The Beezer The Banana Bunch Leo Baxendale

Formerly known as Classics from the Comics, this forum covers all of DCT's retired titles, like Beezer, Topper, Victor, Nutty and Sparky!

Moderator: AndyB

Peter Gray

The Beezer The Banana Bunch Leo Baxendale

Post by Peter Gray »

I got the new Beano and Dandy collectors club by Phil-comics...joined recently..recieved issue 7 today..

Was over the moon to see an early Banana Bunch on the back page of The Beezer..
why did DC Thomson make this top strip go black and white and inside the comic.......?

Caseys Court was a back cover Chips star and there was no problems with that strip..!!

Also these poster Banana Bunch should be collected together coloured up and published in a Look-in best of 80's size..or the orginal size it was published as..

Also they would make great jigsaws!!

I'm always looking for early Beezers But they are very expensive and often loose on ebay..so thanks Phil for showing an early one...hope DC Thomson will show these in some kind of published way..I liked seeing the early 60's one in Best of Beezer,,,

Next wish list is I want to see the first one with the zoo talked about in the club sheet..
Last edited by Peter Gray on 15 Dec 2008, 17:38, edited 1 time in total.

Peter Gray

Re: The Beezer The Banana Bunch Leo Baxendale

Post by Peter Gray »

I love it!!!

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

a nice panto one
Phil sent me this image.I was bidding on this early Beezer But lost sadly..

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Hi Peter, Those Banana Bunch 'colour plates' only appeared on the rear cover of the Beezer for the first 13 issues and were all completed before the first issue went on sale (the comic being produced on a schedule three months ahead of it's distribution). According to Leo's ' A Very Funny Business' it was juvenile paper supremo R D Low himself who ordered the strips removal from it's full colour, rear cover spot to a red/black, (nothing in the Beezer was published in black and white) inner page citing the strip's 'rawness' as a reason why it wasn't suitable for a cover spot, a comment with which Leo seemed to have few qualms. In truth I imagine once the Beezer went on sale and the stockpile began to be distributed Leo would have found drawing these intricate colour plates laboriously time consuming and was therefore reasonably happy to continue drawing the Banana Bunch as a more traditional, multi-panelled, strip.
BTW, from issue No 14, the rear cover spot was taken over by the adventure strip 'The Kings of Castaway Island' drawn by Peem Walker which stayed there, for over two years, till No 120.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

thanks for all the information on todays many posts..
Kashgar..
:cheers:
:offtopic1:
When you've got time Andy and I would like to know who drew Captain Kid the pint size pirate..on the drips Whizzer and chips post....only when you have time..its not David M..

Leo drew many one off Banana Bunch action posters inside the comic throughout his time in The Beezer,,,just love them.. :D

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

Blog updated....on the banana bunch...it is up there with the bash street kids..great stuff

http://petergraycartoonsandcomics.blogs ... eezer.html

thanks CK...Kashgar...Phil
and other comicsuk fans for helping with my blog this year..

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

it was juvenile paper supremo R D Low himself
Aha, that's one problem in the new wiki i've started cleared up. I'll have to use info from this forum a bit more... with 'references' naturally XD