SPARKY: I SPY--------- THE FIRST EPIC SERIAL

Formerly known as Classics from the Comics, this forum covers all of DCT's retired titles, like Beezer, Topper, Victor, Nutty and Sparky!

Moderator: AndyB

ISPYSHHHGUY

Re: SPARKY: I SPY--------- THE FIRST EPIC SERIAL

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

SPARKY' issue 215: MARCH 1, 1969..........

'What's that sound?-It's I.Spy underground! '

the strip was situated [as a rule on page 7, at this stage, sandwiched between a page split between 'HARRY PRESTO' from HUGH MORREN, and 'MEDDLESOME MATTY' [artist unknown, but a nice style]......and an early 'KLANKY' double-spreader.

SYNOPSIS; ---I SPY is despatched to SHADY SOCKS MANSION, where he outwits a private army before obtaining some plans.

SHADY SOCKS MANSION looks impressively imposing......these very early 'I SPY' strips often used the welcome plot device of an enemy 'private army' [perhaps influenced from debut BOND entry 'DR. NO' [1962]----here depicted in comic form, the soldiers are refreshingly GILES/BAXENDALE-like, in that all combatants are seperate individuals, rather than generic cop-outs..........
.......LES BARTON never shirked from highly-detailed work, and at times appeared to positively revel in it.

this is a nice, vital outing, with our hero once more escaping his still-standing suit [which is shot full of holes]. One of the soldiers touchingly pipes out 'the LAST POST' , in the mistaken belief I SPY is a goner.

DEVICES: radio reciever, harpoon-launcher [with manual winch [for entry into 'SHADY SOCKS'], vertical drill , 'tea-break hooter' [!] and power-ejector [for 'abandoning suit'.]

I SPY is last seen suit-less, returning to base 'wearing' an usurped bush........he displays a definate set of eyeballs, supporting the welcome theory that he is in fact HUMAN, and not some sort of super-robot.

NEXT WEEK----- -'I.Spy's surprised-By a house that flies!'

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Without checking I'm pretty sure that 'Meddlesome Matty' was drawn by James Malcolm.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

JAMES MALCOLM: yeah, I think he also drew 'HARRY CARRY' for 'SPARKY' a bit earlier......he just seemed to disappear off the comics scene altogether around the era I am covering here.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

'SPARKY' issue 216; MARCH 8, 1969.

'He can't be stopped-Nor copped!'

SYNOPSIS: I SPY'S mission: to investigate MUD MANSION, where he outsmarts martial-arts expert KARATE CHIP, before gaining entry into said premises........however.......

'I SPY' ---the strip-----was experimenting with format from the outset, and even this early in the game, the writing was looking for a wider canvas. This is the first in the 'continued-next-week' vein, which oddly features two seperate villians over the two parts.

Brilliant inventive use of gadgetry here, when I SPY returns a high-velocity shell to sender...........THIS is what this strip is all about! The design of I SPY himself also reaches 'definitive ' mode from here on.

---this ends with I SPY breaching the mysterious mansion from where a FIENDISH CACKLE is eminating............in the closing frame, the house WHOOSHES skywards, revealed to be a trap for our hero.......

I SPY'S GADGETS: patent 'shell and bullet sender-backer,' spring ejector, tin-opener, and hinged mega-mallet [and I MEAN 'mega!'].

'NOW WHAT? READ NEXT WEEK'S 'SPARKY' AND FIND OUT!'

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

James Malcolm moved over to Wizard where he did a lot of work in the 1970's, Inspector Bonehead etc. He died in 1978.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

-----yes, now you mention it, kashgar, I seem to recall James Malcolm's work in an adventure comic from the early 70s------this very likely may have been in 'WIZARD'....I will check up on steelclaw's corresponding site later................back then, I was a 'funnies' fan first and foremost, so his work would have appealled to me.......I specifically remember a court scene in one of these strips he did, in which a literalist gag of: 'GUILT 'written all over their faces' was employed on some baddies, to great effect.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

'SPARKY' issue; no. 217........march 15, 1969........

' I Spy WRECKS- all the plans of Mr X!'

SYNOPSIS; [cont. from last week]----aboard the rocket-propelled 'flying house' from last week's issue, I SPY encounters MR X.......and another PRIVATE ARMY. Utilizing his extensive gadgetry, I SPY escapes detection........AGAIN!

This is the first 'proper' appearence from MR. X, here resplendent as he appears from the top of an ornamental staircase.........his polished top hat, and swirling cloak , cement him---visually----as I SPY'S most formidable foe. A non-stop succession of inventive gags here........however, the notion that I SPY carries around a 'life-size model' of himself, is, well...........how on EARTH does he manage to cart around a dummy that is the same size and mass as himself?---perhaps the dummy is collapsible, or inflatable.....whatever, this gag resurfaced several times.

I SPY'S gadgets [there are PLENTY in this one!]: 'extra-hungry wood-eating termites '[in box], extending escape -aparatus, helicopter-rotor, scuba-diving airpipe, and life-sized model.

MR. X'S devices: 'CHOPPER-TOPPER', and patent 'spy-spray'.

QUOTABLE QUIP: 'Got you at last, I SPY. I am MR. X. Ze world's best secret agent.'
-----------'I've never heard of you!'

----'That's because I'm so secret'.

' NEXT WEEK - ------ See I Spy being CHOPPED IN TWO!'

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

'SPARKY' issue 218: March 22, 1969;

'S not very nice-To be chopped in two TWICE!'

'I SPY' [the strip] contained very few facial close-ups: due to the sheer amount of action/events to be depicted, almost every frame is long, or mid-shot. This visual shorthand has proved to be one of the strip's strengths, and even the style of 'sound effects' employed in these early strips is excellent.

SYNOPSIS: I SPY once again is under attack from KARATE CHIP, who is seen off by a charging billy-goat.

--------KARATE CHIP cuts a relentless, dangerous figure, who is not afraid to attack I SPY head-on. A nice touch where he 'sharpens' his chopping-hand on a power-grinder. Slapstick gags are to the fore in this enjoyable outing, with a KEN DODD-like tickling-stick being an unlikely [but handy] device......

......for the THIRD time [in only 8 weeks], I SPY abandons his still-standing suit by fleeing down a man-hole cover, and here his suit is sliced in two vertically.......he exits with the nice self-deprecating gag of his suit held together with sticking-plaster.

I SPY'S devices; ----portable tickling-stick [!], extendable paintbrush, ----and handy 'PAINTING BY [SHH!] NUMBERS OUTFIT.

-------this story proved to be the final self-contained one-page strip of the early adventures, and is an all-out slapstick affair. [a mere six of these type of 'one-offs' were ever produced in these early days].
After this, the strip changes gear, and 'ups the ante', as more complex plotting and extended stories become the order of the day.

------this page was repeated in 'CLASSICS from the COMICS' issue 123, and is one of only 4 pages of early artwork ever repeated.......KARATE CHIP will reappear in the 'SCOTLAND' jaunt that appeared in autumn '69.

'NEXT WEEK-I.Spy's in deep water in a laundry!'

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

SPARKY issue 219: MARCH 29,1969.

'Oh, my hat!- I Spy's been squashed flat!'

the 'SUPER-IRONS', part 1 of 3; ---the strip is still in single-page format at this stage.......slapstick elements are still to the fore, but the first real tinges of melodrama are introduced...the overall format begins to take recognizable shape, around this point.

SYNOPSIS;........... I SPY is despatched to the 'KLEENIT LAUNDRY' to investigate mysterious goings-on....he outsmarts some jobsworth rogues, but encounters the sight of a tank-sized 'SUPER-IRON.'.....

KLEENIT LAUNDRY looks more like FORT KNOX!----the somewhat unpromising 'laundry' theme actually unfolds into a nicely-structured, absurdist series of well-executed gags---------the nightmare themes of I SPY being dumped into a large washing-machine---then apparantly flattened-----------are offset by the 'knockabout' treatment that infuses this strip.

-----a nice touch, as amid the danger and drama, I SPY stops momentarily to admire the razor-sharp crease in his newly-pressed suit. This mini-saga represents the nearest 'I SPY' ever got to 'DOCTOR WHO' territory, in that the 'SUPER-IRON' that appears at the end of this episode is almost DALEK-LIKE, only more imposing, being tank-sized.........definately the most dramatic conclusion to any episode, thus far.

I SPY'S gadgetry: full-scale undersea diving suit [includes flippers, diving-helmet, and snorkel].

QUOTABLE QUIP: I SPY [after recieving his instructions] : 'ROGER!'

BOSS: 'BERT! BERT! THE NAME'S BERT!' [this gag was repeated ad-infinitum in the early days].

'NOW WHAT? FIND OUT IN NEXT WEEK'S SPARKY'!

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

'SPARKY' issue:220, APRIL 5, 1969...........

'I Spy's the man- To foil this plan!'

the 'SUPER-IRONS', part 2 of 3...........

SYNOPSIS;-------- I Spy foils the mega-IRON by KO'-ing it's heat-controls, causing it to sink through the floor. I Spy overhears the group of baddie's plans to unleash a fleet of 'SUPER-IRONS' who will vaporize the EARTH'S surface, and reduce it to a sea of mud--------- EVERYONE will then therefore be mucky, enabling them to 'clean up' in the LAUNDRY business!
-------I Spy succeeds in frightening the bad guys off the premises, however, a squadron of mega-IRONS are now unleashed.......

good, imaginitive use of 'BATMAN' -inspired oversized props here, including our hero being suspended from a XXXL-sised clothespeg.

I Spy is about to be unmasked, but unmasks his own stuffed lion-head [charmingly, with pre-decimal 'five shillings' price-tag attached!] with inbuilt sound-effects. This ends on a now-typical cliffhanger note, with a fleet of armed SUPER-IRONS unleashed upon our hero....

I SPY'S devices: portable catapult with missile, stuffed lion-head [with inbuilt sound-effects [!] and 2-way radioheadset.

a sense of urgency and impending danger now permeates the atmosphere of the strip, and remains a standard staple.

'HOW WILL I SPY GET OUT OF THIS ONE? READ NEXT WEEK'S SPARKY AND SEE!'

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

SPARKY number 221:April 12, 1969........

'See them loop the loop-And land in the soup!'

the 'SUPER-IRONS', ---part 3 of 3.

SYNOPSIS: I Spy utilizes the old 'life-sized-dummy' routine to escape being 'spray-starched' by the SUPER-IRON leader.....zooming ahead of the IRON ARMY [who are now in the process of flattening the outside world], he sets a powerful MAGNET trap, which neutralizes the robotic menaces. The squadron-leader releases a motorbike patrol against I SPY, who launches his 'snap-together' domed ramp, which causes the bikers to initiate a 'WALL-of-DEATH' backspin onto the surviving SUPER-IRON.

-----after the suspense-laden undercurrents of the previous two instalments, this heralds a much-needed release of tension, to the point where the story approaches 'KEYSTONE KOPS'-style slapstick................the SUPER-IRON Squadron-leader is revealed to be none other than MR. X., who-----in the context of the bizarre craft and racy plot--------------here resembles DICK DASTARDLY out of 'WACKY RACES'!-----well, fleetingly, anyway........

I SPY shovels up the human debris at the end, but MR.X ----like ,in his last outing,-----exits skywards, this time courtesy of a hot-air balloon.

This is a fine addition to the 'I SPY' canon, and is the most action-packed, sheer gag-laden entry of the early one-pagers......the only criticism I have of it is that too much action is packed into too small a space, ----[especially in part 2 of this tale, ]------at times it all seems cramped and stifled, and the now more-ambitious storylines are crying out for more lavish treatment, which requires neccessary space.....

-------no doubt, this fact was not lost upon 'SPARKY' editor IAN CHISOLM as he viewed the finished artwork, as around this time, a decision was taken to expand the format into a much-needed two-page spread.

[the strip would yield one final 3-part story utilizing the single-page system, however].

I SPY'S DEVICES: life-sized 'I SPY' model, motor-skates, portable pneumatic drill, super-magnet, clip-together mega - curved steel ramp ,and large hinged 'scoop-shovel'.

'THE END -----TIL NEXT WEEK THAT IS!'

'NEXT WEEK-----A sticky problem with top-secret toffees!'

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

'SPARKY' number 222, : APRIL 19, 1969.

------------'It ain't so hard- To fool these guards!'

'the SUPER- STICKY TOFFEE AFFAIR': [part 1 of 3]:

SYNOPSIS: I SPY recieves [via carrier-pigeon ] instructions to investigate 'TOP SECRET TOFFEES' Ltd, where 'SHHHH!'-type goings-on are imminent. Thwarting the guards, he escapes skywards, his suit blasting into 'rocket' mode.......

---------after the ambitious cavortings of the previous 3-part tale, [which was more indictive of the strip's future] this is something of a 'back-to-basics' corker, and none the less for it. Kicking off with a brilliant one-off logo of I SPY blasting off rocket-like, ---and with the overall design of I SPY himself in 'never-looked-better' mode, this is an enjoyable, straightforwards romp that retains the 'cliffhanger' closing motif for which the strip would become celebrated.

--------the definitive early story involving the much-used early staple of the 'PRIVATE ARMY ' theme, this has the nice one-off gag of an extending ladder I SPY initiates to 'escape' from his suit........and his suit is also revealed to have 'light-blue-touch-paper-and-retire' properties, as [for the first time in the strip's history] I SPY is seen to have the ability to fly--------in this very first instance, the method depicted is almost V-2 rocket-like.

NICE cliff hanger as I SPY [having unleashed his also-new 'parachute capabilities] is shot down from a large 'cannon-toffee!'

I SPY'S DEVICES: internal message-burner [efficient, but smoky!] extending radio-ariel, extending [from collar] ladder, suit -ROCKET capabilities, and large parachute . with; standard string and tub of glue.

----'AND IT'S A LONG WAY TO THE GROUND. DON'T MISS NEXT WEEK'S THRILLING INSTALMENT.'

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

'SPARKY' issue 223; April 26, 1969.

'I Spy's hangin' around-A long way from the ground!'

'The Super-Sticky Toffee Affair;' part 2 of 3:

SYNOPSIS: plummeting earthwards with his punctured parachute, I Spy ends up atop a chimney-stack, bombs the Guards with laughing-gas, then discovers a dastardly plot......

Excellent vitality as I Spy 'outs spring' and BOINNNGS! to safety at the peak of a tall chimney.......he stops the soldiers from sawing the structure down by releasing a LABELLED 'LAUGH-GAS' bomb, which resembles a WW1 shell.

Good surrealistic touch as I Spy descends groundwards [hands casually plunged in pockets, as ever] via 'SPECIAL VERTICAL WALL-CLIMBING SHOES' which have insect-like properties.......there is a very silly gag [this was 1969, same year as the birth of PYTHON] where he successfully disguises himself simply by swapping hats...

Equally silly was the typically-absurd motives of the villains [detailed below]--------this is the most handsomely-mounted, effectively laid-out single page strip of the early run.

This entry holds special significance for me, as it was the first time I ever encountered 'I SPY' [it was decades before I caught up with the preceding instalments]--------I vividly recall this particular storyline while sitting on a bus returning home from ABERDEEN city centre in APRIL, 1969.

I was attracted to the style of the strip instantly, and on closer inspection, the sheer cleverness of the gags and concept totally won me over.......I was completely hooked within seconds!

I SPY'S gadgets: vertical spring, 'laugh-gas' bomb, 'special vertical wall-climbing' shoes, springed boxing-glove [the first appearance of many] and 'super-sensitive ear-trumpet'. WITH: meter-reader cap.

QUOTABLE QUIP: BADDIE: 'This is it, mates- the world's stickiest toffee! We'll sell it all over the world.............Everyone's mouth will stick shut....so they won't be able to shout for help when we rob them! CACKLE!'

CAN I SPY STOP THE FIENDISH SCHEME? READ NEXT WEEK'S 'SPARKY' AND FIND OUT.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

'SPARKY' issue 224: MAY 3, 1969:

'Look out, folks- Quick-growin' oaks!'

the 'Super-secret toffee Affair;' ---part 3 of 3.

SYNOPSIS: I Spy is caught overhearing the plot to 'gum up' the whole world. He escapes, then manages to KO the 'TOFFEE MIX factory......

this final single-page 'I SPY' instalment contains the outrageous, TEX AVERY-like gag of I SPY planting extremely-quick-growing trees from seed, in order to block the oncoming offensive army.......a fine gag, in moderation. There is an excellent interior shot of the complex TOFFEE factory workings, after our hero storms the building in all-out war mode.

Some of the detail in early 'I SPY' is phenomenal----even LEO BAXENDALE himself never went to SOME of the lengths depicted here!

------this outing ends with another rare example of I SPY EATING [one of the production-line toffees]-----the method in which he is depicted doing this is somewhat reminiscent of TERRY GILLIAM'S cut-out animation technique!

I SPY'S DEVICES: 'instant-shower', heavy-duty battering-ram, tank-tracks, and radio-reciever/ariel. WITH: tin helmet, 'fast-gro' tree seeds.

'PSSST! THE bitter END'.

'NEXT WEEK- A new GIANT-SIZE I. Spy adventure. DON'T MISS IT!'

the very last ' I SPY' early one-pager has a clean, 'end-of term' feel about it, as if anticipating the new chapter about to commence; the strip has been very admirably experimenting up until this point, and would hereon graduate to full-blown 'adventure' status.

---the fully expanded two-page instalments [for my money, THE definitive 'I SPY'] will be outlined in the following chapter.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

INTERMISSION

-------chilled 'kia-ora' and choc-ices are available from the foyer.

the management regrets that no camcorders are allowed into the auditorium.

-----seriously, before returning to the 'I SPY' saga, there will be a short interlude outlining the world of 'comic funnies' from dim and distant 1969..........see ya then!