Beezer & Topper Relaunch!

Formerly known as Classics from the Comics, this forum covers all of DCT's retired titles, like Beezer, Topper, Victor, Nutty and Sparky!

Moderator: AndyB

stevezodiac

Re: Beezer & Topper Relaunch!

Post by stevezodiac »

I always had a soft spot (between my ears?) for the Beezer. It had great stability of characters and some, like Pop Dick and Harry, Ginger, Baby Crockett, The Banana Bunch lasted for the whole of its run while others like The Badd Lads, Smiffy, The Numbskulls &c. had very long runs too. You can pick up a 1964 Beezer and a 1984 issue and be reading practically the same strips completely.

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

I thought the late sixties Beezer was Better then Beano and Dandy.

Captain Storm

Post by Captain Storm »

I must confess I was a fan of the Beezer and the Topper.I always thought the Dandy and Beano were very old fashioned.That is not to say they weren't very well drawn though.But the characters in Beezer and Topper appealed to me....Pop,Dick and Harry;Colonel Blink;Ginger....loved them.And I would buy a relaunch title.But it ain't gonna happen!

The Cap.

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

I got an old Beezer Annual from the 70's at a car boot sale when younger. It was just "more comics to read", i didnt think about it's history or the different characters... though i do remember kids playing at farmers and me mucking about with them chanting "fool the farmer!" which was a 'board game' included in the centre-spread of the annual.

I dug it up again "recently" (sans front cover) and was amazed at how good, and hilarious, it was. Fully-painted colour throughout too... Beano and Dandy annuals of the time where still one-colour washes.

On Striker... the "history of Striker" on it's website makes for interesting reading. Apparently Smith's branches, aside from charging extortionate fee's for shelf space, "didnt know" how it could be classified. One issue would be in the sports section, the next would be with the comics, the next with the "lad mags", all in one branch! The article tells of endless letters saying that thier branch of smith's had stopped stocking it or had "skipped an issue", when in reality it had probably been mis-shelved. Sadly i didnt find out about the whole debacle until it was all over... had i known i would have started buying it, and i don't even like football

Captain Storm

Post by Captain Storm »

I have the first 20 or so Issues in mint condition(my newsagent mysteriously stopped stocking it!) and I don't like football either.The publishers were supposed to also launch an adventure style comic but alas.....Irony is ,the crew behind the venture slated The Sun who once carried its strip only to have the strip land back in The Sun's lap! :shock:

The Cap.

Conor B

Post by Conor B »

Beezer and Topper relaunch...

I love this comic, even though I wasn't born when it was cancelled!! I bought a few at a car boot sale in 2005. Here's how I'd handle the cover (first issue only - 2nd would have a comic strip.)

Comic Genius Runner Up 2006

Sidnny

Post by Sidnny »

I like the "new" Beezer and Topper. :D

Me? I used to love the Valiants and Lions of the 70s. I think it's a shame that it took DC to aquire the rights, aim them for an more mature market and publish Albion (enjoyed it though).

I'm sure we could have that ourselves and now have weekly/monthly on the same shelf as the likes of 2000 AD and Judge Dredd Megazine.

Well, maybe one day.

Question: Do DC now own the Valiant/Lion/(and the like) characters?
Reading comics since 1969. My comics are: The Dandy Xtreme (since 1969), 2000AD (since 1977), Judge Dredd Megazine (since 1990) and Spaceship Away (since 2003).

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

I've only just noticed your ad Conor. Excellent work. I'd say you definitely have a future in design. You've chosen your fonts well, and put the right emphasis on the right words. (Which even some professional designers fail to do, believe it or not.) It's clear and dynamic, and does the job to excite the reader into wanting a copy of the comic. Well done!

Lew
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/