Bloopers

Formerly known as Classics from the Comics, this forum covers all of DCT's retired titles, like Beezer, Topper, Victor, Nutty and Sparky!

Moderator: AndyB

Digifiend

Bloopers

Post by Digifiend »

Quite a few mistakes in this month's Classics.

Minnie the Minx on page 65 is miscredited as Topper, despite Beano being mentioned on the final frame!
The Snobbs and the Slobbs (page 26) is referred to as a Dandy strip (the year icon says Classic Geering) but the example used is from Nutty.
Pxqztkle (page 31) is from 1993, not 1983, and is referred to as a Beezer character - he was actually in the Topper half of the merged comic.
Dirty Dick (page 64) already used recently (the episode in which he gets a pet tortoise but accidentally throws it into a dustcart by jumping on a rotten floorboard).

Surely the editor can do his research properly and avoid duplicating stories?

grumpy old man

Re: Bloopers

Post by grumpy old man »

Don't tell anyone but the hand written dates on the strips are often made up and are duplicates of the same strip from a couple of issues back!

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

None of the strips I mentioned have any date other than the year. I knew Pxqztkle's info was wrong from the fact he was in The Topper Book 1994, but not any earlier ones I have. Incidentally, he last appeared in a Beano Olaff the Madlander strip (reprinted from a 1992-3 Beezer & Topper of course) renamed Mulder. Seems like a boring name if Beano were ever to reprint the Pxqztkle strips.

Most of the strips seem to lacking specific dates this month for some reason.

grumpy old man

Post by grumpy old man »

Every third issue or so, seems to be lacking in dates – as if someone else compiled it. The Big Uggy strip also seems familiar, but that might just be me thinking they’re all very similar.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

You're right, I think it has appeared before. I definitely recognize the final frame where they enter their cave having been squashed.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Printing error blooper this month. The Badd Lads on page 37 also appears on page 4, which should be Tiny the World's Biggest Dog. :(

Also, the Skookum Skool strip on page 52 is labelled Cracker 1975. But it became The Headhunters of Skookum Skool when it joined that comic, so this one must be from Buzz.

grumpy old man

Post by grumpy old man »

Ah! But that Badd Lads strip now holds the record for the shortest time for a strip being repeated.

Incidentally check the bottom right corner of each page of the Hammer Man and you can see they’ve used a different device (blanking, shading and caption) to remove the date (20/10/73). Why?

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

I don't know why they removed the date - some stories have them, others never had them to start with, and others had them removed - including a Beano front cover (the Dennis the Menace story on page 8). Billy the Cat never has a date on it either. It says The End (implying something else will appear next month instead), but if the year 1967 is correct, it's not the last one in that series, as it originally ended in Beano issue dated 27/1/1968. In fact it looks as though the dates have been removed from that strip too - the first page by shading, the second blanked, the third with the THE END caption.

ComicCrazy

Post by ComicCrazy »

I've noticed that they've repeated strips quite often...

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

New issue out tomorrow, I wonder if they'll include the Tiny strip which should've appeared last month (see my August 3rd post).

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

ther'es no need for them to repeat strips at all, considering all the great material that has never resurfaced.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Digifiend wrote: Billy the Cat never has a date on it either. It says The End (implying something else will appear next month instead),
Yes, Billy has been replaced by Gorgeous Gus, a 1961 footie strip from Victor . Hammer Man also continues.

There's a blooper on page 29 of No.161, and another on page 30, but I'll leave it to eagle eyed readers here to spot them. ;-)

Lew
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Haven't seen the new issue yet but Gorgeous Gus is the work of artist Bert Vandeput, Victor and Hotspur's frontline football strip artist in the 1960's after having been transferred from the pages of Tiger (Roy of the Rovers). After 1960 he rarely worked for anyone other than Thomson's although he did draw the first series of Brian's Brain for Smash in 1966 which was a bit of a departure.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Lew Stringer wrote:There's a blooper on page 29 of No.161, and another on page 30, but I'll leave it to eagle eyed readers here to spot them. ;-)
Hmm, Dennis did not take over the Beano cover in 1964 (should be 35 years ago, not 45)! There's actually two mistakes on page 30. The first is that Gnasher first appeared in 1968, but they've put 1976. The second concerns the 1990s TV series. It started in 1996, not 1997.

Also, I wish they'd used a different Rasher story on page 31, as that same strip also appeared in The Beano just five weeks ago.

I assume Tiny on page 7 is the strip which should've appeared last month.

Classics credits Bert Vandeput by the way Kashgar, "a Londoner of Dutch extraction".

Jonny Whizz

Post by Jonny Whizz »

Having said that, it won't be an issue reprinting Rasher in Classics now, as he's no longer in the weekly Beano following Dennis's revamp.
'Michael Owen isn't the tallest of players, but his height more than makes up for it' - Mark Lawrenson