I SPY--------- THE SECOND EPIC SERIES

Formerly known as Classics from the Comics, this forum covers all of DCT's retired titles, like Beezer, Topper, Victor, Nutty and Sparky!

Moderator: AndyB

Digifiend

Re: I SPY--------- THE SECOND EPIC SERIES

Post by Digifiend »

:shock: He used his fist instead of a gadget? That's not normal for I Spy.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

yes, his devices are temporarily out-of-action, Digi!

This instalment reverts to the former 3-page format, with an almost 2000 AD-like 'splash' image in the opening frame, with the overbearing Grizzlies representing, perhaps, the most unusual assailants our hero ever encountered. Remarkable the way this highly dramatic opening changes gear into overt slapstick, a typical example of the way this strip subverted expectations so much of the time.

The remaining two pages recount much swift plotting, as I SPY gains the confidence of the lost SKY-PEOPLE, and we also witness the drama of the SKYWAYMEN'S final Bullion-robbery, and also another glimpse of the mysterious anti-Gravity reactor, all ancient valves and glass, but it works fine, and that's all that matters in this case.

Much fast-moving comic cavortings within the closing frames, and a very nice image in the second-last image, that of I SPY bidding farewell to the Skypeople, who he vows will never be revealed to us back here on Earth.

In summary, a very untypical entry, and if the Medievel setting makes for a fairly unbalanced centre of attraction, once you get past this, this is a fine, typically imaginitive entry, when the series was still definately firing on all cylinders, and it is perhaps the 'curates' egg' within the I SPY saga: great stuff, with some very imaginitive imagery and deadly drama .

I SPY'S DEVICES: anti-diziness pills/ anti-gravity pills/ internal rocket-motor/ large fishing net.
NEXT WEEK: THE MATIC-MEN RETURN!

next up; I SPY and the RETURN of the MATIC-MEN.

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

It is a very fine story indeed! I.Spy needed help from Mr X in defeating the bears! If he hadn't still got a few of those pills he `aquired` from old `X` at the end of their previous clash he would have been in `BIG` trouble! Mr X` pills aided I. Spy in one of the colour series stories too!

"The Skywaymen" is possibly the last truly inventive and innovative I. Spy tale to this day. It is a gem worth savouring indeed!!
A Face unclouded by thought.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

SERIAL EIGHT:

BUCKINGHAM MALICE:

..........in which the suave crime king MR MASTERMIND moves into a very plush 'des res':

I SPY and the RETURN of THE MATIC-MEN:

a thrilling chapter-play in six easily-consumed chunks.

SPARKY issue 350: October 10, 1971.

The Maticmen use I Spy for Target Practice!

synopsis:
In Pencilville Prison, smooth crime lord MR MASTERMIND relaxes nonchantedly in his basic, dreary cell, as a well-meaning warden brings him a sent cake. It has been already searched for files, but no matter: in private, MM combs the cake-crumbs for hidden micro-electronic components, the last of which he needs to assemble a small-scale radio transmitter. This device beams out signals to the site of the ruins of MASTERMIND'S original palatial quarters: in the basement, sealed metal vaults are activated......to unleash an army of six MARK II MATIC-MEN: ten-foot-tall indestructible Robots, who crackle into life!

The deadly Robots lunge into the outside world, obliterating all in their path in civvie-land. SPY HQ recieves an emergency SOS, which reveals the machine-like menaces are heading for the jail where MASTERMIND is held......soaring round to the jail, the carnage wrought by the Robots is clearly evident, and I SPY and BOSS arrive just as the Matic-men seige the outer prison courtyard, lining up outside MM's high-up jail-cell.

Mastermind gleefully greets the sight of his mobile masterpieces, and seems somewhat amused at the sight of his dreaded opponent I SPY flying into the scene: a barrage of lethal shellfire is despatched from the tank-like arms of the robots, and our heroes take cover behind the outer side of the sturdy jail-wall.......however, a seemingly direct-hit cascades around I SPY and BOSS......is this the end, already?

A cracking opening page to this one, which exudes great Gothick gloom and sense of menace:

Last edited by ISPYSHHHGUY on 10 Apr 2010, 08:11, edited 1 time in total.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

cont: The early frames detailing MASTERMIND'S aloofish stance towards the warder---who he clearly regards as inferior------is expertly handled, as the villains' insistance on impeccable manners at all times is paramount to this character. The inventive sequence with the mini-transmitter housed in a hidden brick-block suggests that MM has been taking tips from I SPY himself! The very eerie shots depicting the crumbling ruins of MASTERMINDS' once-proud center of operations-----blasted to Kingdom Come at the climax of the final BARTON story, back in MAY 1970-------are splendidly-realized, with the cobwebbed crypt-like cellar housing the now-activated, bleeping caskets containing the new, improved, MATIC-MEN MARK II Robots are the stuff of I SPY legend, and suggests that MM was planning ahead to unleash further terror in the World, even in 1970.

Page 1 handles the plotting very skilfully, and we launch straight into action and verve with page 2, which mainly centres around the chaotic events around Pencilville Prison: Mastermind appears relaxed and sedate as I SPY arrives at the crime-scene, suggesting the villain has anticipated this move all along. Great mayhem and chaos in the final 3 frames, as a barrage of deadly flak engulfs our heroes in a deadly closing situation........fantastic opener, filled with charged menace, and intense invention.

I SPY'S DEVICES: internal rocket-engine.

MORE THRILLS NEXT WEEK!
Last edited by ISPYSHHHGUY on 06 Apr 2010, 09:20, edited 1 time in total.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

cont: this issue also features the highly unusual concept of I SPY and BOSS advertising the wares of another D C T comic: artist unknown, but a fine and valiant effort, me old muckers:

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

Even Mr X never recieved such `security` I.E a prison to himself with a small army of warders for just the sole occupant!

Interesting in that similar to the Mr X `Fleas` and `Dr Q` stories that our `titular` hero doesn't appear till page two. In fact this story is actually more from Mastermind's viewpoint than I. Spy's.

It is the last high quality I. Spy story to this day as far as i'm concerned which is a pity. The story is unusual in that it goes very much `against the grain` to Mastermind's usual ethos. He is a power mad meglomaniac-but this story offers up another side to his aims-in that he doesn't really have any!!

The Mark 11 Matics are truly powerful creations. No steel casings on these fellows- even tempered steel would crumble under the forces they receive in this stories progress.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Yes, Alan: old Mastermind seems to be the UK equivalent of Rudolph Hess of Spandau jail in this one!

SPARKY COMIC issue 351; Oct 9, 1971.

I SPY and the return of the MATIC-MEN:

part 2 0f 6.

Mastermind looks for a house-----and finds a Palace!

synopsis:
Mastermind leers from his jail-cell at the carnage wrought by his robotic terrorists, and initiates PLAN X: this entails the 6 Matic-men falling to the ground and reassembling as one, in extended fashion [they almost crown poor I SPY, who has re-emerged from the convenient manhole that enabled him to escape last week's shell-blasts]. The Matic-men use telescopic capabilities to elevate to Mastermind's high-up level, where they smash through the concrete with ease, assisting MM to escape to ground-level.

The Authorities are quick to respond however: no less than an RAF barrage of shellfire strikes towards the villain: he is rendered bomb-proof when surrounded by his reinforced robots, however. I SPY and BOSS emerge from the smoking scenario, and head off in pursuit of the metallic menaces. In the city centre, Mastermind inspects the state of his Matic-maniacs, and decides their war-torn clothes need replacing: this has comical results as an exclusive tailor is plundered, and the robots are kitted out in outsized, quality clobber.

MM now decides he needs a home base for a man of his standing, noting that the Royal Family are currently out of the country: I SPY, meanwhile, is reduced to skulking at a distance hidden inside a pillar-box, where he manages to take hi-tech X-RAY pictures of the Robots. Mastermind and his robo-lackeys now patronize a high-class car showroom, where the refined rogue selects a gleaming ROLLER: the salesman looks on helplessly as the motor is taken at leisure. There is no gas in the tank, however, so MM instructs 'NUMBER 4' to bring round a petrol supply lorry, which is duly manhandled in......
Last edited by ISPYSHHHGUY on 10 Apr 2010, 08:11, edited 2 times in total.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Great eerie ambience in the opening frame, as Mastermind surveys his demonic work.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

cont: Not a great deal of I SPY himself in this episode, quite understandable as even he has to keep a safe distance from the indestructible properties of Mastermind's deadly 'MARK II' Robots, which are essentially mobile War-machines.......a nice touch in the early shots of the MATICS acting as one to create a hydraulic elevator, even if the old warhorse gag of I SPY and BOSS escaping last week's flak was easily predicted by loyal readers. That very moody ambient shot of Mastermind at the cell window is very evocative indeed.

MM's refined reference to his appalling jail clobber is a nice touch, and the fact the MATICS are indestructible is established very early in the story, via the terror-bombing by the RAF: I SPY dismisses the ariel assault as pointless, especially as he almost nabs the rogue with extendable grabbers!

Page 2 sees some welcome comedy cavortings as the trenchcoated MATICS are rekitted in plush leisurewear, much to their master's satisfaction......the sequence at the end as the villianous scoundrel selects, at his refined whim, a deluxe ROLLS very much to his elegant taste, is a fine example of the high standards of quality that Mastermind enjoys.......his decision to move into BUCK HOUSE is a further development that doubtless fills him with delight.......an abode worthy of his criminal genius, and standing!

A fine episode, straddling the twin aims of rapid plotting and refined comedy, with a nice closing visual gag.

I SPY'S DEVICES: extendable grippers only, and an X-RAY camera which is unseen.

NEXT WEEK------THE BATTLE of BUCKINGHAM PALACE!
Last edited by ISPYSHHHGUY on 08 Apr 2010, 18:37, edited 1 time in total.

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

Yes indeed! Lots of fine scenes in ep 2. Lovely blend of action and comedy which is a hard mixture to get right in `fun` strips! This is more of a `Mastermind` story than I. Spy. I don't think any other story has ever featured the `villian` so prominently!

Nice touch at the final frame where MM takes off his specs! He does at least have working eyes as far as we can see!

Those Mark II Matics are truly awesome fellows! Even `Super-spy` palls against them in my view! A pity the story never definately stated what they were constructed from-but the fact they survive a 100 plus metre fall to earth without a dent or scratch rules out any `conventional` metal or alloy! I like to think my supposition on their construct is possibly correct! :P

Oh! Lovely cartoons from your `Baby Boomer` efforts Rab! That Cat captured by `Moonies?` delightful!! :) :D :lol: :lol:

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

I think this was a six part story than a five Rab.

I wondered who sent Mastermind those cakes with Transistor parts inside! his Mom? Sister? A well wisher? Who knows!

He was wearing his hair in the style he sported in `Operation I. Spy /Grab` Tapered back. In his debut (`Mastermind Machines`) and `Copycat` he favoured the tapered back cut! I should have been a Barber! :)

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

Silly mistake! I meant `squared back` cut in `Operation I. Spy` and this story! can't concentrate!

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

well spotted, Alan, this is a 6-part tale, and the text has been altered accordingly, old son.

SPARKY COMIC, issue 352: 16 Oct, 1971.

I SPY and the Return of the MATICMEN: part 3 of 6.

MASTERMIND'S NEW HOME!

synopsis:
MASTERMIND has his plush Roller filled up with petrol courtesy of the MATICS, who are manhandling a petrol lorry! The 6 Robots , with their warped master, depart for Buckingham Palace, and I SPY manages to hook a grapnel with steel cable to the passing motor, and this is connected to a pillar-boc containg a powerful inner-rocket. By way of hand-controlled device, the shhh!-guy is able to manouvere the cargo of anti-social deviants skywards rapidly, but MM executes his own emergency escape plans: as the cable is cut, the 6 Robots bail out and smash into the concrete below!

The Robots assemble to catch the plummeting car, and MM summizes that I SPY is still at large....no matter, the MATICS clear central London by brute force, enabling Mastermind to gain access to the Palace.........the tranquil sight alerts his suspicions, however, and using binoculars, he singles out tanks hiding in upcoming undergrowth......the tanks are no match for the MATICS, and are simply obliterated at will.

The Robots power past the defensive Palace guards, and Mastermind simply walks into big Buck House at his leisure, lapping up the glorious splendour of his very lush new abode.
Last edited by ISPYSHHHGUY on 10 Apr 2010, 08:57, edited 1 time in total.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

fantastic thrills and wonder in the central gag here: