper, Victor, Nutty and Sparky!

Moderator: AndyB

Peter Gray

the Beezer 1973

Post by Peter Gray »

[img:400:300]http://i4.ebayimg.com/05/i/000/cb/14/8521_1.JPG[/img] On ebay they are selling a complete year.......very tempting...seems to be a lot of complete years for sale...makes collecting easier...

What adventure stories were in that year.....?

philcom55

the Beezer 1973

Post by philcom55 »

According to my trusty copy of Kashgar's invaluable (and sadly out of print) Book of Beezer a redrawn version of 'The Iron Eaters' ran all through 1973 (5/2/72 - 12/1/74). However as that would be over 100 episodes, whereas the original series only lasted for 72 I'll leave it to the man himself to say what was added.

- Phil R.

Peter Gray

the Beezer 1973

Post by Peter Gray »

that sounds good....the iron eater...

thanks philcom

ISPYSHHHGUY

the Beezer 1973

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

----does anyone remember a late-60s 'BEEZER' story [in colour, with text, no word-balloons]-----probably centre-pages, about giant pink bubbles from outer space that totally enveloped their victims?----it was along the lines of 'IRON EATERS', and it wouldn't surprise me if this serial was penned by the same artist........

philcom55

Re: the Beezer 1973

Post by philcom55 »

ISPYSHHHGUY wrote:----does anyone remember a late-60s 'BEEZER' story [in colour, with text, no word-balloons]-----probably centre-pages, about giant pink bubbles from outer space that totally enveloped their victims?----
Try checking out this thread:

http://www.comicsuk.co.uk/phpbb2/viewto ... t=jellymen

- Phil R.

Kashgar
Guru

the Beezer 1973

Post by Kashgar »

I think the 'Iron Eaters' was already covered in another subsection of this Beezer strand. The 1970's series drawn by Sandy Calder was a revamp of the original 1960's Ken Hunter series and proved popular enough to have a few storylines added along the way to extend its run. It began and ended in the same way as the original though.

ISPYSHHHGUY

the Beezer 1973

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

I have had a view of the first two 'JELLYMEN' pages on it's own theme-thread, Phil........this is a brilliantly-researched and thorough analysis on this still-potent strip..........this definately brings back the evocative, creepy essence of this strip, which I am very happy to see has been saved from obscurity and is extremely well-represented as long as this site exists..........

------there is too much data for me to take in on one sitting, but once my brains have recovered from their temporary 'JELLO' -like state, I will be returning to soak in more details from this truly iconic 60s strip.

Kashgar
Guru

the Beezer 1973

Post by Kashgar »

1973 was an unusual year for Beezer, Peter, in that no new strips began in that year. That being the case the run down of strips, although not in order, was as follows
Bob McGrath - Ginger, Little Mo.
Tom Bannister - Pop Dick and Harry, Colonel Blink.
Bill Ritchie - Baby Crockett, Smiffy, Hairy Dan.
Mal Judge - The Badd Lads, The Numskulls.
Bill Hill - The Banana Bunch, Black Bun.
George Martin - Young Sid - the Copper's Kid.
Barney's Barmy Army - Ken Hunter.
Watson Kennedy - The Barkers.
Sandy Calder - The Iron Eaters.

Peter Gray

the Beezer 1973

Post by Peter Gray »

thanks for the info Kashgar...

looking at my finances I won't be buying it on ebay... :( a bit overdrawn already....expensive time of year...though hoping for some Birthday money tomorrow...I'll be 33!

loved to have got it though..

ISPYSHHHGUY

the Beezer 1973

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY when it comes, PETER.........mines was 2 weeks ago, but I only ever hear from my immediate family-----BEST WISHES on your [almost] one-third century......[sounds a lot when it is put like that........]

ISPYSHHHGUY.

Kashgar
Guru

the Beezer 1973

Post by Kashgar »

Happy 33rd birthday Peter. My God, I've got a son as old as you ( he was 33 in July).

Steve Bright

the Beezer 1973

Post by Steve Bright »

Congratulations on all the threes, Peter. I hope it's an exceptional year for you.
Wake up, smell the coffee, put on some toast...

http://www.stevebrightcartoons.co.uk

Peter Gray

the Beezer 1973

Post by Peter Gray »

thanks Spy and Happy Birthday to you 2 weeks ago and Kashgar...and now Steve 8)
I'm getting today Muppet show season 2
Looney Tunes golden dvd 5 from America
hopefully my a complete year of The Dandy 1991 I bought on ebay will be coming soon...so I can enjoy the Laughing Planet by Tom P.

Off to Peter's Palace in Woking for Lunch...eat as much Chinese as you like for a fixed price with Carol my wife.

Lew Stringer

Re: the Beezer 1973

Post by Lew Stringer »

Peter Gray wrote:thanks Spy and Happy Birthday to you 2 weeks ago and Kashgar...and now Steve 8)
I'm getting today Muppet show season 2
Looney Tunes golden dvd 5 from America
hopefully my a complete year of The Dandy 1991 I bought on ebay will be coming soon...so I can enjoy the Laughing Planet by Tom P.

Off to Peter's Palace in Woking for Lunch...eat as much Chinese as you like for a fixed price with Carol my wife.

Happy Birthday Peter. Have a great day and a prosperous year ahead.

Lew

Peter Gray

the Beezer 1973

Post by Peter Gray »

Thanks Lew....must try and see you in Bristol at the comic convention next year...

the ebay item of a year of Beezers went for 75 pounds....a bit of a jump from 30 pounds... :o a bit out of my league.... :lol: