Classics of the Beano 70 years next Month..end of July

Formerly known as Classics from the Comics, this forum covers all of DCT's retired titles, like Beezer, Topper, Victor, Nutty and Sparky!

Moderator: AndyB

Lew Stringer

Re: Classics of the Beano 70 years next Month..end of July

Post by Lew Stringer »

stevezodiac wrote:Is there no such thing as digitally remastering for the printed page? The answer will probably revolve around two words such as "viable" and "financially".
Not only that, but the end results aren't always brilliant, and then require parts redrawing, tracing over, etc, as with some of the Golden Age Marvel Masterworks.

Copies of Pow! and Smash! still turn up on eBay and at Memorabilia Shows etc so it might be more rewarding to seek out the comics themselves. That way you're getting the original printing and seeing the strip in context. The Cloak only ran for two years so there's not that many to collect.

Lew
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

chrissmillie

Post by chrissmillie »

How strange, in other places everyone's talking about Billy the Cat and the Iron Fish, yet, no-one's enthused about it in here.
STARSCAPE
http://www.StarscapeComic.co.uk
Classic British reprints and all-new comics

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

We're not stopping you ;)

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

They could have chosen a different Billy The Cat! i read that one only a few weeks ago!

Also i was under the impression the adventure stories had only been serials but that obviously wasn't the case.

It was nice to see the Vic Volcano from the 90's, that character didnt last long did he? then again i suppose there's not a great deal you can do with that idea, unlike Dennis etc. I remembered reading the 90's Minnie the first time around as well...

dandy mad

Post by dandy mad »

Ive just got the 70 years classic from the comics the first one ive bought for over 12 months and it is good for a change nice to see a wide range of strips covering the beanos 70 years but i bet it will back to normal next month why dont thomsons focus on one comic per month ie dandy one month beano the next then beezer,topper,sparky ect instead of putting them all in one issue and i dont class strips from a few years a go as classics

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

happy 100 posts, DM.....it didn't take you long!

Raven

Post by Raven »

dandy mad wrote: why dont thomsons focus on one comic per month ie dandy one month beano the next then beezer,topper,sparky ect instead of putting them all in one issue and i dont class strips from a few years a go as classics

They probably think Sparky, Beezer and Topper and their characters wouldn't have a high enough recognition factor in 2008 to sell enough copies.

dandy mad

Post by dandy mad »

Thanks spy im surprised me fingers havnt dropped of with all the typing! I remember the best of beezer/topper having beano and dandy in them also some sparky strips in them raven mind you it was the late 80s early 90s when i bought them and they seemed popular at the time so it could work and dose anyone know when the beezer/topper best ofs ended

Raven

Post by Raven »

dandy mad wrote: I remember the best of beezer/topper having beano and dandy in them also some sparky strips in them raven mind you it was the late 80s early 90s when i bought them and they seemed popular at the time so it could work

But, as you say, that's 17 years ago. It's 25 years now since Beezer and Topper ended so they probably wouldn't be confident that these titles were still prominent enough in the public consciousness.

It's something I think the really dedicated collector fans would like, though. A Sparky edition would be great. An entire Puss 'n' Boots edition would be even better!

I have a Best of Beezer from 1993. A couple of online sources say it - and Best of Topper - lasted till 1996.

dandy mad

Post by dandy mad »

The topper and beezer didnt end 25 years ago did they? Im sure they merged in 1990 and carried on for about 6 or 7 years untill it finally folded

Raven

Post by Raven »

dandy mad wrote:The topper and beezer didnt end 25 years ago did they? Im sure they merged in 1990 and carried on for about 6 or 7 years untill it finally folded

1993, wasn't it?

So how was a merger - into Beano? - dealt with? Was there an 'Exciting news inside!' announcement? Was it ever Beano and Beezer?

Conor B

Post by Conor B »

No...just one strip - the Numskulls - moved over. There never was a merger. The same with the Dandy, it never became the Dandy and Topper, just Beryl moved over.
Comic Genius Runner Up 2006

dandy mad

Post by dandy mad »

No not with the beano i mean the beezer and topper merged in 1990 and became the topper/beezer thomsons merged them due to poor sales and thus cut production costs instead of ending them

Raven

Post by Raven »

So how did they announce 'this is the end' in the final Beezer/Topper?

dandy mad

Post by dandy mad »

The beezer/topper ran from 15/09/90 to 21/08/93 when it just ended